Johnny foreigner - Who our hero?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:45 am

With the recent retirement of Dennis Bergkamp, I started wondering who our foreign was, or who it will be. We have had our fair share of foreign players, as have all teams, but we don't seem to have had the so called star player that other big teams have had. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just sayign that its something.

Manchester United had Eric Cantona, no one can deny that he was alegend for them. Roy Keane was alegend too but I'm not counting Irish players as foreign superstars. eric Cantona was one of the first real big superstars of football coming over here from foreign shores. Then Cheatski had zola, another legend. Arsenal had Dennis Bergkamp.

All three of the named players have been put into the teams folklore, and will always be seen as maybe the greatest players for those teams.

So i was wondering why we never really had a similar player for us. Litmannen should have been that player but was never used. Hamman was a great player for us, outstanding in fact, but hes not the foreign superstar that other teams seem to crave.

So who do we have now? alonso or Garcia are the closest. Do we even need a player like that? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I'm mrohave stevie g as our hero, but why have we never got that massive johnny foreigner that other teams love to have?

Thoughts?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:49 am

i think foreign players never really stood out in our team as much as others as they were always surrounded by players with either equal or better qualities, either british or foreign.

we have had some genuine class from overseas, molby was always a joy to watch, grobbellar in goal was quality. the players have been there but have always been part of a team and not really seen as an individual i suppose
112-1077774096

Postby Sabre » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:55 am

I think it is because for some reason the natural leaders of LFC were english. From Dalglish to Gerrard passing through Ian Rush, you can find many strong personality leaders in LFC. Alonso for instance has the quality to be a leader, but he'll always be faded by the leadership of Gerrard. Any striker that comes, even world class, will have troubles to make the Kopites forget forwards like Aldo, Rush, Owen or Fowler

I guess that didn't happen in other teams and they had to bring the leaders from outside.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:59 am

Sabre wrote:I think it is because for some reason the natural leaders of LFC were english. From Dalglish to Gerrard passing through Ian Rush, you can find many strong personality leaders in LFC. Alonso for instance has the quality to be a leader, but he'll always be faded by the leadership of Gerrard. Any striker that comes, even world class, will have troubles to make the Kopites forget forwards like Aldo, Rush, Owen or Fowler

I guess that didn't happen in other teams and they had to bring the leaders from outside.

i know the point your making sabre but the word you should have used is british rather than english and dalglish is scottish and rush is welsh. the last think we want is taff kicking off with you for claiming rush is english

:laugh:
112-1077774096

Postby Sabre » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:00 am

Yeh, my mistake, I also know that Aldo played for Ireland, but I meant British
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:14 pm

I guess Rafa will be the greatest Johnny Foreigner we'll ever have .

(having said that, welsh wizard has pm'd me that Ronaldhino is keen to come here next season :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:31 pm

Recently - Sami Hyypia

But you can't beat Bruce Grobelaar at his peak
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:10 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:But you can't beat Bruce Grobelaar at his peak

you could if you paid him     :oh:

:D
112-1077774096

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:13 pm

peewee wrote:we have had some genuine class from overseas, molby was always a joy to watch

molby was foreign? i could have sworn he was from birkenhead. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm

dawson99 wrote:With the recent retirement of Dennis Bergkamp, I started wondering who our foreign was, or who it will be. We have had our fair share of foreign players, as have all teams, but we don't seem to have had the so called star player that other big teams have had. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just sayign that its something.

Manchester United had Eric Cantona, no one can deny that he was alegend for them. Roy Keane was alegend too but I'm not counting Irish players as foreign superstars. eric Cantona was one of the first real big superstars of football coming over here from foreign shores. Then Cheatski had zola, another legend. Arsenal had Dennis Bergkamp.

All three of the named players have been put into the teams folklore, and will always be seen as maybe the greatest players for those teams.

So i was wondering why we never really had a similar player for us. Litmannen should have been that player but was never used. Hamman was a great player for us, outstanding in fact, but hes not the foreign superstar that other teams seem to crave.

So who do we have now? alonso or Garcia are the closest. Do we even need a player like that? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I'm mrohave stevie g as our hero, but why have we never got that massive johnny foreigner that other teams love to have?

Thoughts?

Bruce Grobbelaar
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:22 pm

yeah but bruce was never put into the same sort of grade as zola, bergkamp or cantona. Not even Viera will be close to that.

Im kinda glad we havent got someone like that when we have stevie g instead but alonso could be put in that bracket in the future.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:43 pm

dawson99 wrote:yeah but bruce was never put into the same sort of grade as zola, bergkamp or cantona. Not even Viera will be close to that.

Im kinda glad we havent got someone like that when we have stevie g instead but alonso could be put in that bracket in the future.

Yes, but it's hard to judge who would be in the same league, prior to the "SuperStar" developing around about the early 1990's
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:14 am

Yeah keepers and defenders dont get that sort of adulation

I guess Alonso is more then likely to get that title in next couple of seasons,  even while playing in same side as Gerrard
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:03 pm

Xabi Alonso could well be a player we look back at as one of our all time greats, he's still young and seems to be a committed, model professional - not to mention an absolutely top class central midfielder.

Garcia is a good player but will never be in the same bracket as Zola, Bergkamp, Cantona etc.

I agree with Woof though about Rafa, if the club continues in the direction he's taking us, he will surely be the most significant "foreigner" ever to grace Anfield.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:17 pm

Didi Hamann, scored the last goal at Wembley. Scored the first 2 pen's in our last two finals, setting the tone for us to win them both. The guys a Hero. Perhaps not as spectacular as the Zola's or Bergkamps of this world, but definitely got the job done.

While I'd also argue a case for the big Finn, he probably didn't have the natural ability or technique as the others.

Hopefully Xabi Alonso will go on and join that bracket.
Last edited by Alonso14 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion