LIVERPOOL vs ARSENAL Sep 2nd 12:30 GMT

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Shelvey, Sterling and Allen were outstanding though.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm wrote:we wanted to play open like swansea and thats exactly the way we are set up so it only understandable that we get caught out when our play breaks down.
swansea under rodgers was very gung ho and he's brought that here so untill the players adapt that philosophy and implement it better then we will continue to suffer defeats in this manner.

Are you a fan of Rodgers and his football philosophy? You don't seem sold on him or his philosophy from what I can see.
Boxscarf

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:59 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:15 pm wrote:Gerrard has been absolutely rubbish today. The number of times our attacks broke down because of him and Suarez was shocking. And Reina?  :no

Gerrard hasn't been the same player now for around three years and as he's getting older he's getting worse, I think Rodgers has to consider a suitable replacement for him over the next year or two. People seem to think he's going to do a Paul Scholes and end up still being an effective footballer in his late 30's and that just won't be the case. Injuries etc have caught up with him and he's just too old to be charging up and down the pitch like he used to six or seven years ago. He's had his day and it's time to start phasing him out and bringing newer players in his place.
Boxscarf

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:05 pm

I think Gerrard is spent. A sign of a shot player is when they start "disappearing" in games. Stevie is now doing it all to often. And his touch has gone somewhat, losing posession etc

7 years since he was banging em in versus Olympiacos.

And Suarez should stay behind after training and practise his shooting inside the 18 yard box.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:42 pm wrote:Shelvey, Sterling and Allen were outstanding though.

Not sure how anyone can be classed as "outstanding"

They played ok compared to the Sh*t served up by everyone else
Benny The Noon

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm wrote:we wanted to play open like swansea and thats exactly the way we are set up so it only understandable that we get caught out when our play breaks down.
swansea under rodgers was very gung ho and he's brought that here so untill the players adapt that philosophy and implement it better then we will continue to suffer defeats in this manner.

Are you a fan of Rodgers and his football philosophy? You don't seem sold on him or his philosophy from what I can see.

yeah have to say i like the lad and who doesnt want to see their team pass the opposition off the park every week.that performance we threw in against city was among the best ive seen us offer in years even though we shot ourselves in the foot i was still impressed with the manner in which we played and more than happy to see us continue in that vein.
ive had reservations from the start about whether he is experienced enough to manage us at this time.its a big ask of him to cope with the pressure and expectation here compared to swansea and im sure he's beginning to realise that.letting a striker leave without having a replacement in the bag for me is testament to that inexperience,not just his but the owners and ayre included.maybe at which the speed he is trying to implement his philosophy is another mistake and would be much better utilizing what he has better and slowly window by window adding the final touches.
what you get with inexperience is mistakes and he will make them but as long as he learns then he will be ok.
allen has been an excellent signing and i like what i see in borini.he has a touch on him and will come good but is just struggling with the physicality of the league atm.havent seen anything from the rest but hopefully they can do a job.
it was always going to be a bumpy ride and while i wouldnt go as far as some and declare him a reincarnation of shanks i definately wouldnt be pushing the lad out at the first pot hole.id be disapointed if we didnt finish higher than last season tbh but as long as we show signs of progress and not get relegated id be happy to see him continue.
an unbearable situation for us next season is to be looking for another manager so its important that rodgers succeeds and has the support of the fanbase but it doesnt mean that a blind eye has to be turned and the criticism when its due held back. :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby dundreamin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Let's all be honest here. We are f.ucked top 10 is being optimistic. Head out of sand time
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby dundreamin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Let's all be honest here. We are f.ucked top 10 is being optimistic. Head out of sand time
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I feel really sorry for the manager. He's been hung out to dry. We have absolutely nothing upfront now and we are screwed.

Fans need to realise that we are paying the price for years of really poor management. We were days from going into administration ffs. It'll take at least 4-5 years to get back to where we wanna be.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby eds » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 am

stmichael » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 pm wrote:I feel really sorry for the manager. He's been hung out to dry. We have absolutely nothing upfront now and we are screwed.

Fans need to realise that we are paying the price for years of really poor management. We were days from going into administration ffs. It'll take at least 4-5 years to get back to where we wanna be.

So we are now blaming the incompetence of loaning out Carroll and not replacing him with another striker on Gillette and Hicks.

Now I have heard it all!

:no
Last edited by eds on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 am

Anyone who thinks that Carroll could've coped with the style and tempo of Liverpool's play yesterday is clearly dilluded, on drugs or has a drink problem. He was sold not just because the wazzok couldn't score goals but because he doesn't have the ball skills to complement that game style.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:08 am

Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:34 am wrote:Anyone who thinks that Carroll could've coped with the style and tempo of Liverpool's play yesterday is clearly dilluded, on drugs or has a drink problem. He was sold not just because the wazzok couldn't score goals but because he doesn't have the ball skills to complement that game style.

The game style that we keep talking about didnt work yesterday. It also didnt work against WestBrom and it could be argued that it didnt work that well in both fixtures against Hearts either. Obviously the expectation is that we'll improve as the season progresses but I can't for the life of me understand how some supporters can come out and claim that not having Carroll (at least on the bench) doesnt make a difference in our chances of getting back into a game or going all out for the win.

I also think its laughable that some will suggest Rodgers wont change his 'style' or setup even if we are 2-0 down with 30mins to go. For me thats bad management and in no way does it somehow prove that Rodgers is a good manager for sticking with a failing system. There is no top manager out there that I know of who wont change his system to get the most out of the resources at his disposal. Even Guardiola experimented with 3 at the back, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 at different times to try and play to the strengths of his best players. Ferguson at United has built a team that mostly relies on the different options they have to punish weaknesses in the opposition. So yes, having more than 1 plan IS a good thing. The best football we've played in recent times was when we had Gerrard playing behind Torres. We didnt play a passing game and rarely dominated possession but we were very effective. We played on the counter and more importantly we played to our strengths.

As things stand, we have a striker who cant seem to score, another striker who is struggling and being played out of position, and a 17 years old who (for all his good work) isnt ready to be playing this amount of football quite yet.

So yea, I couldnt care less if Carroll fits our system or not. As far as I'm concerned, neither does Suarez and neither does Borini. Like I said from early on, if Rodgers wants to succeed at Liverpool, he'll have to show the same flexibility hes asking of his players at least in the short term.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 am

Hang on, you're appraisal is that if the 'new system' didn't work against West Brom in the first game of the season then thats it - toys out the pram - lets revert to Plan B? Of course its going to take time and of course there will be teething problems and mistakes and unforeseen issues, thats normal. But if you brought Carroll off the bench the team would've had to change its style and thats not what BR wants to do. Carroll is the old system, BR is the new system - the flexibility will come once we've mastered the basics of the new style and it will be the new players showing their flexibility to change to different formations, not the old cart horses trying to raise their game to the new style them thankfully slipping back into the old formation when they go a goal down 'failed again boss, sorry'. Either we want to get back into the top 4 or we're happy being compared to Villa in mid table. Not.

Get on with it Rodgers, you'll get there. Christ lads we haven't won teh league for 20 years so whats another few months?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 am

Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 am wrote:Hang on, you're appraisal is that if the 'new system' didn't work against West Brom in the first game of the season then thats it - toys out the pram - lets revert to Plan B? Of course its going to take time and of course there will be teething problems and mistakes and unforeseen issues, thats normal. But if you brought Carroll off the bench the team would've had to change its style and thats not what BR wants to do. Carroll is the old system, BR is the new system - the flexibility will come once we've mastered the basics of the new style and it will be the new players showing their flexibility to change to different formations, not the old cart horses trying to raise their game to the new style them thankfully slipping back into the old formation when they go a goal down 'failed again boss, sorry'. Either we want to get back into the top 4 or we're happy being compared to Villa in mid table. Not.

Get on with it Rodgers, you'll get there. Christ lads we haven't won teh league for 20 years so whats another few months?

:nod
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:56 am

dundreamin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 pm wrote:Let's all be honest here. We are f.ucked top 10 is being optimistic. Head out of sand time

That's absolute utter rubbish.  :no
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games