If we win the prem with no english players will it - For english born fans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:06 pm

bigmick wrote:It'd be nice if we had local players, but for me it's only an issue to discuss if we aren't winning the league. If we win it and the team is full of Colombians, who gives a feck? We need to win the title by whatever means necessary.

It's a bit like style of play. Many people talk about this (including me) but if we are the most boring team in the World but win the title, I don't care. The issue is when it appears our "boringness" is actually preventing us from winning enough games to win us the title. Equally, I suppose it's concieveable that a lack of British players may prevent you from winning the title. s to the original question though, if we do actually win it, it makes absolutely no difference as far as I'm concerned where the players are from.

I demand a drug test
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:09 pm

:D Don't know why I dreamed up Colombians DD, I'm still half asleep. Don't think we've ever even had a Colombian play for us have we :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 pm

No but sometimes I think Babel is using some of there home grown produce the way he has been playing lately   :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 pm

I disagree with most I think. I think its VERY important to have British players if not scousers in the team. If the team is entirely composed of foreign players I think the club will gradually lose its identity and attachment to the city. The next thing will be moving clubs to weathier cities where there may be incentives such as better stadia etc etc.

We need to keep the ties with the city whether or not it costs us a title along the way.

I am not a scouser BTW
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:31 pm

s@int wrote:I am not a scouser BTW

Yes we know, support your loacal team FFS  :angry:  :D .

On the question of British players, I do think that generally it's better to have more locals than less. I think it even makes it easier to have success. I'm just saying that if we actually won the title, I wouldn't be having a whine if it was all foregn players.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Dont worry lads soon enough we will be able to clone people so we will just clone Stevie, Carra, Rushie, Kenny and a few others and we will be sorted for the next 20 years. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 pm

We really need to start feeding the first team squad from the academy, not only for the sake of the clubs identity but also to save money in the transfer market. Some of squad players are pretty poor and I’m pretty sure we could produce better players from our academy.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:01 pm

lakes10 wrote:I know our overseas fans do like to see our home grown players in the team but i dont think it matters as much to them if we have no English born players in our team.

I can not help but think there would be something missing if we won the prem and we had no English born players in that team.

after today if Rafa gets his way we could see the end of English players at our club after our two leave in a few years (or sold off by Hicks).

Will our team only be Liverpool by Name ?
All our history has been about great British players and local Liverpool players.

Our youth set up will feel the full impact of Rafa and more and more young Spanish players will come in to meet the home grown slots in the CL.

Has today been a bad day for the History of LIverpool fc ?

Utter nonsense, having a dig at Rafa for something he hasn't even done.

All the top clubs buy foreign these days its just the way its gone, it's hardly like Rafa has a strict no homegrown players policy, did he not bring Crouch, Pennant and want to bring Barry in in the summer, all British.

What about when he brought Fowler back to Anfield hardly the actions of a man who wants an all foreign side.

The fact of the matter is British kids aren't playing as much football anymore, too busy playing the xbox and ps3 and stuffing thier faces with sh!t food.
RedRoots

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:02 pm

RedRoots wrote:The fact of the matter is British kids aren't playing as much football anymore, too busy playing the xbox and ps3 and stuffing thier faces with sh!t food.

Come on mate there are kids like that everywhere not just over here.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 pm

bavlondon wrote:
RedRoots wrote:The fact of the matter is British kids aren't playing as much football anymore, too busy playing the xbox and ps3 and stuffing thier faces with sh!t food.

Come on mate there are kids like that everywhere not just over here.

I'm Irish its the same here man, the thing is i think mainland europeans live healthier lifestyles. Also there's a bigger market if you buy foreign, theres not much top British talent up for grabs these days.
RedRoots

Postby KennyisGod....still » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Think back to the 80's......didn't we win the FA Cup with a team devoid of Englishmen except Steve McMahon, and wasn't he on the bench?
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:30 pm

Get use to it!

La Liga was the strongest league four years ago precisely cause they had a lot of foreign players. From all around the world and cheap.

Now the premier league is the best for the same reason.

You choose, the best league - majority of foreign players

insignificant league - majority of British players
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:37 pm

But then you have to ask how are Spain European Champions. Same thing for when France were world and Euro champs. Sure most of the good players played abroad but there were lots of them still coming up. Look at the Spain squad its filled to the brim with talant. 2 world class keepers!

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:01 pm

I´m not talking about national teams but national leagues.

The strongest league is not the spanish and not the french.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 am

Yeah well that will change somewhat once the new 6 + 5 rule comes in.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion