The foreigner debate - One english player starts v anderlecht

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tel » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:22 am

bigmick wrote:I'm going to make my final comment on this subject for a while here and now. I'm not talking about scouring the Liverpool and District Senior League, rejecting anybody with Irish parentage. I'm not talking about no longer signing players from overseas and the European Leagues. I'm not talking about signing British players, white players, black players or players for whom the English language is the first.
What I am talking about is looking within the British leagues (professional) first when we look to sign a player. If there isn't one available there at the right price, then go and buy somebody abroad.
Football follows fashion as sure as tailoring trousers does. The current fashion is for exotic sounding foreign players but the times are changing. At the Arsenal AGM the other day Wenger was grilled by fans as to why they no longer ever bought British based players, and to be fair he has been burned a couple of times when he has. The fans asked, quite rightly, where were Arsenal when Tottenham were buying Defoe, Robinson and Carrick for a combined total of 12.5 million quid.
I tell you this, there are no Joaquins in the Prem waiting to be discovered. Similarly, I think it's unlikely we'll find a Dirk Kujit lurking in Bolton reserves. Tell you what though, if we really looked I reckon we might find a Josemi or two. As for your Cheyrous and the like, go watch Stu's team. You'll find somebody who will contribute more for the club oplaying for Global Heat.

That's a fair enough comment and not too many could argue with you. I'm not so convinced by the likes of Carrick, but when players like Defoe are available, we should be ready.

But along with Wenger we've also been burnt buying players from smaller English clubs. Collymore, James, Clough, Burrows, Dicks, Stewart, Babb, and every player bought by Graham Souness,

If there's one encouraging thing, rafa is signing up 16 year olds this year. Thats what good coaches do that have a 5 year contract.
tel

Postby darwisigila » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:58 am

[quote] Posted: Oct. 20 2005,11:27 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we have as many English players in the  regular first XI as we did  during the 1986 season and we end up with the same result as in 1986  i wont be complaining   

couldn't agree more
darwisigila

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion