LIVERPOOL VS TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR - Monday 6th feb 2012 - 8pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby worcester_red » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Hmm, hard to predict this match, it all depends on the Suarez effect, it really could go anyway but at this time I'd take a draw.
worcester_red

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Need to mark Modric properly this time.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Defoe, Gallas, Adebayor and Huddlestone will all be unavailable for the match. Lennon and Van der Vart are doubtful.

They don't really have a proper striker now. Saha is their only striker and he just arrived at the club, plus he hasn't scored since God know when.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:48 am

damjan193 wrote:Defoe, Gallas, Adebayor and Huddlestone will all be unavailable for the match. Lennon and Van der Vart are doubtful.

They don't really have a proper striker now. Saha is their only striker and he just arrived at the club, plus he hasn't scored since God know when.

Why are so many unavailable?  Injured or suspensions?
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby damjan193 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:23 am

ethanr wrote:
damjan193 wrote:Defoe, Gallas, Adebayor and Huddlestone will all be unavailable for the match. Lennon and Van der Vart are doubtful.

Why are so many unavailable?  Injured or suspensions?

All injured.

Anyway, it appears that Adebayor might still play.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 am

---------------Reina

Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique

-----Spearing--Gerrard--Adam/Shelvey
Kuyt--------------------------Bellamy

-------------Suarez

Kuyt and Bellamy have to start on the wings. Their effort and hard work will help prevent their full-backs from overlapping, getting the crosses in for Saha or Adebayor.

Also, Spearing has to play. We need someone who is willing to run his heart out in the middle and Adam is not the man, nor is Gerrard, as he will be far more useful in the attacking half.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby aCe' » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I think we might have a bit of a problem picking between Adam and Henderson for this one. On the one hand, Adam has been performing well in recent games and if Im not wrong made 2 assists in the last game. Henderson on the other hand does a better job pressing sides higher up and does his fair share of tracking back and flooding the middle.

Another thing to consider is where we want Gerrard to play. If we want him to push higher up and try to linkup with Suarez then we'll most probably need Adam playing alongside Spearing.

Obviously we also have the option of dropping one of Kuyt/Bellamy and putting Henderson down the flank but I'd be very very disappointed if that happens.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Gerrard should sit deep and defend now. Adam is good enough to pick out passes to assist but is :censored: tracking back where as we know Gerrard can play most positions.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm

tubby wrote:Gerrard should sit deep and defend now. Adam is good enough to pick out passes to assist but is :censored: tracking back where as we know Gerrard can play most positions.

You don't sacrafice Gerrards best attributes to allow Adam a free role !!!

You use Gerrard to his best capabilities and allow him to play his natural game.
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
tubby wrote:Gerrard should sit deep and defend now. Adam is good enough to pick out passes to assist but is :censored: tracking back where as we know Gerrard can play most positions.

You don't sacrafice Gerrards best attributes to allow Adam a free role !!!

You use Gerrard to his best capabilities and allow him to play his natural game.

That's why you get Spearing sitting deep and play in a DM role, I read on EPL index that he made the most interceptions during the Wolves game!!!!

I would play Gerrard instead of Adam on this one, I don't see Suarez starting
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm

That was against Wolves mate, a team hovering above the relegation zone. I don't think Spearing would be able to maintain that same level of performance against the likes of Spurs. Also I think Gerrard has lost a bit going forward which is why I said play him deeper as he can still perform well in that position.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 pm

tubby wrote:That was against Wolves mate, a team hovering above the relegation zone. I don't think Spearing would be able to maintain that same level of performance against the likes of Spurs. Also I think Gerrard has lost a bit going forward which is why I said play him deeper as he can still perform well in that position.

How exactly did Gerrard do in that sitting role against Bolton ?

Spearing has had no problems playing against the top teams and deserve his chance.

If we start to build around Adam and move players around to fit him in then we will become a mid table team.
Benny The Noon

Postby only me » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 pm

tubby wrote:That was against Wolves mate, a team hovering above the relegation zone. I don't think Spearing would be able to maintain that same level of performance against the likes of Spurs. Also I think Gerrard has lost a bit going forward which is why I said play him deeper as he can still perform well in that position.

If Spearing can't cut it against Spurs ,Adam would be eaten alive. Little Jay is our best defensive midfielde option today and against the strongest teams he must start. Adam hasn't shown his worth and doesn't deserver a starting shirt. (maybe against lower table teams he and Gerrard can play together).

On attack ,it would be just mad not playing Suarez ,it just doesn't make sense in any way. Play your best players no room for sentiments. Bellamy is a must in my book meaning you need to sacrifice either Kuyt or Carrol.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:37 pm

I'd drop Carroll and Henderson for this one. The problem I have with Carroll is that he slows down our play quite a bit and the chances of him scoring from one or two chances are almost non-existent. Against a side like Spurs who always commit bodies going forward and generally play a high line I can see him struggling to get in the game or even holding up the ball higher up he pitch. Even if we didnt have Suarez back, I'd start Bellamy in a central role for this one ahead of Carroll.

Regarding the central midfield issue, I'm just going to assume (and hope) that both Spearing and Gerrard are fit and will be automatic selections for Kenny here. Which leaves the small matter of the 3rd midfield spot and how they line up. Since Gerrard has been back, we havent seemed to even consider him in the more advanced role behind the striker. Generally, it's been Gerrard and Adam in a deeper role with Henderson ahead of them. With Spearing required for this one, I'd understand people wanting to drop Adam to somewhat keep the shape with Henderson doing well defensively from the more advanced role. However, I'm yet to see Henderson do enough going forward to warrant him holding down the spot regularly especially when you consider our low scoring averages. Adam -despite disappointing defensively- has been a major creative force for the side and has contributed more assists than anyone.

Personally, I think the balance and overall attacking quality provided by a trio of Spearing-Adam-Gerrard should give them the nod especially in home games. That said, I wouldnt be too disappointed if Henderson started ahead of Adam, but I wouldnt expect us to do as well in terms of build up play especially not if Henderson is played alongside Spearing in a deeper role as some have suggested.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Newcastle drawing at the moment, if Utd win today and we win tomorrow then we will be 5th with just 1 point of 4th place.

edit 2-1 to Newcastle now  :veryangry
Last edited by tubby on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games