Carson deal done! - Good news

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:23 am

"Scott Carson has been tipped to establish himself as Liverpool's undisputed number one goalkeeper by Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell. 
The England under-21 international is expected to complete his move from Elland Road to Anfield today and he's set to leave the Yorkshire club with a glowing endorsement ringing in his ears.

"I have no doubts that he can become Liverpool's No.1," says Blackwell of the highly-rated 19-year old.

"He made his debut at Old Trafford in a 1-1 draw and his next game was at Chelsea when we lost 1-0. You can't get two games much harder than that."  LFC.TV

Looks like the deal is done.. Welcome young Scott..  :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:16 am

That`s good news, I guess. And I have to say that him choosing Liverpool over Chelsea places a huge smile on my face   :)  I`ve read on different sites on the internet that he is given the best references, and there are predictions of him maturing into a goalkeeper who will have great impact in the premiership.

I don`t doubt his talent (due to all the good things written about him), although I haven`t actually seen him in action yet. But still, considering him being behind Neil Sullivan in the pecking order at Elland Road, it would seem fair to assume that he`s not able to challange Dudek for a place in the starting XI at the moment.

I don`t want to be too negative here, but I`ve got a hard time dealing with the idea that Dudek will be our unchallanged #1 for the rest of the season. After all he has lost some points on our behalf due to rather strange manouvers earlier ???
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:30 am

He's very young and inexperienced but I'd put him straight into the team ahead of the hapless Dudek.
Red_Si

Postby Kopboyau » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:54 am

If he's been signed SELL SELL Dudek
Kopboyau
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:51 pm

hooray
109-1105722616

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Hear alot of good things about him . I think RB will sell him once Kirkland recover from his injure .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:23 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:

Hear alot of good things about him . I think RB will sell him once Kirkland recover from his injure .

Imo, it would be stupid to sell Dudek until Benitez signs another experienced keeper. Kirkland is out for the rest of the season and neither Carson or Harrison have experience from games on this level.

It wouldn`t surprise me if both Kirkland and Dudek leaves Anfield in the summer. Dudek because he does too many mistakes and Kirkland because he can`t shave without risking months in the medical room. If there are bookies taking bets on this I would place my money on them leaving and Cesar signing during the summer
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SALTROCK67 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:26 pm

Rafa says Carson is one for the future,hopefully the future will start 2morrow at 12.45 in Southampton. :D  :D  :D
SALTROCK67

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:50 pm

i would start him as soon as possible so that he gets used to playin wiv our squad an gets to know our defence..an rele we shud win tomoz so it shud b a gd game to start him in...any1 agree?? :)
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:55 pm

sources i can find :

1)http://www.soccer365.com/EUROPEAN_NEWS/Premiership/page_99_89721.shtml

Carson excited about Reds move 21/01/05
Liverpool have completed the transfer of teenage goalkeeper Scott Carson from Leeds.

The 19-year-old England Under-21 international signed a four-and-a-half year deal at Anfield this morning after spurning an approach from Chelsea.

He has joined in a deal believed to be worth £750,000, rising to £1million with add-ons, and is set to go straight into the Reds' first-team squad for Saturday's visit to Southampton.

Liverpool keeper Paul Harrison, 20, has gone the other way down the M62 and joined Leeds on a month's loan.

The academy graduate has yet to make a first-team start at Anfield but could make the switch permanent if he impresses at Elland Road.

Carson, who made only two appearances for Leeds, is determined to make an impression on Merseyside.

"It's a relief that everything has been completed,'' he said. "I'm delighted to be here and can't wait to get started. Hopefully I can settle in quickly, impress the manager and become an important member of the squad.

"It's all happened very quickly. I never anticipated being here at Liverpool so soon in my career. I only played a few games for Leeds and expected to be there a bit longer. Things never worked out that way though and when Liverpool showed an interest in me I was overwhelmed.''

He told www.liverpoolfc.co.uk: "Just the fact that it's a massive club and the manager is building for the future. This club is on the up and I want to be part of that.

"I've worked with the likes of Nigel Martyn and Paul Robinson, so I've learnt things from them. Now I'll be training alongside two more great goalkeepers in Jerzy Dudek and Chris Kirkland, so hopefully that will help bring my game on even more. I'm sure there's a lot I can learn from them. They are two exceptional keepers and it's going to be a great experience working with them.''

2)
http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/0200spo....ge.html

£1m kid to save Merseymen Jan 21 2005

By The Evening Chronicle

Leeds believe Scott Carson has all the attributes needed to make the grade in the top flight as they prepare to sell the England Under-21 keeper to Liverpool.

Carson is set to ease Rafael Benitez's goalkeeping problems by completing his move from Elland Road to Anfield later today.

The 19-year-old stopper had a medical yesterday and will become Benitez's third signing during the January transfer window, providing personal terms are agreed.

Leeds spokesman Bryan Morris said: "We wish Scott the very best at his new club.

"He has proven himself to be a top-class keeper during his time at Leeds United."

Centre-back Mauricio Pellegrino and striker Fernando Morientes have arrived at Anfield to bolster the Reds' squad as they look for a high finish in the Barclays Premiership, but goalkeeping problems have been a constant worry this season.

Injury-prone Chris Kirkland struggled for form before getting sidelined with a back strain after the defeat to Everton at Goodison Park. Jerzy Dudek has deputised but appears short of confidence, allowing Wayne Rooney's long-range effort to beat him at home to Manchester United last weekend.

The Poland international kept his place for the embarrassing FA Cup defeat to Burnley but his future as first-choice goalkeeper is uncertain following Carson's arrival.

Carson's reputation as a fine prospect sparked interest from Chelsea, despite the England Under-21 international only appearing for Leeds three times.

An initial bid of £250,000 was turned down a fortnight ago but it is understood the offer was increased to £750,000, with add-ons taking the sum up to the £1m mark.

3)

http://liverpool.rivals.net/default....8371142

Carson completes Liverpool switch

By James Carroll
Date: 21/1/2005

Liverpool have completed the signing of Leeds United goalkeeper Scott Carson. The 19-year-old has signed a four-and-a-half year deal at Anfield.

The fee is thought to be around the £750,000 mark, rising to £1m depending on future appearances.

As revealed on ShanklyGates.co.uk yesterday, Leeds have taken Liverpool's third choice 'keeper Paul Harrison the other way in an initial one month loan deal. The deal could be made permanent if it suits both clubs.

Carson will travel with the Liverpool squad to Southampton later today and is likely to be named as a substitute.

Manager Rafael Benitez spoke of his delight at securing the services of the England under-21 international. He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I'm very delighted to have signed Scott. We've been looking at the player for a few months and we know he is a very good goalkeeper. He is one for the future and we hope to work well with him."

"We had two very good goalkeepers here already and now we have three. Scott is a lot younger but he will safeguard our future."

Benitez was also pleased that Carson turned down Chelsea in order to sign for Liverpool, joining Steven Gerrard and Fernando Morientes as three of the few players to have turned down mega-bucks at Stamford Bridge.

"Perhaps it is a good message for the future," said Benitez. "If you want to play for a big club it's not all about money. It's important that you have a clear idea about the future and about what you want to achieve."

"It must be difficult when you see a lot of money on offer elsewhere but Scott said always to his agent that he preferred to join Liverpool. He wanted to join a big club with history and a very good atmosphere."

Meanwhile, Carson told the official site: "It's all happened very quickly. I never anticipated being here at Liverpool so soon in my career."

"I only played a few games for Leeds and expected to be there a bit longer. Things never worked out that way though and when Liverpool showed an interest in me I was overwhelmed."

"I was on the bench here last season when Leeds got beat 3-1 and I can't wait to play out there in front of a capacity crowd."

"I've heard all about the awesome support from the Kop I'm sure they'll help me along when I play first game at Anfield and hopefully I will repay them with a good performance."

Carson also denied reports that he was a boyhood Liverpool supporter. He said: "I read that I was a boyhood Liverpool fan but I'm sad to say that's not true. I don't really support a team, although as a kid I suppose I used to follow Carlisle United."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion