Gerrard and selction - Proving some people right

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:48 am

peewee wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:most of the people who whinge about him playing on the right don't realise that even when he's playing there, he spends most of the time in central midfield anyway.

i really cant beleive you have written this without thinking it through.

ok so when gerrard strays into the centre, what happens?

ok i will tell you, finnan is left exposed. if gerrard drifts into the centre then that should tell you something, that is where he is most comfortable, that is where he is at his best for himself and the team

Peewee, do you actually believe that Rafa is tactically that poor that he would allow Gerrard to drift from the right into the centre without someone covering ?

When Gerrard drifts into the centre usually Alonso or Sissoko take up a deeper position covering the right hand side of our defence and Finnan.

When Gerrard played on the right do you remember Finnan constantly being exposed ?

I dont.

yes, finnan was criticised earlier in the season on here in fact, for his poor play at the start of the season, it was then pointed out that he was constantly being exposed by gerrard wandering.

and while we are talking about benitez being tactically poor, i will just come back at you with his poor rotation at the start of the seaon costing us any chance of the title this season, just as it did last season. rafa does make mistakes.  hamman champions league, 451, etc

i could go on but its all opinions mate, i have mine and you have yours   :D

I know he has made mistakes with over rotation at the start of the season and does sometimes during matches, but with regards to Gerrard on the right i dont think it exposes Finnan at all, last season Finnan was fantastic and there were plenty of supporters that were saying that it was because of having Gerrard playing in front of him.
I am not saying he should always play on the right but it is an option and allows us to field Alonso and Sissoko at the same time without changing the system.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:53 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
peewee wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:most of the people who whinge about him playing on the right don't realise that even when he's playing there, he spends most of the time in central midfield anyway.

i really cant beleive you have written this without thinking it through.

ok so when gerrard strays into the centre, what happens?

ok i will tell you, finnan is left exposed. if gerrard drifts into the centre then that should tell you something, that is where he is most comfortable, that is where he is at his best for himself and the team

Peewee, do you actually believe that Rafa is tactically that poor that he would allow Gerrard to drift from the right into the centre without someone covering ?

When Gerrard drifts into the centre usually Alonso or Sissoko take up a deeper position covering the right hand side of our defence and Finnan.

When Gerrard played on the right do you remember Finnan constantly being exposed ?

I dont.

yes, finnan was criticised earlier in the season on here in fact, for his poor play at the start of the season, it was then pointed out that he was constantly being exposed by gerrard wandering.

and while we are talking about benitez being tactically poor, i will just come back at you with his poor rotation at the start of the seaon costing us any chance of the title this season, just as it did last season. rafa does make mistakes.  hamman champions league, 451, etc

i could go on but its all opinions mate, i have mine and you have yours   :D

I know he has made mistakes with over rotation at the start of the season and does sometimes during matches, but with regards to Gerrard on the right i dont think it exposes Finnan at all, last season Finnan was fantastic and there were plenty of supporters that were saying that it was because of having Gerrard playing in front of him.
I am not saying he should always play on the right but it is an option and allows us to field Alonso and Sissoko at the same time without changing the system.

i know what you are saying mate, and yes we have won the FA cup last season with this system, but in my opinion to say this system works is not quite right when we havent been anywhere near winning the league using it for this season and last season, thats the benchmark for me. (i know there are other factors in this equation as well mate).

in my opinion the measure of something working will be when it works consistently and we win the league
112-1077774096

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:33 am

82 points we got last season Peewee after a poor start, if it wasnt for Chelsea totally dominating the rest of the league we would of been close.

I have read your posts with interest and agree with you about the rotation costing us at the start of the season, but i really think whether we play Gerrard on the right or in the centre (provided he is in good form) it makes no difference.

I think Rafa over estimated the quality of our squad players at the start of the season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion