Liverpool Vs Arsenal  29/12 17:30 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redshade » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:52 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:36 am wrote:You have to admire the mental strength of this side, we have had teams over the last 25 years who would have crumbled under the pressure there today, particularly after Arsenal scored.
I thought Shaquiri had a terrific game, not only was he composed with the ball at his feet but he worked his @rse off as well.

Remember the legendary 4-4 game in 08/09. :D

We are a different beast so far so good.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:00 am

Incredible

I'm always been rose coloured glasses happy clapping fan but this start exceeds all my wildest dreams

Still a long way to go but dream looks brighter every match
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 am

Confidence of a winning team, striking back like a motherfucker, mentality of a champ...this team is stronger than any one individual part and that's what is being seen here. Long may it continue  :bowdown  :buttrock
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:37 pm

What I loved and hated at the same time last season was how we could end a game in the first half by absolutely destroying our opposition. Great thing to be capable of doing but we basically got to watch only one half. Like yesterday, I was absolutely bored out of my mind during the second half to be honest. Happy, but bored :D

However, while we were capable of blitzing other teams last season, we were also very capable of dropping silly points because we didn't know how to deny opponents from scoring. This season we've done exactly the opposite, sacrificing the high tempo and heavy metal football for a very compact defence and midfield, which has worked well so far. But looking at yesterday's game, we're obviously still capable of that high tempo football, it's as if we can turn it on or off at will. So now teams don't know what we're going to do, are we going to be compact and concentrate on not conceding, which we are very good at, or are we going to go straight at them and try to score as many as possible, which we are also very good at. That must be very scary for other teams, they just don't know what to expect.

Against City, I guarantee we'll see the exact opposite of today's game. We'll try to be more compact and concentrate more on not conceding than scoring. But considering we're obviously extremely good at both, we just can't know for sure what we'll do. And that's amazing.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Interesting post Damjan, and good points. So in this particular scenaryagainst Citeh is the priority to deny them 3 points in the defending strategy you mention it to go for 3 points (what people call a six pointer)? Go for the goals hoping thoback four can stand firm. I see David SILVA opened the scoring today against Soton , he’s a key player to take out if the game on Thursday. Forcing a draw is better than losing... but if we play a negative game we might play into the hands of Guardiola...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Reg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 pm wrote:Interesting post Damjan, and good points. So in this particular scenaryagainst Citeh is the priority to deny them 3 points in the defending strategy you mention it to go for 3 points (what people call a six pointer)? Go for the goals hoping thoback four can stand firm. I see David SILVA opened the scoring today against Soton , he’s a key player to take out if the game on Thursday. Forcing a draw is better than losing... but if we play a negative game we might play into the hands of Guardiola...

Did you have a bit to drink there mate :laugh: , your post is a bit all over the place.

I get what you're saying though. I'm not saying we play negative football a la Mourinho, we don't do that. When I say we play more defensively I basically mean we don't go all gung ho guns blazing at them, we play more compact and more cautious, pack the midfield with an extra player instead of having 4 attackers etc. For most teams that's just normal football playing. Parking the bus isn't our thing. Against City, I think we'll see the more balanced approach we've gone for for the most part of this season. The heavy metal football worked fine against Arsenal, and it was amazing how we could just switch it on after not seing it for the most part of this season, but we also left a lot of space for them to exploit and made plenty of mistakes. Arsenal were just not good enough to capitalise on them but I don't think we'll gamble on City being unable to do so. I don't think we'll be looking for a draw like you say, we'll still want to win, but I think we'll go there with thoughts that a draw would still be a pretty decent result.

Anyway, my main point was that our team is now capable of both; either play a more safe and compact game or go straight at them and try to score as many as possible. We are very good at both and that's a unique and powerful weapon.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 am

Imo the best tactic against City is to go after them, they usually load their starting XI up with attacking players so as Reg says trying to sit back actually plays into their hands. City are a team who are set up to attack, when they have teams on the rack that's when they are in their comfort zone.
I know it's easier said than done but if you can force City onto the back foot they are not actually that good at defending, when those attacking players of theirs are forced to defend that's when City can look ordinary.
It just takes a lot of balls to attack them though because if they break and you find yourself defending a 3 against 3 or 4 against 4 situation you are in trouble because the likes of De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling etc can be devastating if given time and space.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

damjan193 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:48 am wrote:
Reg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 pm wrote:Did you have a bit to drink there mate :laugh: , your post is a bit all over the place.

I get what you're saying though.

God speaks in mysterious ways....!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Excellent, Excellent, an all-round performance, more of the same is needed against M. City and for the rest of the remaining games, however, we must not get carried away, the second of the season can be very tough.

Good Luck Lads
algymoon

Postby devaney » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:20 pm

Yeah Algy the NUTCASE and the DUD did ok !!  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)