Only five foreigners - Lennart johansson

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:25 pm

stupid rule. Maybe only 5 non EU players, but classing Bellamy as forigen is ridiculous
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:28 pm

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:stupid rule. Maybe only 5 non EU players, but classing Bellamy as forigen is ridiculous

:D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BLANDY » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:37 pm

JUST WANNA SAY I KNOW EVERYBODY SLAGS ALLLARDYCE OFF BUT GOTTA BE THAN McCLAREN ?
BLANDY

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:48 pm

BLANDY wrote:JUST WANNA SAY I KNOW EVERYBODY SLAGS ALLLARDYCE OFF BUT GOTTA BE THAN McCLAREN ?

Whats that got to do with the thread ?  ???

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:24 pm

All you 35 and overs may remember this happened a few years ago with the foriegn players rule, but at the time the rule did not include british players as foreign. So should it ever happen (although i can't see it) Bellemy would be exempt.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Thats b0llock, us underachiving at the world cup is Erikson's fault, the lack of strikers we took is nothing to do with the amount of foreigners in the Premiership, our side was well capable of winning that tounament!!! :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:01 pm

It's way too late to start bringing in limits on foreigners, some clubs have far too many already. I'd certainly tighten up on the number of ordinary foreign players, permit just the classy players in to the top divisions
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:32 pm

I don't remember how long ago it was, but I remember reading an article about Fifa implementing a " 5 home grown players must be in every line up during champions league play" to apply appropriate representation at the top level for cities, then it was going to be raised to 8 players after 2 years, this would be a good rule to apply to all leagues. Really shows who the best footballing town is. Only having 5 foreign players allowed would be an absolute disaster roster wise in europe and doubt they could implement that without it being a long ugly process.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:29 pm

England have only ever beaten Cameroon in a quarter final of the world cup on foreign soil. My point is that England have never been great and never will be unless the english players go to play in foreign leagues.

The premiership is fast and furious and very different to how the game is played elsewhere.

Also, the foreigner rule is illegal. You could say only 1 or 2 non EU players allowed. All talk about english or british is pointless as it is against the whole point of the EU to discriminate within it.

Plus there were few foreigners in the English leagues in teh 1970s and England were terrible then. The foreigners have been good for the game.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:51 pm

Big Niall wrote:England have only ever beaten Cameroon in a quarter final of the world cup on foreign soil. My point is that England have never been great and never will be unless the english players go to play in foreign leagues.

The premiership is fast and furious and very different to how the game is played elsewhere.

Also, the foreigner rule is illegal. You could say only 1 or 2 non EU players allowed. All talk about english or british is pointless as it is against the whole point of the EU to discriminate within it.

Plus there were few foreigners in the English leagues in teh 1970s and England were terrible then. The foreigners have been good for the game.

If we are to belive that the lack of English players playing in other leagues are the cause of our world cup faliure then how do you explain Italy winning the world cup?

How many of there key players play outside Italy?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:56 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Big Niall wrote:England have only ever beaten Cameroon in a quarter final of the world cup on foreign soil. My point is that England have never been great and never will be unless the english players go to play in foreign leagues.

If we are to belive that the lack of English players playing in other leagues are the cause of our world cup faliure then how do you explain Italy winning the world cup?

Italy's top league Seria A is a very techincally gifted league where techincal attributes and a high level of intelligence is required. It's not a one trick pony league like the Premiership.
48-1119859832

Postby FrankM » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:26 pm

ConnO'var wrote:This probably won't be very popular but he may have a point.

I agree with everyone else in that the primary reason for us being out of the WC is the bleeding idiot Eriksson...

But Johanssen's point has some truth to it IMO. Look at our starting eleven.

Goalkeeper -   Paul Robinson. Good, steady but not world class IMO. Best GKs in the premiership are all foreigners. Cech, Reina, Lehmann, Van der Saar. And I don't see a world class talent on the horizon.

Right Back  -   Gary Neville?? I don't think that anyone in their right mind will have the nuts to say that this idiot's world class. Who do we have in reserve or coming through the ranks. Luke Young. Once again steady but nowhere near world class.

Centrebacks - Ferdinand and Terry. Even though I hate him, I have to admit that Rio is world class even though he is prone to stupid errors. Terry is very very good but not quite world class. Waiting in the wings... Carra is excellent too but who else do we have coming through? Anton's not gonna be quite as good as his brother. I would say that this is one of the few positions where Englishmen can be safely said to be the best players in the position in the Premiership.

Left-back. Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge. Good, steady but hardly the best in the premiership. Heinze is tops for me closely followed by Gallas.

Wingers - Forget about it.... no englishmen even comes close. Best in class are Duff, Robben, Faggot Ronaldo, Ljungberg etc etc.

Central Midfield - Gerrard is our only world class talent. Fat Frank? No fooking chance. Fleet street has overhyped him so many people out there think he's the bees knees but IMO he's good at best. Alonso, Fabregas, Makelele, Essien are tops in the prem.

Strikers - Shrek? I know a lot of people rate him but world class? Not in my book.... he's too dumb. Owen? Crouch? The great hope Walcott? All of them simply don't cut it for me with the exception of Theo who is still unproven.... These guys cannot hold a candle to the Henrys, Van Persies, Drogbas and Crespos in my book.

Look at it this way, how many of our squad would get into a world XI right now? If you take Gerrard out of the equation...

The answer is a big, fat NADA, zilch, zero.

Anyone exciting coming on the horizon?  See answer above. All the academies of the top english squads are inundated with foreign youngsters... ours included.

So I do see Johanssen's point.

However, I don't agree with him in restricting 5 foreigners per club only. Smacks of xenophobia and protectionism to me. The premiership is more exciting to watch when the best players available are playing.

The root cause of the demise of world class english players is not the influx of foreign talent.
I believe the blame should be placed on the foot of the FA's door due to poor training, backward coaching techniques, naive tactical methods and the junior level. We need to upgrade these if we are gonna develop world class talents in the future.

Oh.... and a disclaimer here before all on the forum rip into me....   All names mentioned above do not mean that they are players I support. Just acknowledging their talents.

:p :p

This is a contradictory post. In your second line you conclude that Sven is the reason for England going out, but in the remainder of your post you outline the real reason. The players were not good enough!
FrankM

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:36 pm

0asis wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

Italy's top league Seria A is a very techincally gifted league where techincal attributes and a high level of intelligence is required. It's not a one trick pony league like the Premiership.

Juventus were so technically superior to Arsenal last season weren't they  :no
The premiership pisses all over serie A now, Juve comfortably won there leage 2 years running and ourselves and Arsenal put paid to them.....Arsenal took the p!ss out of them when they met.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:05 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
0asis wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

Juventus were so technically superior to Arsenal last season weren't they  :no
The premiership pisses all over serie A now, Juve comfortably won there leage 2 years running and ourselves and Arsenal put paid to them.....Arsenal took the p!ss out of them when they met.

Erm, Arsenal and Liverpool are pretty much filled with techincally gifted foriegn players, you complete idiot.  :D

If Seria A is so bad then how comes Italy have won the World Cup and England can't even get past the QF stage?
48-1119859832

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:28 pm

A) you were talking about the leagues specifically so the fact that Premiership sides beat them was relevant.
B) The side we put out against Juventus might of had plenty of foreigners but it also included Carragher Gerrard Crouch 3 England players.
Italy won the world cup, so what it does not mean that Serie A is suddenly better than the Premiership.
If you disagree i think recent stats on Anglo-Italian Champions league matches would prove you wrong.
Didnt the mighty Middlesbrough also knock out Roma in the Uefa cup last season ?

England were again knocked out in the quarters because of the managers inept tactics and the teams he put out, but thats another matter.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion