Partnership up front

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:01 am

There's one thing that worries me this year and thats the players up front. At the begining we have all said that it will take time for Baros and Cisse to gell and I agree however I get the feeling that Baros and Cisse won't be playing a lot up front together. We've see mostly Garcia-Baros or Garcia-Cisse up front and I personaly think that is not good enough.

Luis Garcia is a good player and he's more effective when he's in the midfield feeding the forwards. I think Baros and Cisse could make a good team but considering that they haven't played together up front a lot so far I doubt that will happen which worries me. Baros and Cisse could be briliant up front, they're both good players but they need time to gell with each other which at the moment isn't going to happen.

Post your opinion on this matter.
Last edited by A.B. on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:07 am

4-5-1

Garcia in behind either Cisse or Baros, as an attacking midfielder type of player.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:34 am

Whatever happens A.B., and this is a really early speculative call, I don't think Baros and Cisse is a partnership. Cisse, in my view needs someone who can slip him in at the side of defenders with a steered ten yard through ball or even a deflected nudge. Don't laugh, but a Zidane playing just behind him or for older posters a Dalglish (no problem with the same breath there you notice) or even a Beardsley or Bergkamp would do the trick. Garcia could be the boy but he needs to find a whole lot more resiliance in posession to prevent his undoubted talents descending into the luxury player bracket.
Baros, very much like Cisse is not a classic 'partnership' striker in my opinion. Not posessing the pace of Cisse but being much better at ball retention, he would probably benefit from having someone playing off him as well. In his case however it would probably need to be someone who represents more of a goal threat themselves and a similar head-down up and at 'em approach. Mutu or Silvain Wiltord, not the best examples I know but its early.
Together though, no it doesn't work for me. I daren't call Baros greedy or Jim will come down and bash me up, but his adhesiveness where the ball is concerned is not the thing for Cisse at all. He wants it like yesterday otherwise he'll be offside. Similarly, Cisse's supermodel pout and Sunday morning kickabout workrate do Baros no favours as defenders can pass him on and get a breather. One of 'ems probably got to go, and it's probably got to be baros as we'd get more money for him I think.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:49 am

I agree Mick, I do not see Baros and Cisse working together.

AB, just cus they are both good players does not mean they will play well together, just look at Fowler and Owen, they never formed a truly good partnership as they where too alike, just as Cisse and Baros are.

I think Rafa knows this, and this is why Luis has been employed in tandem with both of them in order to get a different type of forward player with them.

I think Rafa will be making a purchase in the transfer window, and it will be a striker. Possibly a bigger target man type, or a really good hold up and ball playing type.

Cisse and Baros cannot hold the ball up and bring the midfielders into play, we need someone who can do this, and Garcia is the man right now. I do think he will be employed in midfield though once we get a striker to compliment Cisse and Milan.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:46 pm

Leon, Baros can hold the ball up brilliantly, thats what pisses me off. His ability to then bring someone else into play or play a quality passes from holding the ball is none existant. When the ball goes forward to Baros he makes it stick, the problem is its sticks untill it goes out of play or its in the back of the net. :D
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49 pm

i agree with all that cisse and baros probably wont work as a partnership, but id like to see it tried a couple fo tiems just to see. Pity that we didnt have litmanen in his prime still.
the jauary transfer window will be interesting tho as i dont know who we will go for, but it will be someone good
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:55 pm

Sorry. Who are our strikers again? How many have we got?
gabbyh

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:59 pm

Mick your spot on Baros and Cisse can't play together. Cisse needs to stay and change baros, i ain't scared of this jim bloke, he is too gready! Let Barca or anyone for that matter have him and lets get some substance up front with cisse. I think a real workhorse of a striker in the Sutton, Smith, Shearer mould. Not actually them though.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:01 pm

Agree Ant
YOu can see the benefits of Cisse and Baros but sometimes players just dont gel

Who would you rather have as the main guy I suppose is the next question for me its Cisse
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:03 pm

I thought we had beaten this topic to death last week !!  Is there a database of old posts, this one has been analysed from every angle, inside, out and roundabout !!.
Is this resurfacing because we have nack' all else to talk about in International Week ?
If we carry on like this it will begin to make even Dom 1 and Dawson Posts look interesting !! :laugh:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:06 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Leon, Baros can hold the ball up brilliantly, thats what pisses me off. His ability to then bring someone else into play or play a quality passes from holding the ball is none existant. When the ball goes forward to Baros he makes it stick, the problem is its sticks untill it goes out of play or its in the back of the net. :D

Stu that is not holding the ball up, that is a waste of time lad.

Holding the ball up and making it stick are fundementally different.

You want the ball to be held up, to bring your attackers and midfielders into play when you are tyring to score, or chasing a game.

You want the ball to stick when you are defending a one goal lead and dont want to concede, and you are coming under pressure.

Milan would be great as a release when we are defending a one nil lead in the 99th minute at old trafford, but he is no good and holding the ball up and bringing the rest of the lads into play when you need someone to "do it".

I see real raw potential in Milan, but he is simply beleiving his own press if he thinks he is good enough to warrant a big money move to the Camp Nou.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion