I'm sick off all this "because he's english" - Bull***t from foreigners...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:38 pm

Rooney can be the greatest thing since Gazza and go on to be a World great, but he has to prove himself first and cant keeping living off his goal v. Arsenal and Euro 2004 performances. What about Alan Shearer? He's scored more goals than I can remember, could Rooney even get close to his golascoring record?
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:45 pm

well you dont remember the likes of lineker, greavsie etc etc.

to prove yerself, you need time. think about it
106-1093504160

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:35 pm

Don't bite my head off A.B but I think you are completely wrong about Rooney.

He's a fantastic player, probably the best I have seen at his age, and I would add Christiano Ronaldo to that.

Rooney has a long way to go and he could mess things up, but the kid is sensational.

As for not being worth 30m, much of that transfer fee is performance related so if Everton do get 30m, it will be because Rooney has earned it.

Also, Man UTD's marketing income alone from Wayne Rooney over the next 2 or 3 years will easily cover that 30m.

I don't like Man UTD but signing Christiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney were master strokes by Alex Ferguson. Ronaldo's performance against Russia last week for Portugal was absolutely top bracket stuff.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:04 pm

Back to Stu's original point.

Its not rascist to say that English players are over priced in the Premiership. Its a known fact. Chelsea had an official 20m bid turned down for Ledley King, then paid 100grand less for a Carvaleho, probably the best defender in the word last season.

The money Southampton are demanding for James Beattie is crazy. The reason why hardly anybody signs English players from lower league sides is because its cheaper to buy foreign. Its a known fact for the past 8 or 9 years.

However, its the same in Italy and Spain, indeed probably worse in Italy, where up to a couple of years ago the fact that you had Italian caps vastly inflated your transfer value.

Proof of the pudding was the scandelous amounts of money paid by Italian clubs for the likes of Buffon, Inzaghi, Fiore, Nesta, Lentini, Baggio, Vialli etc etc etc. All of the above were good players (most were and are excellent) but being a home player playing in your home domestic league inflates your transfer value as the media and fan hype can go overboard.

I don't really understand your point Stu when it flies in the face of what almost every Premiership managers have said for the past 6 or 7 years.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:10 pm

Ledley King 20 million? Sounds like a bargain eh banana:D :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:12 pm

I like Ledley King as a player and if we could afford him I'd be all in favour of signing him, but both Chelsea and Spurs confirmed that there was a 20m transfer fee on the table for him in the summer, yet Spurs said "not enough".
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:13 pm

This thread was a load of bollox in the first place jbg,but as usual,your comments ring true.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:18 pm

i dont like rooney.. but he can play
if he was swiss he wouldnt be worth as much
if he was swiss he wouldnt have as much media coverage.
its just about media, not geography
and maybe he will be the next gazza, but so far hes just the new kid in town until someone younger comes along, and someone always comes along whos better
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:22 pm

greenred wrote:This thread was a load of bollox in the first place jbg,but as usual,your comments ring true.

And Stu calls everone else dumb!

His point doesn't make sense when anyone in the game will acknowledge that domestic players are overpriced.

Another example: Bayern Munich paid around 8.5m for Torsten Frings this summer, and rumour has it that Cassano of Roma will be auctioned off for around 30million plus.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:32 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:And Stu calls everone else dumb!

His point doesn't make sense when anyone in the game will acknowledge that domestic players are overpriced.

Another example: Bayern Munich paid around 8.5m for Torsten Frings this summer, and rumour has it that Cassano of Roma will be auctioned off for around 30million plus.

Its a pity really,cos a lot of young english(and british)players are being priced out of the market by OTT valuations.Good young players are missing out on CL football because the top clubs prefer to buy an established Spaniard or Frenchman at half the price.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:46 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:that Cassano of Roma will be auctioned off for around 30million plus.

that is ridiculous, he is young with a lot of talent but only worth half that much and no more (was that euros or pounds JBG?)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:20 pm

at the end of the day, rooney hasn't proved himself yet at a big club, he needs to be consistent, week in week out, until he does that at a big club, then all it is is potential, he has it, but now he has to prove it, i dont care who he played or plays for, he has potential

I agree with stu, about josemi, he isn't going to be world class, but i reckon hes good enough for us, you dont have to have 11 world class players to win the league anyway
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:24 pm

mrcool2003 wrote:at the end of the day...

... it goes dark.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion