Will we be in the cl next season?, - The people who are for and against

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:38 pm

I am all for it  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:06 am

By the way, why would the whole of Spain be against us being in the CL? Were'nt they supporting us to win the cup since all Spanish teams were out of the tournament?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:40 pm

Manchester United stars Alan Smith and Wes Brown have joined David Beckham in insisting the Reds must be allowed to defend their Champions League title next season.
With UEFA still to make a formal ruling on whether or not Liverpool will be entered into the competition next season, the two Manchester United players have spoken out in support of their bitter rivals.

Last week, Beckham told reporters in the United States: "They way they've played, they've won the Champions League so of course they should be in it next year."

And today, Smith and Brown echoed those views.

"I think Liverpool should be able to play in the Champions League next season," England striker Smith told a news conference in Malta on Saturday with Brown adding: "As winners of the Champions League, Liverpool should have the chance to defend the trophy."

UEFA is expected to make a decision on the issue when its executive committee convenes in Manchester on June 17, although it has hinted it might announce a decision before then.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:18 pm

Its hard to read all the conflicting stories emanating from the press, Uefa etc.

The simple fact is that we will be allowed to compete in the CL next season. We will be seeded first and wont have to qualify because the qualifying rounds conflict with uefas super cup and that is a money spinner for them.

The main reasons for us being in the CL is the pure amount of money that we recoup for the major tv companies. I was speaking to a Uefa official in Frankfurt last friday, (thats sounds as though im someone special) but no i was going to work and wa ssat next to this guy. He was so knowledgable for an official. Anyhow, he was saying that the chunk that we got from this years CL dwarfed what porto got last year. He was of the opinion that everton should be dropped by our fa. He understood the reasons why 85 & 87? But he was adament that Liverpool was the only option because of the money and incidentaly our fans because some uefa officials were privately cacking themselves over liverpool milan final in Turkey.
They were overjoyed at how we made the showpiece so special. He said that most of the technical committee will vote in favour of Liverpool.

SO WE'LL BE IN NO WORRIES.

Incidentally he said that Houllier had also become unapproachable ever since he got the LIverpool job.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:19 pm

Could you imagine everton getting inter in the qualifiers and not being able to travel due to the game being played behind closed doors.:D
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:44 pm

I've always said we'd get in.... but what you posted above sounds promising... :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:57 pm

I cannot believe that we will not get in but I do think that we will have to play the qualification rounds, meaning a mid-July start to our season but that in itself would not necessarily be a bad thing.
The buzz still around from Istambul needs to be mainained throughout the next season and the players will have to realise that the new season will bring the added problem that all teams will want to beat the Euro Champs.
Raffa has succeeded more than I ever deamt about and has shown that he can learn and adapt more than any other manager around today. He's made plenty of mistakes (not least in the final itself) but he has the awareness to realise early on and correct the situation. We will have a bigger squad next season,one way or the other, and the more games we get the better it will be. I cannot imagine a repeat of last seasons injury list so if we are up and running when the Premiership starts then so much the better. Raffa has all the amunition to start a seige mentality amongst the players and that would not be a bad thing, we will need it. Can you imagine what it will be like next season at Chelski ? and the mancs ?
He got the ball moving quicker than I expected he's got to keep it rolling now.

Viva Bene !!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Good to see you back JohnBull.
jonnymac1979

Postby A.B. » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:03 pm

I don't like the sound of us playing in the first stage of qualifiers, because it will f#ck up our entire fixture schedule.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:39 pm

I reckon they will let us back in but we'll have to start at the very start....playing Icelandic teams and what not in the first round qualifiers.

In some ways it will be great for us fans as the season will begin 3 weeks early, and Rafa will be able to give his new signings an early competitive run, but although we'll have at least 4 games against extremely weak opposition, Rafa won't be able to do a Carling Cup and send out a team of youngsters as there simply would be too much riding on the matches. Instead we'll probably see Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Carragher et al featuring in at least a few of those matches.

It'll make for an interesting season and in that scenario, we would have an extra 6 matches over Chelsea and Arsenal, and possibly as much as five extra games than last season, given the super cup and the Club Championship.

We'll definitely need a bigger squad but thats success for you! :cool:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:19 am

An early start in the CL thru the qualifyers does have the bonus of adding to our match fitness for the start of the Premiership .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:31 am

This is also a bit complicated but Rafa had plans to bring the players to a Swiss training camp, to make them fitter, here it is explained :down:  :D
The training at Switzerland is at altitude in a prime location for medical and physio requirements. This is to increase the bloods ability to soak up more oxygen and therefore give the players an advantage in fitness.) and welding the team together with any new signings then its a remote possibility. There is also the impact of playing in ANY competative game and the stress it causes to the players.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:17 am

woof woof ! wrote:An early start in the CL thru the qualifyers does have the bonus of adding to our match fitness for the start of the Premiership .

:)

I agree woof woof that an early start to the European Cup defence could help us get some important match sharpness before launching our assault on the Premiership. For me, the problem is going to come in December when the fixture list is already traditionally overcrowded. Games come thick and fast around this time as it is, but lets not forget, we have to travel to Japan during this time aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby HistoryGirl » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:11 pm

we should be entered in the CL next season, becuase we won it fair and square on the 25th May and have therefore earned the right to defend the trophy.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Justice for the 96

Blog
HistoryGirl
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion