Angry clubs to fight uefa - Watch the price treble of english player

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:40 am

Great news if this all comes off :cool: , it will stop chelsea in there tracks, and we do need some home grown talent in our team, they know what it means to play for LFC and wear that jersey, hopefully we will have another Owen or Gerrard in our ranks.
But the price of english players already over rated and over payed is bound to treble. :glare:

Angry clubs to fight UEFA plan
By Mihir Bose  (Filed: 27/01/2005)

A major row is about to break out between the Premier League and UEFA over plans by UEFA to have more home-grown players in club sides.

At next week's meeting at Nyon in Switzerland, the UEFA executive will approve a revolutionary plan which seeks to limit the free-for-all that has ensued since the Bosman ruling, with club sides now stuffed with overseas players.

The plan will then go to the UEFA Congress at Tallinn in April for final ratification.

From the start of the 2007 season, it is proposed that any club qualifying for a European competition must have no more than 25 players in their first-team squad. Four of those players, however, must be home-grown, two of them having been trained between the ages of 15 and 21 by the club's own youth training programme, while two others could be developed by other clubs, provided these clubs are part of the same national association as the buying club. In other words, Chelsea would have to field two players from their own academy and two others nurtured by English clubs.

In the 2008 season, the number of home-grown players will increase to six - three and three - and in 2009 reach the maximum of eight - four and four.

UEFA say this is a very reasonable proposal, as even at eight players, the rule would still cover less than a third of the squad. They also insist that the players need not be qualified to play for their national association. So the eight Chelsea "home-grown" players could be qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland or Italy. UEFA's legal advice is that by doing this they do not violate the Bosman ruling.

The proposal has met with fierce opposition from the Premier League, who at their last meeting voted 16-4 against the plan. The four clubs said to be in favour were Charlton, Aston Villa, Norwich and West Bromwich Albion.

Geoff Thompson, the Football Association chairman who is also on the UEFA executive, has been made aware of the Premier League's view. He said: "I shall put the position of the Premier League to the meeting. We need to look at all the considerations and not adopt a policy which could be legally challenged. I could very well vote against it."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:50 am

I am in favor of this because I think that WE need to start producing some serious home grown talent. Stevie, Jamie and Michael were the last ones to do anything worthwhile. But I must warn you, this will not stop Chelsea at all. They will have the money to scout and secure the services of the best homegrown talent throughout England. Besides, they only have about twenty three worthwhile players so all that they have to do is register a couple of kids andthat will be that. It's not going to change anything. If only...
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:52 am

True but how many players do they have in there squad?
And Jose will want to buy all the best from abroad.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:58 am

Hahaha. It would be interesting to see how big clubs will manipulate this. Training the best players will be a cr*p shoot, and the clubs are likely to be more evenly matched so that money doesn't rule everything.

These sorts of manipulations if done correctly could really improve the quality of competition in the sport as the NBA and MLB (Major league baseball) have been able to make changes that have improved the experience for fans and players alike.

Will this ever happen though? Who knows.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:58 am

I think that the first team squad is twenty three. He can still buy from abroad and just pad out the squad with a couple of acadamy boys.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:01 am

Its a pity Anthony Gerrard stevies cousin is a bluenose :angry: hes a really good player, but hes swore he would never play for the reds :glare:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:03 am

I hear that there is a third Wright-Phillips brother, I say that we go after him.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:04 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Chelsea would have to field two players from their own academy and two others nurtured by English clubs.

In the 2008 season, the number of home-grown players will increase to six - three and three - and in 2009 reach the maximum of eight - four and four.

If I'm reading it correctly it doesn't atually say that a club has to field it's home grown players ,they just have to be part of the squad.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:08 am

that's what I mean. They might say that they have to play 5 games a season in the league but what's that. It will make no difference to the league, but I think it will have a good impact on the national team.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 am

woof woof ! wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Chelsea would have to field two players from their own academy and two others nurtured by English clubs.

If I'm reading it correctly it doesn't atually say that a club has to field it's home grown players ,they just have to be part of the squad.

Yer but in 2009  Lampard and Terry wont be playing for chelsea anymore will they? Therefore if Jose is still incharge, can you see him wanting 8 english in his team or youth academy I cant.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:19 am

Can you see Jose still being there? If he makes one slip up, he's gone. His job is only safe as long as he keeps winning.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:39 am

SWP number 2 is Bradley hes going to be a cracker, only seen him a few times he is supposed to be better than shawn.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:44 am

oh funny .
i posted a thread like this a few weeks ago and was told by all members that it would never happen and that it would end up in court.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:50 am

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=7766

lakes10
LFC Elite Member

Group: LFC Premium Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uefa is to unveil proposals that will limit the number of foreigners in domestic football.
The controversial measures would see clubs limited to 25 players - of which four would have had to come up through their own ranks.

A further four players must be brought through inside the same national football association.

Europe's governing body proposes to gradually bring in the changes over the next four years.

Under the proposals Arsenal's 17-year-old Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas would not be regarded as having been trained by the Gunners because he has not been at the club for three full years.

European football's governing body has been considering the move for some months, but has now put together formal plans.

Under these proposals, set to be agreed by Uefa's executive committee in Nyon, there would be a transitional period starting next season building up to the full implementation of the rule in four years' time.

The final decision will have to be ratified by Uefa's Congress in Tallinn in April next year.

Lars-Christer Olsson, chief executive of Uefa, explained in November: "It is not so much the top clubs but it is those in the middle range who are are importing cheap players instead of developing them.

"In Austria for example, even in the semi-professional leagues they are importing players from Slovakia, Hungary and Nigeria.

"If we bring in a minimum quota of players trained in that country - but of any nationality - then we have to have a limit on the squad size too. It makes no sense if you have 40 players in a squad."

But many clubs have already expressed their opposition to both a limitation on squad size and the proposed regulations governing players.

Uefa's club competitions committee has already urged European football's leaders to be cautious.

Uefa believes the number of foreigners is having a detrimental impact on both the development of the game and on national teams.

Due to of European law they cannot bring in any regulations based strictly on nationality.

Of the 32 sides in last season's Champions League, five clubs would have not had enough home-grown players: Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and if you read the link you will see that woof woof !
LFC Elite Member
say it will never happen? ????
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:00 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Its a pity Anthony Gerrard stevies cousin is a bluenose :angry: hes a really good player, but hes swore he would never play for the reds :glare:

Am I right in believing that he has declared to play for Ireland as well CGGY?
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion