Liverpool vs WBA  - Sat 22nd Oct - KO: 17:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redshade » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:38 pm

After our tough start to the season we will be now facing teams that we should be beating. Our next 7 fixtures or so we should be winning. Next "big match" is against Everton  towards end of Dec.

I would want same Def set up.
Im sure Lallana will be back for this one. If Wijnaldum isn't fit then Can will take his place.

Hendo
Lallana    Wijunaldum(Can)

Mane         Coutinho
      Firmino

We must get a 2-0 lead to be sure of 3 points. Tony pulis is a very good draw merchant. He will park the bus and try to do what Mourinho did.
They recently gave spurs a very good game, almost won it.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Imo the next 8 weeks will define our season, we'll get to find out if we are going to be top four challengers, title challengers, or neither. By the time that Everton game comes around in December we could easily be 6 points clear at the top of the table and the great thing is that we don't have to do anything miraculous to put ourselves in that position either, we've already done all the hard work in the first 8 games, all we have to do now is beat teams that we are expected to beat.
We go into every one of the next 7 games as clear favourites to win, we don't need to beat Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, we don't need to overturn unsurmountable odds, we just need to beat teams we should be beating.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:08 pm

I look at the league and the likes of City, Arsenal and Spurs and it's just so tight. Even though we have the ability to win the next run of games, the other teams are also capable of doing it so we need to worry about not dropping points so that we don't drop off the pace and keep in touch let alone move ahead of the chasing pack.

With that un mind, these kind of games are must wins and whether it is 4-0 or a scrappy 1-0, it doesnt really matter, it's all about the 3 points.

I think we will be too much for WBA in the end and see a win 2-0 but we have to go out there and perform like we did against Chelsea. Just no let up in this league and even a slight drop in performance levels can cost you. Can see Klopp keeping everyone on their toes though and not tolerating inconsistency.
Doeboy

Postby parchpea » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Klopp has brought up the elephant in the room, set pieces again, tall players, its becoming a familiar theme, I think he is genuinely scared of that side of the game. In a split second his beautiful heavy metal theatre crushed by a hammer from above, bang.

We may well destroy WBA tomorrow, but if we dont and are undone by brute force the criticism will remain, are we physically strong and hard enough to deal with this type of team? And more to the point what will Klopp do about it longer term?

On MNF he laughed about about making his players taller, but I feel there was a truth in the words, an itch on his head that he may at some point have to compromise his principles to make Liverpool the complete Premiership team, the ultimate English machine with a solution to every question.

For now its the Klopp way and we want that to work, but I firmly believe the best managers are flexible and he may need to be to bring success to Liverpool.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:41 pm

parchpea » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:33 pm wrote:Klopp has brought up the elephant in the room, set pieces again, tall players, its becoming a familiar theme, I think he is genuinely scared of that side of the game. In a split second his beautiful heavy metal theatre crushed by a hammer from above, bang.

We may well destroy WBA tomorrow, but if we dont and are undone by brute force the criticism will remain, are we physically strong and hard enough to deal with this type of team? And more to the point what will Klopp do about it longer term?

On MNF he laughed about about making his players taller, but I feel there was a truth in the words, an itch on his head that he may at some point have to compromise his principles to make Liverpool the complete Premiership team, the ultimate English machine with a solution to every question.

For now its the Klopp way and we want that to work, but I firmly believe the best managers are flexible and he may need to be to bring success to Liverpool.

To be fair Matip and Lovren aren't bad in the air, indecisive keeping is probably the thing that's costing us atm.
Both Karius and Mingolet have a habit of staying on their line when they should be coming for crosses and coming for crosses when they should be staying on their line. Sort that out and I think we'll be fine.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:54 am

It's all about mentality from now to December in this long string of winnable games.

West Brom are first up. Our lads need to come out breathing fire after last week's tempered game.

Get them on to the canvas in the first 15-20 minutes. Studs onto their throat as soon as they are down and begin stomping until the 90th.

No nonsense and no excuses.

4-0

:buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:42 am

A win is a win is a win... And this is a must win.
Biggest game of the season so far when looking at other fixtures around us.
Hope Wijunaldum is back because our movement and flow is better with him in...
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:46 am

Yep, agree with what everyone else is saying, this one and the following 6 or 7 games will make or break our season. The big teams were never a problem for Klopp's side, it's the games against the "smaller" but physically more superior teams who defend with their backs against the walls and hit us on the counter that are our Achilles' heel. 

For us, Tony Pulis' WBA might be the toughest of the bunch. Considering our record against Pulis (5 draws and 1 loss in the last 6 games I think), it will be a tricky game with a lot of pressure on us. If we win this though, it will be a great moral boost for both players and fans.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Spurs held at Bournemouth (O-O FT), we go above them if we win today.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Arsenal and Spurs failed to win...so if we could get into the groove tonight, we might just go to the top at the end of the day.

Time to show what the boys are made of...if all up to us now
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:23 pm wrote:Spurs held at Bournemouth (O-O FT), we go above them if we win today.

Arsenal drew with Middlesbrough and Everton lost to Burnley. Surely, we shouldn't waste this kinda opportunity. This is the second opportunity in two continuous matches.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:01 pm

maguskwt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:55 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:23 pm wrote:Spurs held at Bournemouth (O-O FT), we go above them if we win today.

Arsenal drew with Middlesbrough and Everton lost to Burnley. Surely, we shouldn't waste this kinda opportunity. This is the second opportunity in two continuous matches.

I'd discount the manure game as an opportunity due to its emotive nature. But I agree, tonights match is a bench mark.
We are either serious about the top 4 or we are not. Simple. COME ON RED MEN!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Team for today is:

Karius,

Clyne, Matip, Lovren, ,Milner

Can Henderson

Lallana Coutinho Mané

Firmino

Substitutes
Wijnaldum
Sturridge
Klavan
Moreno
Lucas
Mignolet
Origi
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Too bad Wijnaldum isn't starting. Guess he's not fit enough yet. Or maybe it's a tactical change, trowing Can in there instead of Gini for a bigger physical presence.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Got lucky there...
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games