Liverpool v bolton.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mottman » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:04 pm

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign Shop is now located at 178 Walton Breck Road, opposite the Albert pub. For the Bolton home game to be played on Friday 27th December (kick-off 15:00) the shop will be open from 11.30 until 5 minutes before kick-off. The shop will also be open for around ½ an hour after the game.
Everyone is welcome to call in and talk to members of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign team and meet fellow Reds. Please make the HJC shop your rendezvous point for meeting your friends before and after any Liverpool home game. Everyone will be made very welcome.

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign shop opens its doors to everyone - whoever you are, wherever you’re from, all are welcome. Upstairs, there is a large meeting room at the front. On match day, everyone is welcome to sit and have a chat with members of the team. The meeting room includes a kitchen area, with facilities for making hot drinks. Lavatory facilities are also available.

Regular updates concerning HJC merchandise, fundraising events, poems and supporters thoughts on the Hillsborough tragedy are available free of charge from the shop.

There are many items on-site for you to purchase - books, badges, and a variety of T-shirts, posters and many other items. All monies raised will go towards the Campaign for Justice and for the upkeep of the shop. There are many pictures on the shop walls relating to Hillsborough and Liverpool FC in general. These extend into a walkway at the rear of the shop. At the rear of the shop, plans are in place to erect a garden of remembrance.

Here are some of the items that are available:-
Badge - Yellow original £2.00
Badge - Red eternal flame £2.00
Badge - Don’t buy the Sxn £2.00 *NEW*
Key ring eternal flame £4.00 *NEW*
Scarf £4.00 *NEW*
Lighter £1.00
Words of Tribute (original) £1.50
Mugs £5.00 *NEW*
Scum T-shirts £8.00
T-shirt - 96 £6.00
T-shirt - Liverbird / Houllier £12.00*NEW*
Anne Williams book £10.00 *sold out*
Polo shirts £14.00
T-shirt - black £7.00
Partizan Media T-shirts (various) £15.00*NEW*
Book - Pete Evo - One Boy & His Kop £10.00
Book - Pete Evo - My Youth, My Kop £10.00
Book - Jim Dempsey - 3 Cups For The Kop £3.00
Book - George Sephton - This Is Anfield Calling £3.00
Fanzine - RAOTL £ 2.00
Photos - players £1.50
Posters - various £3.00
Kenny Dalglish t-shirt £12.00 *NEW*

Copies of Mark Platt’s superb book detailing Liverpool’s European Cup exploits in 1977 are also available, these are priced at £ 12.00. As well as being available direct from the shop, the books can be purchased through Paypal via John_mac@blueyonder.co.uk please add £1.00 for postage and packing.

The Greatest European Story Ever Told
Finally after many months of work an epic piece of Liverpool writing is complete. The Greatest European Story Ever Told (GESET) stands at over 100 pages and covers every match the Reds have played in Europe since our first game against KR Reykjavik in August 1964. It tells the stories of the ties and interweaves many humorous fan recollections regarding their adventures away from home. It also includes some of the songs inspired by and sung on those trips. A small taster is included at the end of this article.

WARNING: Some of the stories contain colorful language which may not be suitable for children

If you would like to download a copy from the GESET website in one of FIVE formats, priced at £3.01. To download the story you need a username and password and the website address which can be obtained by e-mailing:

lfcineurope@aol.com or mottman@hotmail.com or antonyphoenix@skynet.be
(putting GESET in the subject field)

The full download details will be forwarded when commitment to pay is received. The story is available in the following formats:

WPS (771Kb) DOC (438Kb) PDF (480Kb) RTF (393Kb) TXT (361Kb)

You can either pay by cheque or postal order made payable to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign (see below for details).

If paying by this method please leave a comment in the message section saying your donation is for the GESET Story. A senior citizen, student and unemployed discount of £1.00 will apply. Please forward your full name, e-mail address and age to one of the above email addresses to qualify for the discount. In the interest of raising as much as possible I would kindly ask that you do not forward the story to third parties.

Limited numbers of the hard backed copies (bound in a snazzy cover) will be available in the HJC shop, priced at only £5.00. If you would like a copy to be posted direct to you, please forward payment by post or online (as detailed below, adding £1.00 for postage and packing) and we’ll send you out a copy.

The idea of this project is to boost HJC funds by as much as possible. If you don’t want the story yourself please feel free to email these details to any Liverpool supporters you think may be interested (young or old). If you need any further information, please feel free to contact us.

And now, as promised, a little section to whet your appetite ...

My Mum had a brain wave of booking a week in a caravan in Rhyl and just guess what week it was ? You got it, the week of the final at Hamden. The rows were ongoing for what seemed like ages, but as usual me Dad won with a bit of compromise, yes we would be going to Rhyl, but we would be going to Glasgow from Rhyl, lets just hope the Ford "Pop" was up to the extra few miles.

Playing in Glasgow should have been an advantage but atrocious weather plus the fact that many Glaswegians shunned the event once Celtic had been knocked out, those that did attend supported the "Crouts", where were all the Rangers fans when we needed them ? (for future reference, All Scots are Midland Bankers, unless they play for my beloved Reds) and that kept the crowd down to under 42,000 in the vast bowl with enormous terraces that Hampden Park was at the time.

Siggi Held, who would appear later that summer for West Germany in the World Cup final, gave the Germans from Borussia Dortmund the lead but another man who would also appear in that famous Wembley final of 1966, Roger Hunt equalised midway through the second-half, even though it appeared that Peter Thompson had taken the ball over the goal-line before crossing for Hunt to turn and strike his goal. Coming from behind should have given Liverpool an advantage in extra-time but once again, as in Milan a year previously, Fate conspired to deny them their moment of glory in the most cruel way. Tommy Lawrence came sliding out of his goal to clear but the ball only fell to Libuda about 40 yards out. He tried a speculative lob seeing the opposition goalkeeper stranded and the ball hit the bar before glancing into the net off Ron Yeats who had rushed back trying to clear the danger. That proved to be the winning goal and once again the European season ended in great disappointment. But reaching a semi-final and then a final in the club’s first two European campaigns was still a terrific achievement. Now we had to travel back to "sunny Rhyl" (another disappointment, for future ref Rhyl is cr#p) But it was my first trip abroad watching Liverpool, I don’t know what all the fuss is about going abroad, Scotland is wet and cold, the idea of going abroad for holidays will never take off. Believe me, Wales and Scotland are not that much sunnier than New Brighton or West Kirby.

MarkP (writes)
Hampden Park in Glasgow was the setting for Liverpool Football Club's first ever-European Final in 1966.Borussia Dortmund were the opponents, the European Cup Winners Cup was the competition and after defeating Celtic over two legs in a momentous semi-final hopes were high that Liverpool, in only their second season of continental competition, could complete a unique league and cup double. Five days before the Cup Winners Cup Final Bill Shankly's Reds clinched the league title with a 2-1 home win against Chelsea and confidence in the camp was sky-high as the 14-man squad – minus injured semi-final hero Geoff Strong – arrived in Glasgow.

Liverpool made their base in the seaside resort of Largs, while opponents Borussia Dortmund were staying further up the coast in Troon. Back in September Borussia's vice-president had stated that Liverpool was the team he feared most in the competition but his own side were a formidable force themselves. Their star-studded forward line consisted of five German internationals and in the last four they had successfully disposed of Cup Winners Cup holders West Ham, defeating them home and away with an impressive showing. Liverpool's preparation for what would be one of the biggest games the club had ever played was typically meticulous. Rueben Bennett had been dispatched to Germany to run the rule over Dortmund on a number of occasions and ahead of the game the players sat down and watched a video of the semi-final victory over West Ham. Leading goal scorer Roger Hunt was the Reds main injury worry ahead of the final and on the day before the striker was ordered by Bob Paisley to paddle in the icy waters of the Clyde Estuary before being prescribed heat treatment in the evening. After which Hunt commented, "I feel great. "Despite torrential rain on the morning of the match 20,000 Liverpudlians left Liverpool by rail, road and air to cheer on their heroes. All roads out of the city were reported to be jam-packed, while Exchange Station was besieged by fans throughout the morning and six specially chartered flights flew from Speke to Glasgow. On arriving in Scotland the weather was no better but the red masses lit up an otherwise grey and rain swept Hampden Park. The dismal conditions, live TV coverage and the fact that Celtic had been knocked out in the semi-final restricted the crowd at the 130,000 capacity stadium to just over 41,000 and although the travelling Kopites vastly outnumbered their German counterparts the majority of neutral support went to Borussia, the Scots having not forgiven Liverpool for eliminating the Celts.

In a first half of few opportunities Liverpool enjoyed the greater possession but the Germans created the best of the chances. The opening minute saw Borussia left back Redder clear off the line from St John and later in the half he almost headed into his own net. At the opposite end Lawrence saved brilliantly to deny Schmidt and when Held charged through the Reds defence the 'flying pig' was alert to parry a powerful shot. Liverpool began the second half in dominant fashion. Milne was pulling the strings in midfield and the Reds began to exert pressure. Milne shot wide and Stevenson had a shot saved. However, they were rocked by a Borussia goal against the run of play on – minutes. In a rare lapse, Milne lost possession deep in the Dortmund half and was severely punished. Assauer launched the Borussia attack, only their second of the half. His pass found Held who, in turn, fed Emmerich out on the touchline. Held then raced towards goal to receive the return pass, finding space in between Yeats and Smith on the edge of the Liverpool penalty box and smashing home Emmerich's cross past a static Lawrence who was given no chance. Liverpool refused to be shaken by the shock of conceding the goal and seven minutes later they drew level amid controversial circumstances. Thompson raced past three Borussia players down the left wing before centering from the by-line. Borussia's players claimed the ball had crossed the line but play continued and the cross found Hunt who pulled the ball down with his right foot and then hammered it high into the net with his left. Hundreds of Liverpudlians swarmed on to the Hampden Park pitch in celebration as the entire Borussia team protested to the referee.

Confusion reigned but the goal stood and once the pitch was cleared Liverpool pressed forward in search of a winner. As the minutes ticked by the Reds launched a vigorous assault on the Borussia goal and in the final minute St John's pass sent Hunt racing clean through with only the keeper to beat. But instead of opting for a first time shot the normally lethal finisher decided to take the ball on a few yards and his subsequent tame shot was comfortably saved. Looking back Hunt recalls: "In the last few seconds of normal time the ball broke right for me to hit with my left foot, but I thought the centre half was coming to block it and I tried to take it a little further and overran it. Thinking back I think I should have hit it first time, but I did what I thought was the right thing at the time. "It was a miss that would haunt Hunt but as the game went into extra time Liverpool remained in the ascendancy.

St John headed straight at the keeper, Smith shot wide and Callaghan missed from close-range. Borussia seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure and that was exactly what they did until the 107th minute. With their first attack of extra time centre back Paul's free kick over the Reds defence saw Held bearing down on goal. Lawrence raced off his line to save bravely on edge of the box. Unfortunately the ball bounced straight to Libuda, 40 yards from goal and with a gaping goal at his mercy he intelligently lobbed the ball over a stranded Lawrence. Yeats made a desperate attempt to race back but as the ball came back off the inside of the post it was cruelly deflected into the net off the body of a distraught Reds captain. It was enough to end Liverpool's European dream and Borussia Dortmund became the first German club to win a European trophy. On reflection Yeats recalls: "We all wanted to do especially well because it was in Britain, and we Scottish lads felt it a bit more keenly for being at Hampden. That goal was bad enough, but it wasn't just that. We didn't do ourselves justice on the night. We pounded them at times, but they weren't a bad side and came back at us." Bill Shankly was less complimentary about Liverpool's opponents when speaking in the aftermath of the match: "We were beaten by a team of frightened men. It was obviously their plan from the start simply to keep us in subjection. They had no real attacking plan but they won and I am quite sincere when I say they are the worst team we met in the competition this season. "If Tommy Smith and Roger Hunt would have been fully fit we would have won easily. Smith injured an ankle six weeks ago and aggravated the injury early in the game it early in the game. Hunt injured his ankle again midway through the first half."

Many thanks to all that have contributed so far, both in helping with the project and orders already placed. If you have enjoyed reading this unique story, please tell a friend.

There is a new HJC T-shirt available for £12.00, please add £1.00 for post and packing. It is a grey t-shirt with an image of Kenny, our greatest ever player, in his first season at the club. Embossed onto the image is the Justice flag encircled in the words Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

The new HJC mug is now available, It is a bone china mug, with two gold hoops and the HJC eternal flame motif and would certainly be a talking point on any desk around the country - another opportunity to spread the word. The mug is priced at £5.00 we estimate postage and packing to be around £1.00 per mug (this may be subject to some fluctuation depending if you are UK based or based abroad, please add £1.75 if based overseas).

The HJC have recently abolished membership fees for people wishing to become members of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign - we are currently in the process of producing a database which will be used to forward HJC updates to registered members. If possible, please include your e-mail address, as this may be used in the near future to keep you advised of HJC updates. Any details supplied will be kept in the strictest of confidence, and will not be passed to anybody else.

The HJC website is constantly being updated, please visit it regularly to find out the latest news concerning the fight for JUSTICE and other related matters. www.contrast.org/hillsborough

Where to send donations / orders too:

You can order and make payment by Paypal to: john_mac@blueyonder.co.uk

Please leave a message in the section provided to say what items you require (and sizes – colours etc, if applicable).

You can either pay by cheque or postal order made payable to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign (Don’t forget to mention which size you require) and send to:

John McCormick, 16 Acton Road, Kirkby, Liverpool, L32 0TT

Robbie Ashcroft, 48 Marina Crescent, Netherton, Bootle, Merseyside, L30 1RR

Hillsborough Justice Campaign
P O Box 1089
178 Walton Breck Road
Liverpool
L69 4WR

If paying by cheque or postal order, please allow 10-14 days for delivery, please ensure that you make them payable to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

by Kevin Mahon – Liverpool V Leicester 2003 - I just had to put on record my feelings following my visit to Anfield on Saturday.

I went with my two sons and the wife but we could only get two tickets for the game. I insisted the boys used them with the self-sacrifice only a father would understand. They are, after all, the future heartbeat of the club. We saw the boys to the turnstiles and bade them a goodbye and wished them a good game and then my wife and I spent some time walking slowly around the ground. (I was soaking up the atmosphere while she wondered just when her shopping trip would start)

We visited the Hillsborough Memorial and, as usual it was bedecked with scarves and mementos of fans paying their respects. There were several bunches of flowers and accompanying cards. We read them as we paused in front of the red marbled edifice for a time. One was particularly moving.

It commemorated the birthday of one of the boys who had died that awful day in Sheffield. It was a birthday card from his mother. It simply read:"You would have been 32 this week. How I love and miss you still.Happy Birthday, my beautiful Son." Beside the card were two laminated photographs clipped together defiantly keeping out the autumnal drizzle. One was of a baby and the other of a fresh faced young man of approximately eighteen summers. They were of the same man and boy who had lost his life following his passion in the support of Liverpool Football Club.

We had just said goodbye to our beautiful sons (one aged 18 and the other 14) and saw them off into a football match. They were excited and full of anticipation. We were left behind, happy for them, pleased that they had had an opportunity to attend the game and looked forward to seeing them again soon after the match when we would be regaled with their accounts of the experience. In that moment of reading the card written by a grieving mother, of listening to the roar of an excited crowd inside the ground and of waving goodbye to the flowers of our youth, we both felt the same leaden heartbeat of the mother who had lost her son.

We were deeply moved and clung to each other in a reassuring embrace. While we took some deep breaths and stepped back from the shrine, I looked with fresh eyes at the activity around the monument. Many Leicester fans paused respectfully and read the array of names. They were joined by Liverpool supporters and a hushed conversation sprang up between them, made comrades by the terrible event etched into the marble. Other fans wearing red who had
obviously paid homage on numerous occasions rushed past but not without a revered nod of appreciation. Several made a point of touching the cold marble slab in passing rather like the players used to do so religiously of the "This is Anfield" sign in the tunnel.

We had drunk deeply at the well of human emotion. A well whose waters encompassed so many conflicting emotions of fear, love, tenderness, grief, compassion, respect and the surge of feeling part of something important in the lives of so many. It is a bitter-sweet concoction. How sweet it is to have had so many loved ones in our midst; we must always value what we have, and how bitter to have lost them so wantonly at the capricious decision to open those doors at the Leppings Lane end.

As far as we can accompany those left behind and grieving, I hope that they do feel that they will never walk alone. It's the only assurance we can give to that mother left with the warmth of her memories of her beautiful son. God bless you.
The long road to Justice.

Peter Carney of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign talks about his near-death experience, while Anne Williams prepares to appeal to the Attorney General for a new inquest into the death of her 15 – year son Kevin.

The history of Hillsborough begins with the deaths of 96 people and the physical and mental injury of countless others. However it does not end there. Hillsborough is a metaphor for British society today. It is a microcosm of how society operates. The history of Hillsborough has become the history of injustice, of cover-up and of collusion. History will place Hillsborough firmly within the bounds of civil rights. The bereaved and the survivors of the disaster will long be remembered for the heroic stances they took against the might of bureaucratic forces in the name of justice.

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign (HJC) is made up of bereaved families, survivors and supporters campaigning for justice for 96 people who died at Sheffield Wednesday'’ Hillsborough football ground on 15th April 1989. In 1998, nine years after a near-death experience at Hillsborough. Peter Carney was instrumental in the founding of the HJC to forge links between the survivors of the disaster, like himself, and the families of those who died at Hillsborough. His work within the group includes counselling other survivors and people, who only now, 14 years on, are coming to terms with the disaster and opening up about their experiences.

Peter Carney didn’t know at the time, but when he entered the Leppings Lane end 10 minutes before kick-off, some fans were already dead. He was on the terrace, Pen3, where the most of the deaths occurred. Peter talked to The Guardian’s Simon Hattenstone in 1999:

By the time I got into the pen, I was turned around and facing backwards. I was swaying and I was on my tip-toes and swivelling my hips” The screaming was terrible, the crush awful, but I was still straining to actually see the match. I wasn’t interested in the play: I just had to keep my mind on something other than the crush, because there was less and less breath. I must have been tilting my head back to get air, and I started to focus on the stands and then the hills beyond the ground.”
Peter passed out and found himself placed where several of the dead had been laid by the back wall of the terrace. People around him thought he was dead. “ I had what was called a near-death experience. The last thought I had before passing out was that I was lifting above myself up above the crowd. I think I was just tilting my head to get more air, but I was looking down from the clouds on the crowd below and there is a perfect circle of people all closing in on me.”

Unlike the Hillsborough Family Support Group, set up days after the disaster, the Hillsborough Justice Campaign includes survivors, “The survivor’s role in the rescue has never been looked at”, says Peter, “they were lucky to come out alive, but what they went through as rescuers was never considered. There hasn’t been the means to deal with the problems of the 10,000 people in the pens that day.”

The families and survivors in the Hillsborough Justice Campaign continue the fight for Justice. Anne Williams, whose 15 year old son died at the game, and her solicitors are currently preparing a memorial to the Attorney General to hold a new inquest into the death of Kevin.

The Truth about Hillsborough is still denied by the authorities. Most people don’t even realise that events after 3.06pm that afternoon have never been examined.

As Anne Williams says, “Kevin was 15 when he died, he was just a little boy who went to a football match and did not come home and I want people to know what extremes the system will go to, to cover up the truth about what happened to him.

“It took me nearly four years to find out what had happened to Kevin because of all the lies I had been told.”

“Kevin had two inquests. Neither of them gave any answers. Witnesses were mentioned but never called, they used parts of statements so the jury never heard the full story of what happened to Kevin so I was left upset and confused.”

“ I decided to track down the witnesses myself, only to find a different story.”

“The coroner decided to put a 3.15pm cut off point, the reason he argued that the victims would have been dead or brain dead by that time. No evidence was heard after that time.”

“Kevin does not relate to the 3.15pm cut off point. After spending hours discussing Kevin’s injuries with the top forensic pathologist in this country, Dr Ian west of Guys Hospital, I found out that Kevin would not have died by 3.15pm and could have been saved.”

“I tracked down five people who helped Kevin after 3.15pm that day, three Liverpool fans, an off duty police officer from Liverpool and a SWPC who was on duty at the time. I found out that Kevin was lifted out of pen three at 3.28pm. He was then put on a hoarding and taken across the pitch by Stevie Hart and Tony O’Keefe, both Liverpool fans. Both told me he was alive. They left Kevin with a police officer by the North Stand who told them he would look after Kevin. The police officer walked away and left Kevin. Johnny Prescott, another Liverpool fan, saw and realised he was alive and ran to get help from a St Johns Ambulance man.”

“In the meantime, an off duty police officer Derek Bruder saw Kevin lying in front of a police cordon moving his head and left his seat in the North Stand to go and help Kevin. Not one of the police officers would break the cordon to help him. When Mr Bruder got to Kevin, Johnny Prescott was with him and a St Johns Ambulance man. They then carried out resuscitation and heart massage. Mr Bruder found a pulse and at 3.37pm an ambulance came onto the pitch and headed towards the Leppings Lane end of the ground. Mr Bruder shouted for someone to stop it, as he wanted to put Kevin in it. Johnny Prescott was going to try but the St Johns ambulance man went instead. The ambulance would not stop.”

“After a short time a St Johns ambulance women took over from Mr Bruder after shining a torch in Kevin’s eyes, she said he had ‘gone’. Mr Bruder was sick himself and then left the scene.”
“Johnny Prescott stayed with Kevin when SWPC Martin came to take Kevin to the gym. Johnny helped put Kevin on a trolley. Miss Martin was told to stay with Kevin and carry out heart massage and resuscitation. She put Kevin in the part of the gymnasium that was set aside for the injured. Miss Martin found a pulse and after resuscitation Kevin’s ribs started to move so thinking she had him alive, she picked up Kevin up in her arms. It was then that Kevin opened his eyes, murmured the word ‘Mum’. Slumped back and died in her arms at 4pm.”

“After finding out the truth about what happened to Kevin, I took his case to the Attorney General asking him to give me a new inquest on him. Kevin has not had a full inquest. The 3.15pm cut off point meant the jury never heard what happened to him up to 4pm that day.”

“Evidence has been suppressed, statements have been changed, there has never been a full inquiry into how Kevin died. Three times my memorial was submitted, three times it was refused. I have had a Judicial review, a Cook Report programme and nobody will do anything to have Kevin’s case reopened. If Kevin got a new inquest, evidence from 3.15pm to 4.00pm that day would have to be looked into and nobody wants to answer for the mistakes that were made after 3.15pm.”

“My son was alive until 4pm, that day. He would not have died had he received a simple procedure to save his life. But because the police never implemented the Major Disaster Plan or let the ambulances on to the pitch, Kevin was left to die.”

“I want an inquiry from 3.15pm to 4pm, The time nobody has looked into. The time when the disaster was at its worst.”

“The only people that helped Kevin that day were the Liverpool fans. They were the people trying to do their best in a situation that was completely out of control. It should not have been left to the fans to see to the dying and injured. Where were the ambulances? They were cordoned off by the police. Why?”

“If we don’t get an inquiry after 3.15pm that dreadful day, the lessons of Hillsborough will never be learnt. I want to know why my son was left to die when he could have been saved, why he did not get the treatment that could have saved him. If the police had done their job properly, Kevin would be alive today and many more. If the Liverpool fans had not thrown themselves in to help the way they did, we would have lost more than 96 people at Hillsborough.”

Anne has recently submitted her memorial to the Attorney General, at this point in time it is unknown how long Anne will have to wait.

Kevin Williams died aged 15

By Pete Evo.

Six minutes past three on that tragic day.
The pain and the trauma won't go away.
Crushed as I was in that terrible pen.
Dead bodies around me; one as young as ten.
I was big and strong, so I scrapped and I fought
To save my own life; well that's what I thought.
Because inside I'm dead and it cuts like a knife
That ninety-six died and I have a life.
I did what I had to; I had three kids you see.
I couldn't die; it couldn't be me.
If I had died that day I never would have seen
My Ma's last seven years: My dear old queen.
Ninety-six souls haunt my dreams.
The nightmares won't stop; that's what it seems
I wake up sweating, shivering and shouting out loud
"There's ninety-six dead in that xxxxxxx crowd!"
I feel anger, I feel hatred, I feel guilt, I feel shame.
Ninety-six souls tell me I'm not to blame.
So why do I wake up screaming and crying

Seeing the faces of young people dying?
Ninety-six souls come to meet me each night
Taking me back to that terrible sight.
"They're to blame: Duckenfield and Murray
We'll get justice one day. We're in no hurry."
I should have died that day: I know that's a fact.
With the ninety-six souls I've made a pact.
"When my days are up and my judgement awaits
I'll meet you all in heaven at the Bill Shankly Gates."

Gary Burns. Was a survivor, here are his thoughts.

Gary was 17 at the time of Hillsborough. He remembers it as if it were yesterday. Gary's account of what happened in pen 4 is very graphic. He tells it how it was, including the reaction of people outside Liverpool, based upon the **** they read in the Sun.

How old were you? "17 years old." Did you go to most games?
"Yeah, home and away. I was living near Northampton and we went on the supporter’s coach. We went to the semi-final the year before but I had a seat that year. "Caught the coach at 11.00am,relaxed mood everyone quietly confident of a good game. Sun shining, not too hot, a little overcast in places. Had already received my £6.00 ticket for the Leppings Lane terrace and watched as the other tickets were distributed on the coach. I noticed that there were two spare seat tickets. I thought about changing my ticket for a seat but decided not to because the atmosphere would be better standing and that I would save the £2.00!
"Arrived at the ground about 1.45pm. Seemed busy around the entrance of Leppings Lane, as the coach passed, so decided to stay on the coach and get off further away from the ground. Coach went back up the hill, I got off with Geoff and his son Ryan. We walked down, warm day, seemed to be Liverpool fans everywhere. We were surprised that there was no police cordon stopping anyone who didn't have a ticket, as they did the year before at the previous semi-final. Stopped at a newsagent just outside the ground, met another lad off the coach joked about the shop having no change. Walked through the blue gates towards the turnstiles."

Did you notice any difference from the year before?
"When you walked down, there was a hill towards the ground and they had metal barriers like a cordon with police on it, you had to show them your ticket before you could pass through the cordon. There was none of that from the year before. There was no filtering. When we were there, there wasn't that many people outside, there was no queuing or control. There was just a crowd of people trying to find their own way in., milling around trying to get near to the turnstiles. "Everyone was good-humoured, many supporters began to sing, I joined in. I can remember a mounted policeman sitting there not really knowing what to do for the best. Liverpool fans started joking with him, he joked back. "The whole scene was stupid, the flow through the turnstiles was very slow because of the lack of definite queues for each turnstile. People were eager but not desperate to get in but at least when you are in a queue at least you can see the end and you feel that you are actually going somewhere but not here. Finally the mounted policeman started to look worried, his horse turning one way then another, he shouted across to another policeman who was stood by the far turnstile. He then started to try and sort things out, he shouted for people to move back, forwards, sideways but it was too little too late. "Eventually I was close to the turnstiles and finally got myself into a position in front of one of the turnstiles, I then noticed that one supporter had entered the turnstile but was involved in a conversation with the bloke on the gate. Suddenly the policeman who was stood next to the turnstile turned and entered the turnstile and started talking to the gateman. The policeman then grabbed hold of the supporter by the arm and tried to push him out of the turnstile entrance but with the crowd there was nowhere for the policeman to go, so he turned said something to the gateman and let the supporter enter through. What the problem was I don't know because I couldn't hear anything, but it was obvious that even at this early stage the police had no control.

"I finally entered the ground through turnstile three, third from the left near a big blue gate. Police officers were on the other side randomly searching people, they didn't search me and I stood and waited for the others. They finally came through moaning that the horse had nearly stood on Ryan's foot. We walked across a courtyard and towards a toilet, which was on the right of the tunnel. As we did I mentioned to Geoff that if it was like that outside what would it be like inside. We bought a programme and made our way through the only obvious entrance to the terracing, through the tunnel.
"The tunnel was a strange design, long, narrow but dark with no light's at all and the floor sloped upwards as you walked through but with the darkness you never noticed the slope. There weren't many other people walking through the tunnel as the three of us did but I can remember half stumbling because you couldn't see the slope in the darkness. Then as you got closer to the end and came into the daylight you were suddenly confronted by the dividing fence separating pen's 3 and 4. We went to the left side of the fence into pen 4."

How full was it at that time?
"We walked down into pen 4 and stopped about half way down the terracing. The top half of pen 4 was packed but there was space further down and with Ryan only being small we moved so that he could see. As we stood settling into our vantage point I kept glancing behind towards the top half of the terrace where all the singing was starting. I wanted to move backwards, I wanted to be where all the atmosphere would be. I asked Geoff if he minded if I moved, he said he didn't, "Go and stand with the young ones," he said. "I made my way back and tried to make my way into the singing throng. I can remember a beach ball being thrown around, the large multi-coloured ball bouncing off unexpected heads who weren't watching, cheers from all round. The ball was now being thrown between the two pens. Everyone having a good time, very good humoured with the atmosphere building, the buzz of anticipation as we looked forward to another semi-final win. "I tried to stand in my new spot for about five minutes but it was packed, the crowd swaying one way then another. I was used to standing, I'm over six foot, had a season ticket for the Kop and had learnt the art of watching football amongst the best footballing crowd there was. But this was boisterous, it was getting packed so I decided to move back down and stand with Geoff and his son. I found them and said that it was too busy up there and joked that I was knackered already!
"A tall bloke came and stood right in front of us so we had to move again. We moved further down the pen, towards the front of the pen, towards the fencing. The middle of the pen down to the bottom was fairly empty, there wasn't many people stood in front of us. There was big, wide open spaces but behind us was busy. We stayed there for a while. We kept looking round for somewhere the Geoff's son could see and we looked across at the corner pen (pen 5) and we thought it would be a good view if we could get up there but we didn't know how you'd get up there. We'd come through the tunnel to get into the ground, there wasn't any other obvious entrances. We thought you might have to have a specific ticket or that bit's not open. We couldn't see any immediate way of getting to it so we thought we'll stay where we are. The ground started filling up a bit more, nothing untoward. It must have been about 2.30 p.m., it was beginning to fill up but again nothing out of the ordinary and again you got the feeling that the pens were full and you couldn't get anymore in. In front of us there was still space, it was obviously filling up behind but you don't really look behind."

Could you distinguish they were pens? "Yes because when we came through the tunnel you had the separating fences right in front. We knew we were in pens. As we came through the tunnel it was a case of left or right so we went left, which is probably how we ended up in pen 4."

Did you notice anything about pen 3 - that it was worse?
When we got in, pen 3 was probably fuller than pen 4. That's probably half the reason why we went into pen 4 subconsciously. It seemed to be filling up but nothing out of the ordinary but then suddenly it seemed really busy. "You were suddenly aware of people stood around you or next to you or behind you. Then the space in front filled up but even then you thought it's just filling up - it's getting close to the kick-off. All of a sudden it seemed a bit tighter, people were standing on your feet and still trying to come past you, still trying to find some space to stand and they were coming past and seeing there wasn't really anywhere to go. People were trying to level out trying to find somewhere to stand. Suddenly you realised that you couldn't really move that well. You were pinned up against other people. You thought surely there can't be many more people coming in or if there are there couldn't be much space. I couldn't see where my mates were. I shouted out but I couldn't see them at all. There was still people trying to move down and people in front were shouting 'move back' and people were shouting back 'there's nowhere to move to.' "Then it started to get uncomfortable, I suddenly realised that I couldn't move, I was pinned, sandwiched in place. I was separated from the others, I shouted Geoff's name but heard no reply. I began to try and look around but I couldn't move my shoulders to turn, so I moved my head left and right but I still couldn't see them. I thought the pressure would ease as the crowd would find space but the pressure slowly increased. I now found myself so close to the fence at the front of pen 4 that, if I'd been able to, I was close enough to touch the fence. I was now to the left of the goal (as you looked at the goal from the pens)."

Were you aware of the gates onto the perimeter track where you could have got out that way?
"No. I can remember everyone cheering as the two teams came out onto the pitch but I couldn't see much and was too concerned about what was happening around me. You kept thinking people would move into a different pen or they would open another pen up or this is as busy as it's going to get, they're not going to let any more in. There was a woman in front, I couldn't see her, she started screaming, she was shouting out 'let me out.' She was somewhere to the right of me, I couldn't see who it was but this plea for help turned into a full wrenched scream, one long continuous scream. I can remember thinking to myself "Please stop screaming you'll be alright, please stop." I kept thinking if someone's screaming like that, if there's something, someone can do they're going to do it. "But it continued, she started pleading for someone to help her. Everyone it seemed was shouting at anyone who walked past on the running track, but nobody took any notice. I can remember a steward walking along, how could he ignore all the noise especially the woman screaming. From behind someone shouted, "Hey ******** open the gate, there's people dying in here!" The steward kept walking past pen 4 and then across the front of pen 3, he then suddenly stopped turned and faced pen 3.Surely he can't ignore us now, open your eyes, do something I thought. I could hear others shouting at him pleading, but he gazed into pen 3 for a second and turned away face expressionless. Don't walk away do something. "I then noticed that a couple of photographers who were positioned on the running track behind the advertisement boards, had turned around and now had their cameras focused towards pen 4 taking pictures, I shouted, "Put the ******* camera down and help us!" But still they crouched moving their cameras to get a better picture. Surely if they had noticed that something drastic was happening it was worth taking pictures of why had no-one else noticed and helped.

Was the atmosphere one of panic?
"People in front were shouting. People were shouting out behind but you couldn't turn your head to look round. Every so often you would get someone yelling out in agony, then it would stop. Then they would yell out again. There was a lot of noise but every so often you would hear someone shouting out louder above the noise. "I couldn't see behind. I felt something by my leg. If you were stood on the Kop, you'd get little kids crawl through your legs. I couldn't see a kid but the voice was low down and right behind me. He was half crying and panicking saying 'I've got to get out, get over the fence' but I said 'I can't.' He said 'reach out and get over the fence.' This lad was really panicking. I could feel his chin half way up my back, he sounded young so I thought he can't be that big. I thought I can't have this lad screaming in my ear, so I said 'grab my shoulders, climb up my back and you can get out.'
"He started doing this. I thought as long as my legs don't buckle, I'll be fine. There was nowhere to move sideways or forward or backwards. I told him to try and free his arms, to grab hold of my shoulders to pull himself up and climb up my back. From the position of his head I guessed he couldn't be that tall so he'd be quite easy to support. His hands reached up and grabbed my shoulders, he started to try and scramble himself up, his fingers dug into my shoulder blades. My legs almost buckled under the weight as he started pulling down on my shoulders but I knew that he would soon be there. He was so close I could feel his belt scraping on my back, then he pulled himself up, his feet searching for upwards leverage dug into my back. "I couldn't take much more of this but I could feel his knees on my shoulders, one final effort and he reached forward and grabbed hold of the top of the spikes. Feet swinging up, scuffing my ears as he placed his feet either side of my head, he leapt forward and he was on the fence and gone. Never saw his face, I can remember his trainers though, he must have been about 12 or 13. He said 'thanks mate.'

"I selfishly thought I'd have a bit more room and I quickly moved my arms down to protect my rib cage, ran my arms straight down and bent them across to try and protect my ribs. That was the last time I was able to move my arms. "I thought now I've got more room. So I put my arms down to protect my ribs. The woman had stopped screaming. There was pressure but every so often it got tighter. When it wasn't tight, you were trying to gulp and get air. I strained my neck. There was a layer of hot air above your head, it was like a sauna. You'd gulp the air in but then you couldn't breathe out. You were taking sort panting breaths. "I never saw the game kick-off. There were too many people in front. There was a young lad on the perimeter fence who said 'Beardsley's hit the bar.' You heard a groan from the crowd. This lad started singing 'Liverpool.' Someone shouted 'shut up, this is serious.' The lad got over the fence and went. "It was still tight, you couldn't see anyway out. There were people who had got out who were on the fence trying to pull people up but if you looked at pen 3 there was more on that fence. But the fence was so high it was difficult. The blue metal mesh of the fence that seemed to reach high above your head, which then met the spiked top that reached back and pointed inwards towards the pens. The design of the fence made it difficult for the un-official rescuers, you could see them as they tried to try and stretch over and beyond the spikes and then find the strength to grip and hold one of the flailing arms, trying desperately, frantically all they could do. Where's the help, its only our own who are trying to help.

"People were shouting 'coming down' and you knew someone was being passed down. Anyone who had been on the Kop knew and had seen the practice of someone injured being passed down to the front for treatment. It was football supporter's unofficial emergency exit. I looked to my right and saw a bloke being passed down. I managed to get my arms up. I had hold of his head and shoulders. We couldn't move him forward. I looked in his face and his eyes were shut. I never thought it would be possible for a person to turn that colour, he was white, seemed as if he'd been bleached in the sun, his lipsand his nostrils were blue. It was as if he was wearing blue lipstick but this was real.
"He opened his eyes, his pupils were dilated and dark but he opened his eyes and looked as though he was slowly trying to focus at me. I started to cry, "It's alright mate your getting out, it's over!" I tapped his face at first then slapped him harder. Some lads got up on the fence. We started to lift him up and he opened his eyes. He looked at me. We lifted him up and I said 'you're getting out.' He didn't blink. His pupils were getting larger. The lads on the fence grabbed him and he was gone.
"It was the strangest, surreal feeling of being in the open air, underneath a perfectly blue sky but not being able to breathe. Choking in the open air. It seemed that a foot above everyone's head there was this layer of hot stale air, no fresh air, no breeze, like an invisible roof above your head. I tried stretching my neck muscles upwards to try and find fresher cool air. It was also hot how but it was the aroma in the air that I had never smelt before or since. I could smell vomit, urine etc but this was something unknown. It smelt similar to other things but at the same time smelt nothing like them. It filled your nostrils, I could taste it, I tried to swallow to get rid of the taste but this was impossible because there was no moisture inside my mouth.

"I used to wake up in the middle of the night and I could smell that aroma. I can only describe it as the smell of fear, a pungent substance that is produced deep down from inside the human body and filled the air around me.

"Minutes seemed like hours, people still screaming, pleading begging for help. I could see glimpses of the pitch, through the metal blue mesh of the fence, the beautifully green grass. Looking through the mesh it seemed as though I was looking at a television picture of the outside window, almost like looking through a viewfinder. Everything was in place in front of you, the other side of the fence but somehow you were detached from all this. Five foot in front of me was safety, the normal world where you could breathe normally not like a fish out of water. It had might as well been a thousand miles away. My brain kept telling my lungs to breathe but you couldn't."

Did you see police at the front of pen 4?
"The only people I can remember was the steward that walked past, the photographers and a policewoman but that was it. People patrolling up and down just oblivious to what was going on."
Do you remember people in front you?
"No. There was so many people but no room in front for any people."
How did you get out?

"Then I noticed that some fans in front of me to the left had managed one by one to climb the dividing railings that separated pens 4and5.Above the heads of the crush you could see them scrambling over the fence. Then the people to the side of me started to move slowly sideways, gaps started to appear, crumbled up figures that had remained jammed unable to move for an eternity started to move.
"Gradually as more people climbed over the fence I saw the first glimpse of concrete terracing strewn with litter, but the first signs of escape. My head nearly exploded as I was released from the iron grasp of the crush, I rushed forward a few steps towards the dividing railings.

A man was stood there he put his hand out to slow me down, "Slow down lad, take your time." He was stood there acting like a marshal for people climbing the fence, calming people down and helping anyone who was struggling. Selfishly I just wanted to get out.

"It was only when I was stood next to the railings that I realised how daunting they looked, long, tall and topped by large pointed blue spikes. They must have been 7 foot tall, designed for containment not escape like all the fences that surrounded the Leppings Lane terracing.
"I don't know how I jumped over but I can't honestly remember my feet touching the fence, I remember being on the way over and looking down the other side. I dropped down, my programme fell out of my pocket so I picked it up. I found myself in a gangway (which was lower than the terracing) that separated pens 4 and 5 about 2 foot wide flanked on either side by metal railings. The entrance to the pitch was blocked by a small gate, I walked up a couple of steps and I ducked down but still banged my back as I made my way through the small opening.

"I got onto the running track. The fresh air hit me. I went down on my knees. I then sat at the edge of the pitch because I thought I'd get nicked for a pitch invasion. You still thought 'I'm somewhere I shouldn't be.' It was only then I realised the teams had gone off.
"I fell to my knees and realised how hot I was. My clothes were soaking wet, I was breathing heavily. Someone asked me if I was alright and if I was to move back out of the way. A lad carried another lad out who was wearing a bright white jacket. His hands were the same colour. The other lad shouted 'help me, someone help me.' There was a St John's ambulance man. He got down on his knees and pulled his chin down and started giving him mouth to mouth. He stopped and bent down and put he ear to his mouth and just shook his head. The lad said 'where are you going?' because the ambulance man was walking away. "I turned round and there was more people being laid out on the ground. Motionless, they looked as though they were asleep in surroundings of crazed perpetual motion.
"I knew people had died. Before that I'd never seen a dead body. I though you would see blood or wounds or some type of injury but these people looked like they fainted. I though I don't want to see this anymore. I can't look at this anymore. I moved to the edge of the penalty area. I remember looking for my mates. I was walking around. I saw them and I remember hugging them. We didn't say a lot.
"There was more people being treated, more people being given mouth to mouth. A lad said he heard there were 12 dead, another lad said 17. I thought, yes, there is that many dead. We stood there in shock. I didn't seem to have the energy. I think now, why didn't I help, go back to the fences. I noticed there was lot of activity on pen 3. There were people off the coach who spotted us on the pitch. People weren't chatting, they were quiet.

"The Forest fans started singing something. There were groups of police moving towards the halfway line. It looked like there were containing fans. All the people trying to help were supporters, the only people doing something. Frantic fans trying to resuscitate friends, loved ones, total strangers, it didn't matter, shouting for help. It wasn't like a scene from a Hollywood film there was no blood, no wounds, no visible signs of injury, just white pale faces, blue lips.

"Then groups of lads started running past carrying the injured on advertisement boards ripped of their hoardings used as make shift stretchers. . We thought it best to get out of the way. Some lad had a bucket, he was giving people water. People were looking after each other. Out the way, let us through," they shouted on mass, anxious, worried frantic expressions on their faces as they sped past, flanking the person lying on the board. Occasionally an arm would drape over the side of the board, hanging limbless, bouncing around with each step of the carriers. Other lads would come rushing past shouting, 'Hurry up, he's alive, out of the way.'

"The majority of these 'stretchers' were being supported by other supporters, apart from the young St. John Ambulance man I saw I can't remember seeing that many other uniforms helping in the rescue, many of them stood around, talking into radios which blurted out all of many of incomprehensible garbage. I can remember suddenly numbers of policeman running towards the half way line to form a cordon, silly clueless *******s even now they didn't know or appreciate what was going on. The logic's simple, Liverpool fans on the pitch, must be a pitch invasion, stop them attacking the Forest fans at the other end of the ground at all costs. Ignore all rumours of people dying or needing attention. This is a public disturbance.

"Someone asked me for a ciggie but my hands were shaking that much I couldn't get one out so I gave him the packet. The three of sat still not saying a word until the pens were empty, a steward or a policewoman asked us to make our way out of the ground. Dazed in a state of shock we left by an entrance at the bottom of the corner terracing that we had previously wanted to stand. It seemed like we were the last people to leave. We remember seeing the lad in the pen with his head in his hands.
"We walked out towards the banking straight out on the street. I couldn't believe how many ambulances there were. It was like a taxi rank. We walked towards the coach then I thought - telephone.

"We saw a massive queue for the phones. A slow patient queue, a pensioner stood in the doorway telling all these strangers were the phone was, embarrassed not knowing what to say or act, he kept saying 'sorry mate.' One by one people ringing loved ones, short messages all the same, excuses saying that they couldn't speak for long because of the queue. Lads leaving change on the table next to the phone, so much that it started falling onto the carpet, thanking the elderly couple and then leaving. I rang home, my dad answered, my mum was screaming in the background.
"We were the last 3 people back to the coach, so they'd sent people out looking for us. We were going down the M1 an stopped at a service station. I went to the toilets. There were skinheads, Forest fans, who were saying 'what's the score, 26-nil or is it 37-nil. No it must be 42-nil by now.' I couldn't do anything. The police ran it and got them out.

"I got back to my car at about 9.30. It used to take me 40 minutes to drive home but it took me 1 hour 10 minutes. I got in and explained what happened but not about the lad I held in my arms.
"The next day, my dad asked if I wanted to go to mass. I didn't really want to go. My body was bruised. I said I'd go but wanted to go straight in, not stand outside talking. The priest said a prayer for all those who'd died. I started crying. It was the last place I wanted to be but they kept me in there.
"I watched the service on the Sunday. People kept coming round to ask what happened. We went to the ground on the Thursday. We put our flowers down on the pitch and I just broke down. A steward come over and took us into the players lounge. Someone gave me a Liverpool shirt and said 'we'll get it signed.' John Aldridge came over to talk to us. I thought it was wrong. Everyone in the lounge was a bereaved family.

"I went to school on the Friday. I was doing my A levels. One lad saw me and said 'we thought you were dead.' The following Saturday, mum and dad took me to watch rugby. We went into the club house and a lad came and sat at the table going on about scousers killing each other. I said 'what do you know about that?' He said 'haven't you read the papers, didn't you see what The Sun said, robbing scousers.' I said 'what do you know?' He said 'what's up with you, what do you know about it?' I said 'I was there.' He said 'I know what I read, I spoke to police I trained with and they said the same, they know what they saw.' I got up and grabbed hold of him. Some lads got hold of him and said 'leave it.' He said 'why can't he take the ******* truth?'

"I went to school on the Monday. My eyes would fill up, I was thinking, what am I doing here? A lad walked into the common room and said 'have you heard what's going round? What's Liverpool fans favourite song? Take my breath away.' One teacher said I should go to Liverpool. I found it hard. I felt like I wasn't part of it, people didn't expect me to have been there. I wanted to speak to someone who was there. A lot of people outside of Liverpool didn't hear consistent accounts, so when the papers were out they believed them. I felt guilty. If I could have died but someone else got out, I'd have been happy with that.
"For a long time I wanted to go round bereaved families and say 'sorry I'm here. I survived and I'm sorry.' I wanted to find out if the bloke I helped had died or survived. I'd study pictures looking for him. My dad had asked a solicitor about suing someone but they said I hadn't got a claim because I hadn't died.

"I started work in a bank in November 1989. I thought I was fine at the time. When I went into the safe I was sweating. I'd make excuses so I wouldn't have to go down there. No-one knew how to cope. I told my gran I'd sat in the seats. I wasn't doing very well at work. Reports said I was in a daze, that I was distant.
"It came to the first anniversary. Me and a lad were going to drive up and stay in a bed and breakfast. I went to work and said I wanted the time off. The manager said no. I told him I was at Hillsborough. He still said no. He said 'why do you want to remember it.' I said if I didn't get the day off, I would be ill.' He said if I did, I wouldn't be working there much longer. I got a mate to do a solicitors letter saying I was suing the club and I had to up and see the solicitors. The manager said he didn't believe the paper it was printed on but I could have the day off but to take it off next year's holiday. One lad at work said 'The Sun said you were pickpocketing, they don't print lies.' A year on, the only thing he could remember was The Sun."

Never Forgotten.

WHY WE WALK ON (or why have a Justice Campaign) by Peter Carney

WE WALK with hope in our hearts and friends at our side in a struggle to continue challenging the verdicts and opinions which contradict the living experiences of those who survived pens 3 & 4 and the who were bereaved by the storm we have come to know as HILLSBOROUGH.

WE WALK ON in order to show our challenge continues through Anne Williams efforts to have the cause and verdicts on Kevin’s death overturned, to show that survivors still suffer the ill effects of the disaster and challenge the legal lice who ripped us off when we needed their help.

WE WALK ON to continue our challenge to the rancid rag and their rugger rat mates, who spit in our face when all we ask for is the real truth to be told.

WE WALK ON to show solidarity and share proper Sun shine with those we know have had to face a similar struggle. Like the father arrested at Walton while his infant child was taken to Alder Hey, or the mother who was taken to Styal, while her infants lay helpless, all killed by a condition which even the new DNA project will take more than a lifetime to unravel or understand.

WE WALK ON to gather and gain support from each other, support from the likes of you here today, support from those who will still listen, support from those who have made donations, support from those who have organised or taken part in auctions, football tournaments, half marathons, support from those who have bought a book or a badge or a T-shirt.

WE WALK ON because we know with your support we CAN get stronger about how we feel, and clearer about what we need to say or do. WE WALK ON because we know WE CAN change the experience, verdicts and tales of Hillsborough, WE CAN change the minds of FHM magazine and gain a retraction from Michael Moore, WE CAN open a shop of our own, and with the help of friends like you, WE CAN continue to show that our living experience is the REAL TRUTH ABOUT HILLSBOROUGH.

WE WALK BECAUSE YOU HOLD OUR HAND THROUGH THE STORM AND WE WILL NEVER WALK ALONE, THAT’S WHY WE WALK.

BIG BIG THANKS FROM THE HILLSBOROUGH JUSTICE CAMPAIGN.
mottman

Postby mottman » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:07 pm

RAOTL Boycott Chelsea away - £49.00 for Chelsea away!

As a protest against Chelsea charging £49.00 for Liverpool fans to visit
Stamford Bridge in January, we are organising an alternative 'I don't wanna go to Chelsea' evening at Shenanigans Pub on Tithebarn Street, Liverpool to watch the game on the television.

We are selling 'tickets' at £5.00 (all of which goes to the HJC) - but, of course, as its a public house, these tickets are there for fun. We aim to give you all an alternative match night atmosphere so we'll be doing our best to recreate an away day at Chelsea (Except we'll keep ale prices to below £5.00 a pint). Wear a scarf and bring your flag. It'll be like going to the Stamford Bridge but you'll get home before 4am and you'll see more of actual match.

We'll try and raise a few more quid for the Justice Campaign with a raffle or two on the night.

If you just want to make a donation but don't plan to come along then tell them in the HJC shop so we have an idea of numbers on the night.

Shenanigans are very kindly supplying food free of charge, and 'Match'
programmes will also be on sale.

If you think £ 49.00 is far too much for a league game then join us in this protest - tickets will be available from the HJC shop on Boxing Day.

Finally, the Hillsborough Justice Campaign would like to wish each and everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year with special thanks to everyone who has supported the continuing fight for Truth and Justice.

God bless you all

96 candles burn bright
mottman

Postby mottman » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:50 pm

two new t-shirts will be available in the shop tomorrow:

One with Alan Kennedy with the European Cup and the other a superb picture of Ray Kennedy, both are printed onto light sandy colored t-shirts and are priced at £12.00 each.
mottman

Postby mottman » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:05 pm

Thank you to everybody who vistited the HJC shop yesteday - incredible support.
mottman

Postby mottman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:00 pm

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign Shop is now located at 178 Walton Breck Road, opposite the Albert pub. For the Aston Villa home game to be played on Saturday 11th January (kick-off 15:00) the shop will be open from 11.30 until 5 minutes before kick-off. The shop will also be open for around ½ an
hour after the game.
mottman

Postby mottman » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:53 pm

Thank you to everyone who popped in yesterday, another successful day.
Special thanks to Phil Johnson (Scall from LFC.TV) whose help is much appreciated.

For those of you who forwarded orders via the post direct to the shop address your goods will be sent out tomorrow.

Incredible supporters.
mottman

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion