LIVERPOOL v DEBRECENI VSC - 19:45 wed 16th september cl group phase

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby beng » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Grade the team in game against DEBRECENI VSC
http://www.voteplayers.com/Matches....52.aspx
beng

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 pm

john craig wrote:
GYBS wrote:So people mentioning lucas was oridnary and loosing the ball yet to me it seemed last night it was our skipper who was loosing the ball in midfield and not lucas .

Are you Lucas' wife or something??

You go out of your way on here to defend the indefensible sometimes.

I can't remember Gerrard giving the ball away once to be honest.  I can however remember towards the end of the first half Lucas attempting a ridiculous cross field pass that was intercepted and they broke away.  Clearly embarrassed, Lucas chased the lad down and, surprise surprise, fouled him.  No change there then, story of his LFC career.

yet going by the stats gerrards completion of passes was less than lucas so by that it suggests gerrard gave the ball away more and had more incomplete passes than lucas - but no one notices that do they - yes lucas misplaced his pass and then he chased it down and won the ball back - once that happened - just the once . I will defend players when i see them playing well and last night he played well imo .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:19 pm

GYBS wrote:
john craig wrote:
GYBS wrote:So people mentioning lucas was oridnary and loosing the ball yet to me it seemed last night it was our skipper who was loosing the ball in midfield and not lucas .

I can't remember Gerrard giving the ball away once to be honest.  I can however remember towards the end of the first half Lucas attempting a ridiculous cross field pass that was intercepted and they broke away.  Clearly embarrassed, Lucas chased the lad down and, surprise surprise, fouled him.  No change there then, story of his LFC career.

yet going by the stats gerrards completion of passes was less than lucas so by that it suggests gerrard gave the ball away more and had more incomplete passes than lucas - but no one notices that do they - yes lucas misplaced his pass and then he chased it down and won the ball back - once that happened - just the once . I will defend players when i see them playing well and last night he played well imo .

Do the stats show how many of Lucas' passes were forward??  Of course you'll give the ball away less if every pass is square or backwards.  That's why it sticks in the memory if he gives it away in a game, because invariably he's been passing it square or back, and to give it away in that situation is poor play usually.  Just like last night.

If the stats truly show that Gerrard gave it away more, then it's because he was trying to create things and be progressive with his passing.  You're obviously going to give it away more if you're doing that.  I'll concede that Gerrard sometimes overdoes the money-ball, but that's what you get with Gerrard, and I'd rather have him trying to make things happen than not.

It's all opinions mate, but imo Lucas was poor last night.  Not a bad performance BY HIS STANDARDS, but poor.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:41 pm

well from what i saw last night his passes were mixed all game - forwards sideways backwards . does it matter which way they go - he enabled things to keep ticking over - kept possesion .and a lot of the passes gerrard misplaced where quiet simple ten yard balls sideways and not hollywood passes - im amazed that people say he was poor last night .that just shows to me pre judged conceptions of the lad and no matter what he does he will get slated as being poor etc
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Once again this is pure silliness. If you think Lucas did well last night, lovely. But why compare him with Gerrard as you have on other threads, and make daft comments like "it appears Lucas matched Captain Fantastic". Try and keep the conversation real and then at least it maintains something of a point.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:41 pm

why is that silly mick ? lucas has been critised for loosing possesion and misplacing passes when in fact it was gerrard who lost the ball more often and misplaced passes more often - so purely talking aboout last nights game and thats it - ie im comparing their performances in certain areas last night and in those areas im quite surprised that gerrard is getting no critisism for giving the ball away on numerous occasions.

If you think thats silly then fine your entitled to that opinion but dont come on here trying to belittle my opinion and belittle me because of what i have stated - of which has been backed up by facts
Last edited by GYBS on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:03 pm

What's with the "belittle"? I'm not trying to "belittle" anyone, I'm simply pointing out that you are talking b0ll0cks. You can't compare the amount of times someone who as you keep reminding us tries "hollywood" passes gives the ball away with someone who is looking to link things up with short passes. It's ridiculous as they have different roles within the team. Gerrard from central midfield is a burst forward and make it happen player, a game breaker whereas Lucas is a sitter and a nudger. The comparison is utterly meaningless.

You wouldn't compare the number of times Riera dribbles it past his full back with Kuyt, because they are chalk and cheese players, it would be unfair on Dirk. You wouldn't compare the number of shots Insua has with Johnson, because it would be a grossly unfair way of looking at the young Argentines game. And you wouldn't compare Lucas as a central midfielder in any sense whatsoever with Gerrard, one is a World Class perfromer and one isn't.

I'm not "belittleing" you, I'm just asking you to keep it real and to stop talking utter nonsense.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 pm

as i have stated numerous times in the threads a number of the passes gerrard misplaced WERENT hoollywood passes - they were simple ten yard balls with no one in between him and the receiever and he either overhit it or missed his target completely - your trying to suggest that i am comparing them as midfield players or centre midfielders and becuase i though in the centre of the park and the general passing lucas was better than gerrard last night when im not .

I dont give a monkey what roles they both have to play when it came to playing the ball and keeping possesion and playing nice simple passes gerrard last night was pretty poor in that aspect and a number of times lucas had to chase down those poor gerrard passes or try: retreive them from the opposing player who had picked up said gerrard poor place .

I will say it again just to make sure you have got it 100%

I am in NO Way comparing them as central midfield players or as players in general .

I was looking at one aspect of the game last night that lucas has been critisized for in last nights game and yet there was someone else who has escaped any critisism for that aspect of his game which was worse .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:48 pm

GYBS or whoever the Guardian chalkboards that Ace and others have used in the past would probably give a good comparison on Lucas and Stevie's passes if anyone could be bothered to look them up and paste them here.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:53 pm

had a look mate earlier and they arent there for cl games just prem ones it seems
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Ah, pity.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 pm

john craig wrote:

Well I step in then and show my support to what GYBS is saying lucus played better then gerrard did last night simples.

I think also you wasn't watching the same game as I was even on stats lucus had 85% pass complete gerrard 80% lucus made more passes as well and he got more clean tackles in.

All in all a better job in center midfield.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:24 am

bigmick wrote:What's with the "belittle"? I'm not trying to "belittle" anyone, I'm simply pointing out that you are talking b0ll0cks.

:laugh: New UN diplomat in the making, in fact scratch that and go for UEFA president
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games