If we win the prem with no english players will it - For english born fans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby simolonge » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 am

surprise surprise (with apologies to our Cilla) a thread that is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to knock Rafa disguised behind the suggestion that a cheif executive who has proven time and time again that he is inept (AND engineered the sale to the Americans to ensure he had a job for life and his mate Freddie Boswell got an extra few quid) was the only thing stopping Mr Benitez from bringing in poor quality foreign players into the youth set up. Let us not forget the farcical notion that Gerrard and Carragher would be sold immenintly because Parry leaving means that only Rafael calling the shots will see an all out attept to bring about a foreign legion at Liverpool. If there are local lads who are good enough then they will ALWAYS get through. The thing with football is that the best players are clearly visible to the trained eye, and as such will find themselves moved through any outh system if they are the better players in it.
simolonge

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 am

RedRoots wrote:What about when he brought Fowler back to Anfield hardly the actions of a man who wants an all foreign side.

I wonder if that wasn't someone in the board wanting that, maybe Rafa agreed to it, but I can't really see him going to sign Fowler then dumping all over him (latterly) before letting him go. Made no sense to let him go, he would have been a willing bit-part player, a good player to have on the bench and English so would have helped with the CL requirements. I think it would also lift the spirits of Gerrard, Carra and the kids in the youth academy as well as local lads wanting to play for us.

I can see plenty of pluses, few minuses other than fitness concerns. Rafa doesn't seem to have much patience with players. By my reckoning the average survival is around one and a half seasons, although that includes on Rafa signings (not Gerrard, Sami and Carra) and of course those still here will continue to increase that. But considering it could be as many as four and a half, and should probably be at least two if not more, that's not great
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:08 am

The problem is there aren't many good english players , i can count on both hands the amount of english players who are good enough to cut it . I read somewhere that the 6+5 Ruling is not wrong by some lawyers hired by fifa , if this rule is implemented , arsenal and us are going to be in trouble
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 am

we do have a shortage of black players, not being racist, just something I have noticed, not saying they are better or worse, but i think only babel and ngog at the moment.

we do need to keep some local roots in the first team, or try and keep. I am sure there are guys good enough out there
112-1077774096

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:41 am

bigmick wrote:It'd be nice if we had local players, but for me it's only an issue to discuss if we aren't winning the league. If we win it and the team is full of Colombians, who gives a feck? We need to win the title by whatever means necessary.

It's a bit like style of play. Many people talk about this (including me) but if we are the most boring team in the World but win the title, I don't care. The issue is when it appears our "boringness" is actually preventing us from winning enough games to win us the title. Equally, I suppose it's concieveable that a lack of British players may prevent you from winning the title. s to the original question though, if we do actually win it, it makes absolutely no difference as far as I'm concerned where the players are from.

"If we win it and the team is full of Colombians, who gives a feck?"

to me thats selling your soul to the Devil, but i also understad were you are coming from.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:46 am

RedRoots wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
RedRoots wrote:The fact of the matter is British kids aren't playing as much football anymore, too busy playing the xbox and ps3 and stuffing thier faces with sh!t food.

Come on mate there are kids like that everywhere not just over here.

I'm Irish its the same here man, the thing is i think mainland europeans live healthier lifestyles. Also there's a bigger market if you buy foreign, theres not much top British talent up for grabs these days.

Ps3 is sold more in spain that in the UK.

"Our previous report on PlayStation 3 sales in Europe said that MCV UK noted that the number of units sold in Spain was around half that of the record breaking 165,000 sold in the UK. Well, more good news, MeriStation reports that a full week after launch, 100,000 units of the 110,000 PS3 units shipped to Spain has been sold already. "
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 am

Win the premiership first, then start the "well it would be nice if next time we can play more attacking football/have more local players" and all that stuff. Win it first, then we can worry about it.

There is also an argument of course that playing more attacking football would increase our chances of winning it in the first place (I think it would FWIW), and that by retaining an Engliah/British core you have more chance of winning it (more arguable but probably true). Neither of those though were the original question. The original question was would it bother our fans if we won it without any English players. That's what I meant with the Colombians line, if we've actually won it i couldn't really give a feck how we managed to do it, whether we were lucky, whether it's a weak league and all that stuff is completely irrelevent. If we've won it we've won it, and I couldn't give a feck.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am

Toffeehater wrote:The problem is there aren't many good english players , i can count on both hands the amount of english players who are good enough to cut it . I read somewhere that the 6+5 Ruling is not wrong by some lawyers hired by fifa , if this rule is implemented , arsenal and us are going to be in trouble

I dont think thats right, i base that on something that King Kenny said a few weeks ago. he was talking about a young kid from Leeds.
He had been in the youth set up for 2 years and due lack of money in the club they put him up for sale, this kids was ment to be the best thing since slice bread, not one of the top four teams even turned up to look at him, he was sold to MK Dons but before he could get a game was sent on loan to Forest Green , he took a big hit in a small cup game and was out for a year. He could not live on the money buy that time and gave up football and now works in a bank.

As Kenny said that if a big club had come to see this kids when he was at Leeds he was sure that he would have been in the first team now and not working in a bank.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 am

bigmick wrote:Win the premiership first, then start the "well it would be nice if next time we can play more attacking football/have more local players" and all that stuff. Win it first, then we can worry about it.

There is also an argument of course that playing more attacking football would increase our chances of winning it in the first place (I think it would FWIW), and that by retaining an Engliah/British core you have more chance of winning it (more arguable but probably true). Neither of those though were the original question. The original question was would it bother our fans if we won it without any English players. That's what I meant with the Colombians line, if we've actually won it i couldn't really give a feck how we managed to do it, whether we were lucky, whether it's a weak league and all that stuff is completely irrelevent. If we've won it we've won it, and I couldn't give a feck.

I do see what you are saying and in truth i think i feal the same, I would be on top of the worl for weeks even before thinking about the team set up that won it.
But when i did start thinking about it would leave a bad taste.

I think it more so for us older fans that stood in the Kop when we last won it, yes there was non English players in the Team (but even most of them had started to talk with a Scouse Accent)
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:49 am

simolonge wrote:surprise surprise (with apologies to our Cilla) a thread that is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to knock Rafa disguised behind the suggestion that a cheif executive who has proven time and time again that he is inept (AND engineered the sale to the Americans to ensure he had a job for life and his mate Freddie Boswell got an extra few quid) was the only thing stopping Mr Benitez from bringing in poor quality foreign players into the youth set up. Let us not forget the farcical notion that Gerrard and Carragher would be sold immenintly because Parry leaving means that only Rafael calling the shots will see an all out attept to bring about a foreign legion at Liverpool. If there are local lads who are good enough then they will ALWAYS get through. The thing with football is that the best players are clearly visible to the trained eye, and as such will find themselves moved through any outh system if they are the better players in it.

Oh yes how dare anybody be critical of Rafa, how very dare you!  :no  :no
Don't you know that everyone must now agree on this forum, there will be no more digs or criticism of GOD aka Rafa.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that not one member of the all conquering youth team of a few seasons is better than Lucas or Dossena, I just can't believe that,sorry.

This forum is fast going down hill, being ruined by people like you who won't allow freedom of speech, it's a disgrace. :veryangry

Are you guys really so insecure that you can't face a debate about Rafa, if so you're all pathetic!!
heimdall

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 pm

simolonge wrote:surprise surprise (with apologies to our Cilla) a thread that is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to knock Rafa disguised behind the suggestion that a cheif executive who has proven time and time again that he is inept (AND engineered the sale to the Americans to ensure he had a job for life and his mate Freddie Boswell got an extra few quid) was the only thing stopping Mr Benitez from bringing in poor quality foreign players into the youth set up. Let us not forget the farcical notion that Gerrard and Carragher would be sold immenintly because Parry leaving means that only Rafael calling the shots will see an all out attept to bring about a foreign legion at Liverpool. If there are local lads who are good enough then they will ALWAYS get through. The thing with football is that the best players are clearly visible to the trained eye, and as such will find themselves moved through any outh system if they are the better players in it.

Sorry but you only have to look at the way Neil mellor was treated by the club.
A lot of our players still feel sick to what happen to Neil mellor, Ex Liverpool Mangers try not to talk about it but when they do they say if all the truth come out then it would be very bad from the club, well the truth did come out and Neil mellor did a bit for Sky and ITV on how he left the club and how he was let down and how SG and JC tried to stop it from going on.

he was a young star that needed help, it make me wonder what would have happend in Rooney had been out our club or a Gazza, we would have booted them out as soon as the put on a stone and then got hurt.

anyway not going to talk abot that anymore as it :censored: me off and it was a side of the club i wish to block out.

This thread is not a pick on Rafa thread it about how we all feel if we win the prem with no English or British players and how football today has changed with home grown players, yes it has moved on from that but thats how it started
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 pm

lakes10 wrote:

Lakes I know nothing of the story, but in fairness Neil Mellor was a country mile away from being good enough. If I was Rafa, I'd put it on my CV that I managed to get Neil Mellor to score important goals for Liverpool, alongside the bit that says he was the coach of a team which included Djimi Traore and won the Champions League.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:22 pm

bigmick wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

Lakes I know nothing of the story, but in fairness Neil Mellor was a country mile away from being good enough. If I was Rafa, I'd put it on my CV that I managed to get Neil Mellor to score important goals for Liverpool, alongside the bit that says he was the coach of a team which included Djimi Traore and won the Champions League.

Its too much to go into on here and i can not find the links to the video. It more of a case of what sort of player he could have been and not the player he turned out to be, when you think that our best players felt that he could be our best striker in 20 years gives you some idea how bad things turned out for him, anyway the guy a bag of ills now and will never play for a top 4 club again, he spend most of his time on the bench of sick. (but again we could go into why Liverpool is to blame for that but i will not).

moving on lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:18 pm

lakes10 wrote:

A lot of our players still feel sick to what happen to Neil mellor, Ex Liverpool Mangers try not to talk about it but when they do they say if all the truth come out then it would be very bad from the club, well the truth did come out and Neil mellor did a bit for Sky and ITV on how he left the club and how he was let down and how SG and JC tried to stop it from going on.

he was a young star that needed help, it make me wonder what would have happend in Rooney had been out our club or a Gazza, we would have booted them out as soon as the put on a stone and then got hurt.

anyway not going to talk abot that anymore as it :censored: me off and it was a side of the club i wish to block out.

This thread is not a pick on Rafa thread it about how we all feel if we win the prem with no English or British players and how football today has changed with home grown players, yes it has moved on from that but thats how it started

Neil Mellor ?

The answer to ALL our prayers.
simolonge

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Dundalk wrote:This is happening everywere

Its been 10 years yesterday exatley to the day that Aston Villa were the last club to field a full 11 of Englishmen, they made 3 subs that day and they were all English and they were managed by John Gregory

Them days are over for everyone

Wow, that's a great stat mate.
Certainly a thing of the past now though thats for sure.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion