If we win the prem with no english players will it - For english born fans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:02 pm

I know our overseas fans do like to see our home grown players in the team but i dont think it matters as much to them if we have no English born players in our team.

I can not help but think there would be something missing if we won the prem and we had no English born players in that team.

after today if Rafa gets his way we could see the end of English players at our club after our two leave in a few years (or sold off by Hicks).

Will our team only be Liverpool by Name ?
All our history has been about great British players and local Liverpool players.

Our youth set up will feel the full impact of Rafa and more and more young Spanish players will come in to meet the home grown slots in the CL.

Has today been a bad day for the History of LIverpool fc ?
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 pm

This is happening everywere

Its been 10 years yesterday exatley to the day that Aston Villa were the last club to field a full 11 of Englishmen, they made 3 subs that day and they were all English and they were managed by John Gregory

Them days are over for everyone
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Dundalk wrote:This is happening everywere

Its been 10 years yesterday exatley to the day that Aston Villa were the last club to field a full 11 of Englishmen, they made 3 subs that day and they were all English and they were managed by John Gregory

Them days are over for everyone

I think its very Sad, the Gooners had the same thing a few years ago, it did not go down well with the fans and since then their youth set up has worked very hard to to get young English kids in the youth set up, but we are i a day and age that young English kids are better off going to Southend united than going to a big team.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:25 pm

I have made my thoughts well known on this forum and its one of the few areas I disagree with rafa.

We need more english, scots, paddies and even welsh in our squad - like we always used to.

I dont accept they arent good enough, we´re simply not willing to go out there and get them in the same way we are, for some unknown reason, spanish and bulgarians.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Reg wrote:I have made my thoughts well known on this forum and its one of the few areas I disagree with rafa.

We need more english,  paddies and even welsh in our squad - like we always used to.

I dont accept they arent good enough, we´re simply not willing to go out there and get them in the same way we are, for some unknown reason, spanish and bulgarians.

3 times this year our scots gave Southend United dates that they would be there, 3 times they did not turn up, there are a few great young kids in their set up that could trun into great players if time and money was spent on them, it looks like they will now go to Blackpool.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:36 pm

If the team is successful, Im not too bothered how many British players we have.

Will agree with Reg, I think you could assemble a squad of British and Irish player s and they could win the league.

The problem is, any player with Prem experienece is normally more expensive than your foreign player.
A "premium" is added I think.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Effes wrote:If the team is successful, Im not too bothered how many British players we have.

Will agree with Reg, I think you could assemble a squad of British and Irish player s and they could win the league.

The problem is, any player with Prem experienece is normally more expensive than your foreign player.

well only if you have none coming in from the youth set up.

I an Rush and King Kenny said the other week that 2 years ago we had a youth team that could beat most Prem side, what happend, some were let go, some were sold and some are still sitting there doing nothing.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:43 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Effes wrote:If the team is successful, Im not too bothered how many British players we have.

well only if you have none coming in from the youth set up.

I an Rush and King Kenny said the other week that 2 years ago we had a youth team that could beat most Prem side, what happend, some were let go, some were sold and some are still sitting there doing nothing.

I think having players from the youth is a definite bonus; you have their loyalty and if they haven't got bags of ability you
can play them sparingly withouth them spitting the dummy out.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

so will it still feel the same being Prem champs with no English or British players in the team......I will say yes....(and a bit of a No), i will feel a bit let down just as some of the Chelsea fans did when they won due to so much money being put into the club, you go mad when you win and are over the moon but as soon as someone say the point you dont like to hear you go very quiet.
Last edited by lakes10 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Talanted players are not as plentiful as they once were so the ones that are about are snapped up quick by top clubs forcing the rest of the teams to look abroad. By the way when I say they are not as plentiful as once were I am not saying there is less talent at home but rather the systems in place right now make it more difficult for any youngster to come up who are not immediatley very talanted. Im sure there is another Stevie, Carra or even Fowler out there somewhere.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:35 pm

bavlondon wrote:Talanted players are not as plentiful as they once were so the ones that are about are snapped up quick by top clubs forcing the rest of the teams to look abroad. By the way when I say they are not as plentiful as once were I am not saying there is less talent at home but rather the systems in place right now make it more difficult for any youngster to come up who are not immediatley very talanted. Im sure there is another Stevie, Carra or even Fowler out there somewhere.

they are out there mate but what has happend over the last few years they are left in the youth team as we buy none English players instead of giving them a chance to show what they can do, we they push them off to some low club, once they have been booted out of a top club they are never asked to go back again.

Will you feel a bit sad if we win it with no English players?
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Of course but there is nothing we can do about that. The infrastructure of the system is all :censored: up and even if it were sorted it would take a good few years before any impact filtered down. Hopefully next season Darby or someone can maybe break into the 1st team. At least make the subs bench ect....

For those though who think Rafa is out to make it so there are no English players in our team i do not think that is true. He has brought quite a few English players hasnt he? Hobbs, Anderson, Carson.... Rafa want's English players but only for the right price. We are competing with the other top 3 clubs in England and have the least financial clout so Rafa has to be able to balance things out. But I would love to have some top English talent in our team no doubt about it.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Considering when we started we had no English players its not as if we're going against our history :D

From wiki:

"The Everton members decided to leave Anfield and moved to Goodison Park. With just three players remaining, John Houlding was left with an empty ground and no team to play in it. He therefore decided to form his own football club and on 15 March 1892, Liverpool Football Club was born. John McKenna was appointed director, and went to Scotland, where he signed thirteen professionals for the new club. The team was labelled "the team of the Macs" because eight of the thirteen Scottish signings had a "Mc" prefix. They played their first game against Rotherham Town, winning 7-1 with Malcolm McVean scoring their first ever goal, which was also the first occasion an English domestic team had fielded a side consisting entirely of foreign players."

-----

It would be great to win trophies with local players but those days are gone. With the introduction of the 6+5 rule we should see a return to more British-based footballers.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Every single member of the U16 squad has earned a scholarship to train at the academy full time at the academy next season and they are all English and mostly Scouse. We have only bought one Spaniard that has really played much at the academy.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

It'd be nice if we had local players, but for me it's only an issue to discuss if we aren't winning the league. If we win it and the team is full of Colombians, who gives a feck? We need to win the title by whatever means necessary.

It's a bit like style of play. Many people talk about this (including me) but if we are the most boring team in the World but win the title, I don't care. The issue is when it appears our "boringness" is actually preventing us from winning enough games to win us the title. Equally, I suppose it's concieveable that a lack of British players may prevent you from winning the title. s to the original question though, if we do actually win it, it makes absolutely no difference as far as I'm concerned where the players are from.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion