Good time to beat chelsea? - Is maurinho a sore loser, a liar or both

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby simic_ie » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:28 pm

Not many.... Chelsea won't concede many, one maybe two if we play out of our skin. Don't think they will be the same going forward without Robben either so they might not score too many. But if they get the lead I think it's game over.... we've see twice this seasin what they're like
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KARMANI » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:12 pm

Hamann: Chelsea are under pressure
Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann believes the pressure is on Chelsea to live up to their billing as red-hot favourites in Sunday's Carling Cup final.

The Germany midfielder, who is still in discussions to extend his contract beyond the end of the season, is relishing his side's chance to upset the form and cause a shock at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

'It's probably not a bad thing to go in as underdogs with everyone expecting Chelsea to win,' he said.

Hamann wants a hat-trick of winners medals having been part of the 2001 win against Birmingham and in 2003 when Manchester United were beaten by the Anfield men.

The 31-year-old, recalled this week by Germany for next month's friendly with Slovenia, accepts this final will probably be the hardest for Liverpool to win considering Chelsea's dominance this season and the Reds' own erratic form.

But he is encouraged by previous performances against Mourinho's side, and Liverpool's win against Bayer Leverkusen this week

'We have shown that we can match them. We did it before losing 1-0 at Anfield on New Years Day and even at Stamford Bridge in October we didn't deserve to lose,' he added.

'We know we can match them but we also know that we must take our chances in Cardiff because their defence is so strong and we won't get many opportunities.

'But it probably makes it it a little bit easier for us because everybody expects Chelsea to win and the expectations for us certainly won't be as high as when we played Birmingham in the final a few years back.'

He added: 'If you go there for a cup final, you want to win it otherwise there is no point being there.

'This is great, it is what you play for, playing in finals is what you want to do. We are lucky enough to reach our fourth final in Cardiff in four years and it has been a lucky ground for us.'

Hamann, who also played in the FA Cup final win over Arsenal in 2001, wants to add to his fond memories of Cardiff. His only disappointment was missing a spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out against Birmingham, although Liverpool still triumphed.

'We have good memories from there, outstanding moments so hopefully it will happen again,' he added.

'It is an awesome place. I think it is one of the best if not the best I have ever played in. I do not think there are many better stadiums in the world than Cardiff.'

Hamburg have been linked with a move for Hamann but the midfielder is confident his future is at Anfield.

He added: 'We are still speaking and hopefully it will be done in due time and I hope it will be sorted out before the last period of the season. I want to stay and I have made that clear to the manager.'
KARMANI

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:33 pm

All I can say is..........................

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:35 pm

Has the feel of the 2003 Final when we played thre mancs and they were flying. On the day we produced a classic performance and triumphed.

No team is unbeatable and if we play to our strengths then there is no reason why we can't come out on top. 

Liverpool will need to be on top of their game from the off and I fancy us to win 1-0. :)

All i ask as a fan is they equip themselves well and compete. The rest will take care of itself

Walk on ...........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:40 am

I wonder if Mourinho would kill himself if he had all the injuries we have had. Hahahahaha.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby 84-1106852058 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:00 am

marklfc wrote:they do look shakey at the moment, i fancy us to win, id put a bet on it but my ticket and my coach ticket has crippled me financially

i wasnt expecting a ticket but i managed to get hold of one, they are like 'rocking horse sh1t'

Dont forget to tell all the locals when you get there that you hate the Welsh.
84-1106852058

Postby ronmeister » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:37 am

We are capable of beating any team if we play as a team.Lets hope SG dont get frustrated and try and turn it into a one man show like he seems to try and do a lot now.i predict 2-1 to liverpool risse getting the first and Le tallec scoring in the last ten mins when he comes on as a sub.dunno who will score for them
ronmeister

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:48 am

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/chelsea/story.jsp?story=614842

Foreigners vindicate devalued final
By Sam Wallace
25 February 2005

When Jose Mourinho and Rafael Benitez were dividing up the biggest prizes in Europe between them last season, they would hardly have considered that English football's least glamorous trophy would have such significance in their careers less than a year hence. The Carling Cup welcomes back football royalty tomorrow, when the maligned, often-ignored old silver pot will offer vindication for at least one highly decorated, expensive foreign coach.

To observe Jose Mourinho yesterday it was scarcely credible to think that the Chelsea coach will probably show more enthusiasm for the old English Football League Cup than he did for the biggest prize of all when it was presented to his Porto team in Gelsenkirchen in May. After the European Cup final he wrenched off his medal, stalked out of the stadium and began his long goodbye to Portuguese football.

Tomorrow, in the event of victory, Mourinho might wish to linger a little longer on the pitch. Not only will he be able to savour the end of a two-match losing streak but it will be an opportunity to deliver the first piece of silverware into the hands of Roman Abramovich in return for all that Russian gold he has paid out. That alone will be a moment of great significance for Chelsea's extraordinary benefactor.

It is not hard to imagine that when Abramovich bought his way into English football culture, beyond acceptance by his new country, days like tomorrow were exactly what he had in mind. Packed stadiums, grateful fans and Chelsea's ribbons on ancient English football trophies. Mourinho argued yesterday that this was a long-term project, but Abramovich's first trophy will be a source of relief for everyone at the club.

"Memories in football are short and people forget that other clubs did it as part of a process," Mourinho said. "People say Chelsea spent this amount of money but you speak about the space of two years, not a global process where a club has developed over many, many areas. We are not a club with a culture of winning like Arsenal, Manchester United, Juventus, AC Milan and Real Madrid - clubs with years of constructing a team.

"If you want to have a short memory or put pressure on Chelsea, just mention the amount of money spent over the last two years and demand more victories. If you want to be football people, and understand what football is, building a team and a club it is not like that. You can say what you want, but if Chelsea win the Premiership, the season will be historical and fantastic and a wonderful step for the future of the club."

It would take a brave man to explain to Abramovich that £250m of his oil fortune buys only a "global process" and not every major trophy in Europe. Winning a cup will also matter more to Frank Lampard who admitted yesterday that all he had ever won was an InterToto Cup with West Ham and a youth tournament with the same club, the name and date of which he could not recall. After the nature of their defeat to Barcelona, Mourinho needs a victory tomorrow more than he has at any point this season, although he argued hard to the contrary.

"Chelsea's players were never in such a good situation as they are at the moment," he said. "They are enjoying the situation. Everybody in this club understands that at this moment it is easier to win the Premiership than the Carling Cup. The Carling Cup is one game. If you win it, you get the trophy; if you lose, you don't. There are 11 games to play in the Premiership and we have eight points to control."

The only player Mourinho said that he could be missing from the match against Barcelona was his central defender William Gallas who is still struggling with a groin injury. He was unafraid of naming his team again, but he stopped short of detailing the entire Liverpool line-up other than suggesting that Benitez would have a difficult choice to make between playing Fernando Morientes alone or alongside Milan Baros.

For Benitez, the Carling Cup is something to be salvaged from the season rather than the adornment that it is likely to be for a Chelsea side with their sights set on greater objectives. When you consider the hail of criticism the Spanish coach was subjected to when he bravely shifted the FA Cup down his list priorities in January it would be perverse for the English football pubic to now tell him that victory in the Carling Cup was simply meaningless.

Benitez's problems endure despite the 3-1 victory over Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions' League on Tuesday night and yesterday he described his frustration at the speed of progress his Liverpool team had made. "We need to change and it is not easy," he said. "After two or three games you see the same mistakes and you know you still haven't solved it."

Yet his decision to place the pressure on Chelsea as favourites, and to identify Mourinho's half-time tactics as flawed, suggests that there is a great deal more to know about the patient, thoughtful Spanish coach whose introduction to English football has been as quiet as his opposite number's has been colourful. Mourinho's allegations that Liverpool had the easier route to the final are unlikely to trouble Benitez, who played a team of unknowns in the earlier rounds.

Both men have spent much of their first season in England reassuring their supporters that the future is safe with them, that they are capable of delivering two demanding football clubs success commensurate with their prestige.

"The day the club is not happy with me, the next day I will go," Mourinho said. "I am never under pressure." Benitez talked again of the long process of building a winning team.

When they judge the significance of the Carling Cup over the next day, both might like to consider the fate of Claudio Ranieri: Mourinho's predecessor and Benitez's successor at Valencia. Sacked for the second time in a year yesterday, he would have settled for the unfashionable fourth trophy of English football.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:02 am

thanks god this day's over
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:52 am

I think Liverpool are a better side than when we last met (especially since the arrival of Morientes) and Chelsea are weaker (since the injury to Robben). I thought Liverpool were the better team when they played last, so I think Liverpool has a very good chance to win in Cardiff. Add the fact that we are on a high after Tuesday's win, and Chelsea are wobbling, I would say betting on Liverpool would be a banker. Put the house on it! (besides, whenever Liverpool were the underdogs, they nearly always came through).

NO DOUBT

Walk On....
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:22 pm

The Red Baron wrote:
marklfc wrote:they do look shakey at the moment, i fancy us to win, id put a bet on it but my ticket and my coach ticket has crippled me financially

i wasnt expecting a ticket but i managed to get hold of one, they are like 'rocking horse sh1t'

Dont forget to tell all the locals when you get there that you hate the Welsh.

:laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:48 pm

Tactical masters fight for glory
By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Mourinho won the Champions League with Porto while Benitez was a Uefa Cup winner with Valencia, but their attention this Sunday will be locked on the Carling Cup final in Cardiff.

Both men decided to seek pastures new after European glory, with Mourinho leaving Porto immediately after their win against Monaco to join Chelsea and Benitez agreeing to replace Gerard Houllier at Liverpool.

One will land his first English trophy on Sunday - but what drives these meticulous men?

MEDIOCRE PLAYING CAREERS

RAFAEL BENITEZ:
Benitez was actually on Real Madrid's books as a player. He joined as a youngster and stayed seven years without getting a first team game.

He moved to third division side Parla, helping them to promotion in 1983. After joining Segunda B side Linares, he spent a lengthy spell on the sidelines before returning to Real as a coach in 1986.

JOSE MOURINHO:
A reserve team defender or midfielder, he never played professionally, but football was in his blood as the son of famous Portugal goalkeeper Felix Mourinho.

He was in the shadow squad when his father was coach at unfashionable Portuguese First Division side Rio Ave, where as a teenager he acted as unofficial scout.

Mourinho completed a Uefa coaching course in 1987 and then took low-profile coaching positions at Portuguese clubs Estrela Amadora

COACHING CREDENTIALS

RAFAEL BENITEZ:
Benitez worked at Real Madrid from 1989 to 1995, winning the league with the youth and B teams before assisting manager Vicente del Bosque.

He took his first top job in charge of Real Vallodolid, but was sacked after only 23 games with the team bottom of the league. He then only won one game out of nine at Osasuna before showing his true potential at Extremedura in 1997.

He won the second division title at his first attempt, but they were relegated after only one season.

Benitez then took a sabbatical to study coaching methods before leading Tenerife to the second division crown in 2001.

He was so impressive that he was named as the surprise successor to Hector Cuper at Valencia.

Valencia's fans were unimpressed with the appointment, but he silenced the doubters with the club's first La Liga title in 31 years.

He repeated the feat in 2004 - and added the Uefa Cup for good measure to attract Liverpool's attention.

JOSE MOURINHO:
Mourinho's mentor was Sir Bobby Robson - accepting a job as his translator in 1992 before taking on the role of assistant coach.

He was at Porto with Robson between 1994 and 1996, winning two titles before joining him at Barcelona two years later, helping him win the European Cup Winners' Cup.

Mourinho remained at the Nou Camp under Louis van Gaal, before taking over as Benfica coach in 2000 - lasting only nine games before resigning because of boardroom problems.

He then guided little-known Uniao de Leiria to the top five of the Portuguese league before taking over at Porto in January 2002.

In his first full season in charge he delivered the league, cup and Uefa Cup, beating Celtic in the final.

The next season it was Champions League glory - and he was on the road to Chelsea.

TOP TACTICS?

RAFAEL BENITEZ:
Benitez demands a high-tempo attacking style that has been welcomed by Liverpool fans - it was a method that clinched his appointment.

When consulted about potential successors to Houllier, Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher all name-checked Valencia as the best team they had played in years.

He is prepared to rotate his squad, sometimes using one man up front, but the occasionally bizarre team selection - namely in the defeat at Burnley in the FA Cup - has undermined his first season.

JOSE MOURINHO:
Mourinho's teams are built around solid defence, with Porto employing a counter-attacking style.

Chelsea are miserly in defence, but Mourinho is more than happy to employ flair, as he did when he had both Damien Duff and Arjen Robben fit and firing.

Not big on rotation, he announced: "I hate big squads. I want 21 outfield players plus goalkeepers. I work with small squads for very specific work."

First priority is not to concede - and Chelsea rarely concede

PERSONALITY

RAFAEL BENITEZ:
Smiling, charming Spaniard who once described himself as a "loner with a laptop" because of the time he spent alone master-minding tactics on his computer.

Admits he studies tactics and plots games at 4am and is obsessive about his football.

Mild-mannered, but has a ruthless streak as he showed over the sale of Michael Owen and also a calculated public attack on his players after their defeat at Birmingham.

Steely and determined, he left Valencia in tears after becoming dissatisfied with behind-the-scenes politics.

He also expressed his dissatisfaction over the club's failure to strengthen Valencia's squad with players he recommended.

Benitez reportedly said: "I asked for a table and they bought me a lamp."

Charming - but not to be trifled with

JOSE MOURINHO:
Outspoken, blunt, charismatic, ruthless. A breath of fresh air in the Premiership.

Pursued his coaching ambitions with fierce desire, and was single-minded enough to leave Porto in the wake of their Champions League success.

He said: "It was a wonderful story, but the story has to end."

Like Benitez, he is a devoted family man, but is consumed by seeking success at Chelsea.

Respected at all levels, Sir Alex Ferguson is an admirer and Scunthorpe manager Brian Laws said Mourinho ensured they were "treated like kings" when they visited Stamford Bridge for an FA Cup tie this season.

Mourinho even presented Laws with his meticulously-prepared scouting report on Scunthorpe.

THEIR KEY MEN

Chelsea will look to inspirational captain John Terry to remove the threat of Liverpool's brilliant new Spanish striker Fernando Morientes - but it will be a midfield duel that could decide this final.

And, more specifically, the battle between England pair Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard.

Gerrard is the driving force and icon for Liverpool - now arguably above Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira and Lampard as the Premiership's finest midfield operator.

He possesses a brilliant range of passing, now scoring the goals he should and is a natural leader.

Lampard, however, has performed magnificently for Chelsea this season and will relish the battle.

He is also now a regular goalscorer and has flourished among the multi-million pound Chelsea imports.

VERDICT

Two outstanding additions to the Premiership managerial roster.

They will make the Carling Cup final a battle of tactics and wits as two of Europe's most successful coaches look to add another honour to their list.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eazy-E » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:16 pm

Remember when Arsenal were the greatest last year. They got knocked out of the FA Cup by Man U. Then lost in the Champion's League to Chelsea. Then came Friday and who were they playing...Liverpool. Everybody said Arsenal were in crisis and they whooped us 4-2. Chelsea are in a similar situation going into the Final (gulp). :p
''I kick :censored: and i take names. You're in my pocket. Shut your mouth. Rest your gums. I own you bitch.''
Eazy-E

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:19 pm

That was then and this is now.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:19 pm

policy wrote:I wonder if Mourinho would kill himself if he had all the injuries we have had. Hahahahaha.

.. na he'd just go out and buy a whole new team ..  "Romaaaan  i need £140 milllllion "   :D
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion