Anderlecht. - Lets be a scout for a day.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:02 am

It's amazing how often over the years that managers scout players who play against their own team. Having seen Anderlecht play twice now, though it's obvious they are a fairly weak Champions League team I believe they have a couple of good players.
Tiernen (sp) the centre-half looked solid to me. Don't know anything at all about the bloke other than what I saw over two games but he wiould get a game in the Prem I think. He was in deep conversation with Sami at the end so maybe he's Finnish? I also liked their version of Traore in the first game who I think is only a kid, similarly the right-back who's name escapes me who was one of the youngest Champions League players ever apparantly.
The bloke that stood out for me though was the Swedish lad who drifted about around the flanks. For the life of me I can't remember his name (I think senile dementia is slowly but surely setting in) but he seemed pacy, with two good feet and an eye for a run. On a different day we wouldn't have got one of the tight offsides against him and he would've been in. He seemed their best player by a distance and though I'm aware that it's easier to raise your game than it is to maintain a standard, I think this lad would be a good player in the Prem. I'm not necessarily advocating buying any of 'em because I've got no idea who they are or how much they'd cost. They looked decent players to me though.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Robin_kopite7 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:17 am

Yeah - Tihinen is finnish...
Wilhelmsson though is swedish just like me and also from the same corner of our country. He is a good player no doubt, he is quick, has good technique, fairly intellegent on the pitch and he can do the unexpected. I think Fiorentina tried to sign him during the summer but Anderlecht put a big pricetag on him, over 5 million£ I think.
Robin_kopite7

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:23 am

That's him, Wilhelmsonn. I thought he looked very tidy, and depending on his age wouldn't have expected to get him for a lot less than 5 million. I wouldn't be too nervous about a Swede making the transition to the Premiership either. Someone will take a punt on the lad before long I'm sure. The run where he skinned both Carra and Sami was top-class and if he shows much more of that, he would worry most teams in the Prem.
As an aside, I was very impressed the way he tracked Riise when we tried that rehearsed free-kick. Says a lot about the guys attitude.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Robin_kopite7 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:32 am

Now I remember...he was also linked with Tottenham earlier, like they need another midfielder :D

Namn: Christian Wilhelmsson
Born: 79-12-08 
Height: 177 cm
Weight: 67 kg 
Favourite player: Shevchenko
Idol when he was younger: Roberto Baggio
And I think you´ll like this one...favourite club: LIVERPOOL FC! He has good taste no doubt 

:buttrock YNWA
Robin_kopite7

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:37 am

Wilhelmsson is 25 and has been at Anderlecht a fair while now. TBH I'm surprised he hasn't got a move to a bigger club, as he is always a standout for Anderlecht from what I've seen of him (I saw a lot of the highlights of Anderlecht games last season). He really did play well last night, by far their best player for me.

Would be worth a look as he would cost about half what Simao would.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:41 am

I said a couple is weeks ago about Wilhelmsson and no one responded, I think we could him up cheap and he looks a good player. :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:45 am

Didn't Tiahanen play for West Ham a few years ago when Harry Redknapp was manager?

The 17 year old who played right back in the first game against us looked a real prospect to me. He's definitely a player we should look at.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby andy_g » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:52 am

just to add to the echo, i was thinking the same too. definitley the outstanding player in their team even though he seems to get caught offside a few times too many...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:57 am

Anthony Vanden Borre plays right back for anderlecht - but I'm pretty sure he didn't play in the last game. Not sure why.

He's already got a full Belgian cap and is only 17 - He's got a very good future I think.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:03 pm

didnt notice any anderlecht players but that cb that hyypia was tlking to is that the finnish one ur on about
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby BringBackTiti » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Anthony Vanden Borre and Wilhelmson looked alright as well
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:12 pm

Christian Wilhelmsson is one of the best players from Sweden in my opionion. He is a late blossomer that has been starting to play really well in the last two to three years. He always tries hard and never whines. The problem with him is that he is to fast for his own technique. He plays with his heart and he has always had Liverpool as his favourite team. Give him a few years to better his technique and you have a new Ljungberg.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Gareth G » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:19 pm

Yeah their centre back is actually Hyypia's teammate for Finland. I'd bet that he was talking to him about retiring last night after the match - since Hyypia has hinted about this today it seem's like a logical conversation. :D :D
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:25 pm

JBG wrote:Didn't Tiahanen play for West Ham a few years ago when Harry Redknapp was manager?

The 17 year old who played right back in the first game against us looked a real prospect to me. He's definitely a player we should look at.

yeah he was on loan at west ham a few years back. he was their best player by far last night. he partners hyypia for finland.

incidentally, anderlecht were the worst team i've seen at anfield this season, and that includes sunderland.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:44 pm

I won't mind sign up that chap Wilhelmsson...looked a class act throughout...skill and pace
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion