We beat the chelsea - Good win lads

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redandblue » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:07 pm

A reality check would indeed be a good thing. I went to the match. Couldn't believe my ears..........some of our fans were actually chanting Houllier's name. Unbelievable. Yes, a great result, and we were due a bit of luck. We did well to hold on.

However, the basics don't change. Our track record against the teams who finished above us last year, with games played last season and this season (United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle) reads as follows;

Played 13
Won 2 (both against Chelsea)
Drawn 4
Lost 7.

10 points out of 39.

Don't intend to be a killjoy. Just let's keep a sense of perspective. Great result. Doesn't change the fact that we've got the wrong manager. Don't believe for a minute that we have turned a corner!!
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GERRYOBD » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:08 pm

We got a good rsult last night but it doesn't disguse the fact that we are having a poor seaon - we need to get a conssitent run going and win at United and Arsenal as well if I'm going to be convinced we can  have some sort of success this season.
GERRYOBD

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:26 pm

the most amazing thing for me was the fact that bruno cheyrou scored and played quite well, if he continues to play like that ill have a lot more respect for the player and ill agree with the decision gerard houlier made in buying him.
columbia

Postby simic_ie » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:53 pm

Good result agreed but I'm afraid the style in which it was obtained, while perfect for the night, will be over relied on for the rest of the season. The long ball counter attacking style won't work against teams who don't want to attack as much as Chelsea. Sure get 2-0 or 3-0 then defend the game, I don't really care how the games are won, but lets not fal back into old habits just because it bore fruits in one game. I 'm not saying eihter the mad attacking style of this season is  the way to go either. Just something between the two. When Carra and Finnan get back that will stablise the defense while Didi Hamman will give them cover. The rest of the player should be given licence to try and attack the opposition, with Finnan joining from full back
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion