Liverpool Vs Chelsea Sun April 21st KO 4PM

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Dalglish » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Was looking forward to commenting on today's game until I left Anfield and the media storm struck !

A cracking game and one of the moments of the season scoring the equaliser in the last second ! The KOP went absolutely banana's and why wouldn't they after dealing a serious blow to Chelsea's ambitions for the CL next season.

We started well enough but had little penetration. Chelsea came back into it as the game progressed and scored a soft goal on 25mins I was too busy worrying and watching as Henderson marked David Luis from the corner. So was everyone else by the looks of it as Oscar snook in at the near post and nodded it in.

After that Liverpool were very poor and concede possession all too easily and I was hoping to get in at HT just 0-1 down and not more as Chelsea threatened.

The second half saw the introduction of Sturridge and his impact was immediate. We looked a lot more threatening and were unlucky not to draw level earlier than we did. The lead up to his goal was brilliant and we were rocking and looking to push on and win the game only for Suarez to inexplicably handle in the box and concede the clearest penalty you are likely to see all season.

6 mins of added time was justified given the 5 subs, a couple of injuries and Chavski's persistent time wasting and feigning injury. It looked to be about to boil over which may explain why Brendan sent on Psycho Shelvey but only he will know how he didn't get his big chance on target from 4 yards out !

Just as we thought time had ran out up pops Luis Suarez to score with his head and earn LFC a deserved draw

We await the inevitable Sh*t storm from the media and punishment from the FA. Tonight Luis Suarez has apologised and the club have issued a clear and unequivocal statement condemning his actions. Its a start but I fear it's a long way off the end of this matter

Walk on ...............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Problem is we will have no right to say anything about any player from any other clubs being a **** and a disgrace etc in the future.
Some fans whine and blow the trumpet how important the Liverpool way is and how great club is they way everyone associated with the club conduct itself.
And to(rightfully so until now) call Ronaldo and Bale diving cheating arrogant **** who give football a bad name.
Welll, forget about sitting on that high horse in the future if you think what Suarez did  is nothing really and he should be a big part of the club anyway.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Penguins » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 pm wrote:Problem is we will have no right to say anything about any player from any other clubs being a **** and a disgrace etc in the future.
Some fans whine and blow the trumpet how important the Liverpool way is and how great club is they way everyone associated with the club conduct itself.
And to(rightfully so until now) call Ronaldo and Bale diving cheating arrogant **** who give football a bad name.
Welll, forget about sitting on that high horse in the future if you think what Suarez did  is nothing really and he should be a big part of the club anyway.

Spot on Mate. Same posters who would stir up a shyte storm whenever any of the Cheatski's (drogba pops to mind) Manure players act up are the same ones granting Luis total immunity for his actions.

One just needs to go a little back and remember Fowler's fair play but who give's a fck anymore right? Made me sad watching Carra continue play although One of Chelsea's defender was on the ground after being tackled by Sturridge ,but who give's a fck right? It's not about what the media thinks or what other team fans thinks is about what is right and what is fair ,but who gives a fck anymore right? CL baby it's all that matters.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 pm

thought we started both halves with good momentum and a draw was a fair result.
the lack of physicality defending set pieces is comical and needs to be addressed in the summer.
i was also surprised to see coutinho subbed and thought it should have been someone else. henderson for all his athleticism lacks penetration and doesnt make enough runs into the box. didnt think lucas played that well either and he deserted the near post when oscar scored.
sturridge was excellent when he came on and the combination of himself and suarez which produced two excellent goals from some sublime link up play. fans should be excited that we finally have a front line that can produce and make us compete. these two can be the best strikers in the league next season and the difference between us making 4th so its important that partnership remains intact.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 am

Couldn't/wouldn't have begrudged Rafa's team 3 pts. I thought we huffed and puffed a bit as usual and our first half display mirrored our position in the league - average.

Sturridge made an immediate impact in the 2nd half and the build-up to his goal was excellent, then unfortunately for us we hand the momentum we had straight back to Chelsea with a soft penalty with Suarez being the culprit of this. We then reverted to type and huffed and puffed. Typical Rafa team, Chelsea were happy to keep us at bay and exploit us on the break and when you have one of the worst midfields in the top half of the table you can get exploited and you do huff and puff, fortunately for us Suarez popped up with the equalizer.

We're on the verge of regressing back to mid-table mediocracy as opposed to progressing to any kind of notion of top for status.  :(

As for the other incident, I didn't see a thing.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:53 am

Kenny Kan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:30 am wrote:Couldn't/wouldn't have begrudged Rafa's team 3 pts. I thought we huffed and puffed a bit as usual and our first half display mirrored our position in the league - average.

Sturridge made an immediate impact in the 2nd half and the build-up to his goal was excellent, then unfortunately for us we hand the momentum we had straight back to Chelsea with a soft penalty with Suarez being the culprit of this. We then reverted to type and huffed and puffed. Typical Rafa team, Chelsea were happy to keep us at bay and exploit us on the break and when you have one of the worst midfields in the top half of the table you can get exploited and you do huff and puff, fortunately for us Suarez popped up with the equalizer.

We're on the verge of regressing back to mid-table mediocracy as opposed to progressing to any kind of notion of top for status.  :(

As for the other incident, I didn't see a thing.
I think Suarez was just being affectionate
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

Lucas is having a pretty bad spell of games as of late. If he can't replicate his pre-injury form he is no Liverpool material. His opening years were terrible and we can't afford for our DM to play at this low level.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Biting aside, the one thing that was highlighted again in this game, that has been the case all season is our diabolical corners, and our defending of corners.

When we win a corner, I am more worried about the opposite side breaking away and scoring.  Our delivery is woeful, and I cannot remember the last time we even looked like scoring from one.  It is such a big part of the game now that if we never score from one, and consistently concede it is going to really hurt us.

This HAS to be addressed both in terms of personnel and tactics/execution.
mkingdom

Postby supersub » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm

I would like Brendan to explain why we need Suarez and Coutinho back to defend corners
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Since it looks more and more likely that Spurs are going to push for another year of CL football and we have nothing to play for, my only hope was to drag Chelsea down with us and give Tottenham a hand. Not that I like Spurs, but it would be lovely to see the likes of Mata, Hazzard and especially Torres not playing in the Champions League for a full season. I would feel bad about Rafa but he's getting the sack anyway.

As for the game it self, I thought that we deserved a draw, but Chelsea should consider themselves unlucky because we scored at a time that shouldn't have been given to us. The 6 minutes were rightfully given, but the game should have ended once those 6 minutes were out. We scored 30 or 40 seconds after that. But it feels nice to score in Fergie time for once.

Although in overall I think we played OK, we played some bad football as well. Henderson, Downing and Johnson were mostly responsible for that, though most of the others weren't far off. The goals that we conceded were as soft as they get and I won't bother commenting on them. As for our goals, we might have been a bit lucky with the second one, but the first one was pure genius.

All in all, I'm happy that we've made the finish for Chelsea more difficult. A win would have been better, of course, but a draw was the most we deserved.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:21 pm

only me » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm wrote:
Penguins » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 pm wrote:Problem is we will have no right to say anything about any player from any other clubs being a **** and a disgrace etc in the future.

Spot on Mate. Same posters who would stir up a shyte storm whenever any of the Cheatski's (drogba pops to mind) Manure players act up are the same ones granting Luis total immunity for his actions.

One just needs to go a little back and remember Fowler's fair play but who give's a fck anymore right? Made me sad watching Carra continue play although One of Chelsea's defender was on the ground after being tackled by Sturridge ,but who give's a fck right? It's not about what the media thinks or what other team fans thinks is about what is right and what is fair ,but who gives a fck anymore right? CL baby it's all that matters.
a little harsh.

Most uproar in here comes from incidents where liverpool players are the recipients of career limiting challenges.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games