Liverpool v bolton - Boxing day

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:06 pm

bavlondon wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:i wanna see more of THIS!  :laugh:

Saw that on MOTD last night. Must have been very demoralising for the players.

yeah it was damn mean! poor man-management i feel.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GYBS » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:10 pm

some polish guy i think , looks very good . And what brown did yesterday was great . Forget being mean , his players didnt earn there money in the first half and made them suffer . Nothing wrong with that .great management and put those pampered footballers in there place and i bet they wont play as :censored: as they did in the first half again this season .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Thing is it could leave a sour taste in some players and it could in an extreme senario destabalise the team. Generally they have been playing out of their skin this season so it will be interesting to see how they pick up in their next match.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:15 pm

they played better in the second half so it worked in a positive way . And i expect they all understand why he did it and its all been aired out in the changing room after . I expect them to win their next game now .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:23 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:i wanna see more of THIS!  :laugh:

In all the time i have been watching football i have never seen that happen. The players must of felt like s.*i*e getting humiliated like that infront of all the crowd. Mind you saying that sometimes they :censored: deserve it. Might start a new trend now play :censored: right half time get in the centre circle  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:29 pm

They should of brought out a cooler of oranges  :laugh:
SupitsJonF

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:12 am

bigmick wrote:
kazza wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:Nowhere near as good a CENTRAL MIDFIELDER as Alonso or Gerrard. End of.

I would agree this year but you could not have said the same last year so it is relative. Having said that I think Alonso at his best is better than Mascherano at his best, but Alonso is considered in his prime (age wise) and Mascherano is still developing whether you think he will improve further or not. To be captain of Argentina and at such a young age, I would say he is better than you give him credit. Since returning from the Olympics however (and been made captain of Argentina) he has not been as consistant for us. He was better last year.

Maradonna claims that he will build the national team around Mascherano, so he will get plenty of chances in the coming years to show whether he is overated or not. My guess is he is a good little player.

Incredibly enough I actually agree with pretty much all of this post.

Back to Sabes point about "compatability" I think it's probably worth viewing the debate about Masherano/Gerrard as opposed to Alonso/Gerrard in the context it was spoken of at the time. At the time, people were claiming Alonso was playing just as well as he always had done, his form hadn't dipped one iota :D At the time, Alonso was more "compatable" with Carragher than he was with Gerrard as he spent the entire 90 minutes stood within five yards of the centre halves.

The manager was so unimpressed as to Xabi's contribution that he hawked him around europe trying to flog him off. The football managers throughout Europe were so unimpressed with Xabi's contributon, that not one of them was prepared to pay the same fee for his services that Tottenham paid Charlton for Darren Bent. This is the context in whcih the original debate took place, and I think it's probably worth remembering that before the smileys come out  :;):

Of course Alonso is now playing much better than he was previously, everybody (even his fan club) accept that. His form is unrecognisable to last season. Equally, Masherano is playing nowhere near as good. So the comparison has changed, and if you were to pick two central midfielders based purely on current form/compatability, it is obviously Alonso and Gerrard.

Simple really. And people accuse me of always wanting to be proven right lol. I was just the bloke who was saying in the middle of the whole debate how firstly the opposition had managed to nullify Alonso (and they were even talking about it on the "soccer" coverage over here the other day :p) and secondly, how Xabi could change his game to be more effective in England.

Jeez I was soooo wrong on both counts    :cool:

Jeez, I forgot the disclaimer: My post wasn't talking about Bigmick's position.

Do you honestly think I was referring to your posts or even the times in which ALonso's game was most criticised?

No! That was said WAY before the Alonso mega criticism, and by a LOT of posters.

I'll refresh you your memory: Do you remember the season in which Gerrard played in the right and Mascherano wasn't still here. Well, that's when the people started to think that if Gerrard was playing in the right, it had to be because he was incompatible with Alonso. The posts and discussions I remember were as old as that Mick, and I can't even remember who said what back then, but I do remember it was a general thought -- not  yours. Back then I defended the idea that Gerrard wasn't playing in the right because he was incompatible with ALonso, rather, because we had a weak right wing and only Gerrard could fulfill the position comfortably. We were minority thinking that and TBPH I don't remember your position on that thing.

So if you think it was some sort of dig to some post of a few months back, you were wrong. It was a dig to older posts than that.

Remind me to include the disclaimer next time
:;):
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:15 am

JoeTerp wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:a note to the anti masch and home crowd.  Is it a different proposition when Torres is in the team?  I am not talking about the lowest of the lows now, but I could see mach being useful against mid table teams at home if we have torres. In theory it should allow us to get stevie further up the the pitch while continuing to dominate the play in the middle.  Maybe it would become more of a viable option if we had a bigger goal scoring threat than Kuyt out wide right.

Absoloutely not!

He's right IMHO. I'm a bit surprised Mascha isn't used more.

However, when one year ago you were almost alone saying Alonso and Gerrard being a good pairing against the serious mantra of the knowledgeable people who said they were not compatible, you were spot on.

Incompatible? My árse.

can't tell who you are agreeing with. shouldn't use pronouns when quoting two posts. And Stu, would  you care to explain further?

Notation comment: I was only quoting one post. Stu's. Stu's post had an embedded quote.

So by that, and the fact Stu doesn't agree to use Mascha more often, you should know who I was referring to. :p
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:55 am

Sabre wrote:Jeez, I forgot the disclaimer: My post wasn't talking about Bigmick's position.

Do you honestly think I was referring to your posts or even the times in which ALonso's game was most criticised?

No! That was said WAY before the Alonso mega criticism, and by a LOT of posters.

I'll refresh you your memory: Do you remember the season in which Gerrard played in the right and Mascherano wasn't still here. Well, that's when the people started to think that if Gerrard was playing in the right, it had to be because he was incompatible with Alonso. The posts and discussions I remember were as old as that Mick, and I can't even remember who said what back then, but I do remember it was a general thought -- not  yours. Back then I defended the idea that Gerrard wasn't playing in the right because he was incompatible with ALonso, rather, because we had a weak right wing and only Gerrard could fulfill the position comfortably. We were minority thinking that and TBPH I don't remember your position on that thing.

So if you think it was some sort of dig to some post of a few months back, you were wrong. It was a dig to older posts than that.

Remind me to include the disclaimer next time
:;):

It was me Sabre....  :D

I was one of the folks who didn't think that we'd get the best out of both Alonso and Gerrard if played together as a central midfield pairing IF we didn't have proper outlets on the wings.

This thread is probably not the place to discuss this ad nauseuem though so I'll give a more detailed response in the Alonso thread.

:D
ConnO'var

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:23 am

Fair enough Conn!!
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion