Lucas + spearing - Best cm partnership?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mart » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:40 am

I'm not a fan of spearing, but if our only other option is to put Adam there he might be our best choice atm. I dont like to see Gerrard in that position as he tends to drop so deep when he plays there. We need him further up the pitch.

The other option is to use Henderson there. He hasnt exactly impressed anyone yet but he is young and can improve. I think he is more suited to a central role instead of beeing pushed out wide.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

F'uck it, let's just forget that we once had Alonso and Mascherano running our midfield.

Okay Woof, would you rather we just mull over those players instead of looking forward?

It's a bit negative mate, there's f*** all we can do about it and to be fair I wouldn't say either Lucas or Spearing have let us down recently. Granted they are nowhere near as good as Masch and Xabi but while we're at it we may also want to mull over the fact John Barnes has never been replaced and that our standards have dropped significantly - this can get excessive and nostalgic for all the wrong reasons.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Sometimes people forget that a midfield isn't necessarily always about how good each player individually can be but how well they work together.  Lucas and Spearing aren't as good as Alonso and Masch as invididuals but together they can and have outplayed some very good midfield partnerships.
Zidane

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:
F'uck it, let's just forget that we once had Alonso and Mascherano running our midfield.

Okay Woof, would you rather we just mull over those players instead of looking forward?

It's a bit negative mate, there's f*** all we can do about it and to be fair I wouldn't say either Lucas or Spearing have let us down recently. Granted they are nowhere near as good as Masch and Xabi but while we're at it we may also want to mull over the fact John Barnes has never been replaced and that our standards have dropped significantly - this can get excessive and nostalgic for all the wrong reasons.

No mate, I'm not just mulling over the great midfields we've had over the years but neither will I just dismiss the fact that a quality midfield has always been a signature of our club.

My comment was prompted by the enthusiasm with which some seem to embrace the idea of a midfield partnership of Spearing and Lucas.

I don't have a problem with Lucas being considered as a first choice as part of our midfield but to choose (settle for) Spearing as another first choice just has me scratching my head. As much as the munchkin has put in some half decent performances there's no real quality in his game and a pairing of him and Lucas offers imo absolutely no invention.

Honestly I'd rather Kenny went 4-4-2 and have Gerrard/Lucas as our CM's.

Appreciate with Gerrard now sidelined again that currently is not an option, but until it is I'd persevere with Adam/Lucas.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion