Gerrard and selction - Proving some people right

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redmikey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:00 pm

all this is joke as the day anyone second guesses what rafa will do tacticaly will be the day i plat my :censored: hair!!!

we all know if momo is fit for the barca game he will play 'which means rafa will play SG on the right because he has more freedom to cause havok from there.

the last couple of weeks SG has basicaly said to rafa this is what i can do here, but it is great that rafa has this problem to deal with
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:33 pm

heh ! just logged on ... dont really feel like writing alot but.... what you said shows how much you really know... dont care if everyone in this forum is impressed with your little "if u play deep ur like wayne rooney and if u play in the box ur like van nistelrooy" cr@p ! playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 dont really show how attacking or defensive ur game will be... the way the players come about in the game does ! u think we'll leave sissoko and Garcia in the bench in a game against barcelona...heh.... i find that rather funny !
Garcia is our biggest performer in games like this one, and sissoko is absolutely vital in stopping their midfield play.... take both out and u end up with a team playing long balls and possibly one that will end up conceding 3 or more goals...
i must say... the kuyt alone upfront point u brought up might to some extent be valid.... however... i still think that the first tie is one we are not expected to win... pressure upfront can be provided with kuyt playing as a sole striker... play gerrard on the right hand side and bellamy along with kuyt ... but i think starting garcia and pennant would do us better since the gerrard garcia understanding could provide us with good scoring opportunities .
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 83-1165214211 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:42 pm

aCe' wrote:heh ! just logged on ... dont really feel like writing alot but.... what you said shows how much you really know... dont care if everyone in this forum is impressed with your little "if u play deep ur like wayne rooney and if u play in the box ur like van nistelrooy" cr@p ! playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 dont really show how attacking or defensive ur game will be... the way the players come about in the game does ! u think we'll leave sissoko and Garcia in the bench in a game against barcelona...heh.... i find that rather funny !
Garcia is our biggest performer in games like this one, and sissoko is absolutely vital in stopping their midfield play.... take both out and u end up with a team playing long balls and possibly one that will end up conceding 3 or more goals...
i must say... the kuyt alone upfront point u brought up might to some extent be valid.... however... i still think that the first tie is one we are not expected to win... pressure upfront can be provided with kuyt playing as a sole striker... play gerrard on the right hand side and bellamy along with kuyt ... but i think starting garcia and pennant would do us better since the gerrard garcia understanding could provide us with good scoring opportunities .

Firstly, I'm not particularly good with the english language in terms of spelling, grammar and punctuality. But you're posts are an eye-sore. Get it sorted.

Secondly you clearly missed.

Thirdly you find what funny? Playing our best team? Yes hilairious, I can't stop laughing. Sissoko may play depending on Pennant's form, i'd be extremely suprised if Luis Garcia played. Sissoko breaks other teams passing up but stiffles creativety and the ability to attack in numbers.

fourth, you say Luis Garcia is our "biggest" performer in games like this? What kind of statement is that please? I'm sorry, but in away games against Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal in the past i've seen next to nothing that convinces me he's capable of playing against these sides away from home.

Infact the only performace i can remember of note in a big game away was against Leverkusen who were hardly world beaters.
83-1165214211

Postby aCe' » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:58 pm

STR_18+5 wrote:
aCe' wrote:heh ! just logged on ... dont really feel like writing alot but.... what you said shows how much you really know... dont care if everyone in this forum is impressed with your little "if u play deep ur like wayne rooney and if u play in the box ur like van nistelrooy" cr@p ! playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 dont really show how attacking or defensive ur game will be... the way the players come about in the game does ! u think we'll leave sissoko and Garcia in the bench in a game against barcelona...heh.... i find that rather funny !

Firstly, I'm not particularly good with the english language in terms of spelling, grammar and punctuality. But you're posts are an eye-sore. Get it sorted.

Secondly you clearly missed.

Thirdly you find what funny? Playing our best team? Yes hilairious, I can't stop laughing. Sissoko may play depending on Pennant's form, i'd be extremely suprised if Luis Garcia played. Sissoko breaks other teams passing up but stiffles creativety and the ability to attack in numbers.

fourth, you say Luis Garcia is our "biggest" performer in games like this? What kind of statement is that please? I'm sorry, but in away games against Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal in the past i've seen next to nothing that convinces me he's capable of playing against these sides away from home.

Infact the only performace i can remember of note in a big game away was against Leverkusen who were hardly world beaters.

oh man i give up !
aaaaand...  they'r an eye sore and i know that... just that me and computers dont particularly get along !
Nothing personal STR... both fans at the end of the day and not like Rafa is playing ur shiittyy lineup anyways ..hehe ! guess hes not playing mine either but.... heh !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 am

Whether or not the recent good run is down to Gerrard playing centrally is something of a moot point in my view. I've long advocated him playing on the right, not because I think it gives the team better balance (though when Sissoko is fit it clearly does) but simply because I think he is a more dangerous player there. In my view it is in the final third where Gerrard does his World Class work these days and the whole thinking as to where he should play should feature around the starting spot from which it is easier to get him on the ball in this area. In my view that is on the right side of midfield with license to drift inside.
That he is playing better now is heartening and beyond dispute but whether that is due to the shift in starting position is debateable. He did after all, as many have pointed out play brilliantly all last season while being on the right.
The one thing of course which cannot be disputed and which was predicted by many is that the upturn in form of the team as a whole has coincided with the managers decision to go for a much more settled team selection plan. Those of us who bemoaned the early season madness will look at the gap now between ourselves and a Manchester United and conclude that we could be a deal closer had we not handicapped ourselves massively early on in the campaign.
Maybe next season we will hit the ground running and give ourselves a chance at the title because the feeling persists that as a first team, ours is not hugely inferior to those who look down on us from the top two places.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:35 am

bigmick wrote:The one thing of course which cannot be disputed and which was predicted by many is that the upturn in form of the team as a whole has coincided with the managers decision to go for a much more settled team selection plan. Those of us who bemoaned the early season madness will look at the gap now between ourselves and a Manchester United and conclude that we could be a deal closer had we not handicapped ourselves massively early on in the campaign.
Maybe next season we will hit the ground running and give ourselves a chance at the title because the feeling persists that as a first team, ours is not hugely inferior to those who look down on us from the top two places.

here here, but i fear we will do the same again next season, we did it this season even after failing with it last season.

i just hope rafa has finally got the message on this front
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:16 pm

peewee wrote:lando, your comment is exactly the point i am talking about, why move our best player from his best position to suit the oposition, surely by doing that we are weakening ourselves.

let them worry about gerrard instead of doing them a favour and moving him where he is less effective

That's it though - he leaves the other central midfielder exposed when he plays centrally. He lacks the discipline to stay put and cover.

OK against Charlton, Fulham and Wigan, but against Barca? We'll get our a*seholes ripped open.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:54 pm

this whole debate is nonsense. you might as well say "is it any coincidence that since bellamy finished his court case we've scored 11 goals and won 3 games in a row?".

at the end of the day it doesn't matter where gerrard plays in the team. that's how good he is. most of the people who whinge about him playing on the right don't realise that even when he's playing there, he spends most of the time in central midfield anyway.

as mentioned previous, the main reason we've looked really good in the last three games is due to having pace upfront and playing a regular strike partnership.

gerrard has been playing very well since he moved to the middle, but i think that has as much to do with his own confidence and desire to play when there as it does with the fact that he is more use to the team there.

i expect rotation as usual when momo's back with gerrard spending time on the right as-well-as in the centre.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:50 pm

It isn't down to Gerrard playing in the center alone to why we're winning games. There's a lot of factors.

For instance Bellamy has been playing better. Carragher has regained his old form and as has Alonso.

A lot of the players that played at the World Cup have recovered from their ''hang-over''.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby monkey 20 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:32 pm

its the combination of all these things and all these players coming into form. that is why we are winning. we also had an extremely tough fixture list to start with. we'll be reaping the rewards of playing all the big clubs at home at the end of the saeson. and over this holiday period we will capitalise against the 'easier' oppoaition and we'll definitely be up there competing 4 the title come march even
monkey 20

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:29 am

stmichael wrote:most of the people who whinge about him playing on the right don't realise that even when he's playing there, he spends most of the time in central midfield anyway.

i really cant beleive you have written this without thinking it through.

ok so when gerrard strays into the centre, what happens?

ok i will tell you, finnan is left exposed. if gerrard drifts into the centre then that should tell you something, that is where he is most comfortable, that is where he is at his best for himself and the team
112-1077774096

Postby Espionage » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 am

stmichael wrote:At the end of the day it doesn't matter where gerrard plays in the team. that's how good he is. most of the people who whinge about him playing on the right don't realise that even when he's playing there, he spends most of the time in central midfield anyway.

Amen, I think that there are large misconceptions about the impact that Gerrard can or cannot have in any given position.  I still think that if he had not missed either of those 2 chances agianst Chelsea at the bridge (you remember them, slips inside Boularouz and put it against the bar twice) Gerrard on the left would be labled as a huge success!

In an ideal world we could have another player like Gerrard that can swap from right midfield to central midfield, and I think that this is where Zenden was sopossed to come in: someone who can play anywhere in midfield who can swap positions with Gerrard depending on whats needed.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 am

peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:most of the people who whinge about him playing on the right don't realise that even when he's playing there, he spends most of the time in central midfield anyway.

ok i will tell you, finnan is left exposed. if gerrard drifts into the centre then that should tell you something, that is where he is most comfortable, that is where he is at his best for himself and the team

Peewee, do you actually believe that Rafa is tactically that poor that he would allow Gerrard to drift from the right into the centre without someone covering ?

When Gerrard drifts into the centre usually Alonso or Sissoko take up a deeper position covering the right hand side of our defence and Finnan.

When Gerrard played on the right do you remember Finnan constantly being exposed ?

I dont.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:40 am

the gerrard alonso partnership has looked great recently but against who??
when we play against a team like barce we are going to need momo in there breaking up there play
otherwise it could be like the first half against milan
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:40 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
peewee wrote:

Peewee, do you actually believe that Rafa is tactically that poor that he would allow Gerrard to drift from the right into the centre without someone covering ?

When Gerrard drifts into the centre usually Alonso or Sissoko take up a deeper position covering the right hand side of our defence and Finnan.

When Gerrard played on the right do you remember Finnan constantly being exposed ?

I dont.

yes, finnan was criticised earlier in the season on here in fact, for his poor play at the start of the season, it was then pointed out that he was constantly being exposed by gerrard wandering.

and while we are talking about benitez being tactically poor, i will just come back at you with his poor rotation at the start of the seaon costing us any chance of the title this season, just as it did last season. rafa does make mistakes.  hamman champions league, 451, etc

i could go on but its all opinions mate, i have mine and you have yours   :D
112-1077774096

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion