Liverpool V Sheffield UTD Sat 28th @12.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Sheff Utd were a lot better than I thought they'd be and we were certainly far from our best but if only on chances created we deserved the 3 points.

A bit concerned about Salah's recent form. Last few appearances the "magic" seems to have disappeared.

Delighted that we're still winning even if it's sometimes ugly, but have to admit I'm missing the "sparkle" we've often shown.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Scruffy but main thing is we won and come home with 3 points.
We keep going.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:23 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:01 pm wrote:Sheff Utd were a lot better than I thought they'd be and we were certainly far from our best but if only on chances created we deserved the 3 points.

A bit concerned about Salah's recent form. Last few appearances the "magic" seems to have disappeared.

Delighted that we're still winning even if it's sometimes ugly, but have to admit I'm missing the "sparkle" we've often shown.

Salah in my opinion is just playing too soft at the moment..No resolve..No strength..No focus..Him losing the ball so easily is just unacceptable.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Tough game , needed to battle , games we would have drawn last season but 3 points on the board
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Sheffield where excellent and that was our hardest game for a long while. Got a top manager and well drilled.

Despite that we should had been 2 up at HT but for Manes wastefullness and after the break Salah squandered a 1 on 1.

We had clearer openings, thought TAA had an off day and we where very fortunate with the goal. Incredible run but every game now there are concerns it will come to an end, and it will of course.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:51 am

This is how LFC won games and won the league  in the old days, they wore teams down then picked up 3 points due to supposed luck. Happy days.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 am

only me » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:23 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:01 pm wrote:Sheff Utd were a lot better than I thought they'd be and we were certainly far from our best but if only on chances created we deserved the 3 points.

Salah in my opinion is just playing too soft at the moment..No resolve..No strength..No focus..Him losing the ball so easily is just unacceptable.
I agree. I think teams are doubling up on Salah and it's making it hard for him individually.. But its leaving room for Bobby and Mane and these 2 are exploiting the gaps left and getting more chances. All the chances this year are falling to Mane.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 am

Massive credit to SU. A draw would probably have been the right result. Pressure however causes mistakes and their goalie was unfortunate. Take the result and move on.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:34 am

Best player was Fabinho.
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby Franky000 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm

this was like a cup final to them so we did well to weather the storm
Franky000

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:03 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 am wrote:
only me » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:23 pm wrote:

I agree. I think teams are doubling up on Salah and it's making it hard for him individually.. But its leaving room for Bobby and Mane and these 2 are exploiting the gaps left and getting more chances. All the chances this year are falling to Mane.

Fair point about teams doubling up on Salah.  :nod

Sometimes there are three defenders closing him down.

When that happens usually there are two predicable outcomes .

1. Mo will play a short ball to an oncoming Alexander Arnold, followed by a TAA cross into the box.
2. Mo will try to cut inside and dribble through 2 or 3 defenders, often without success.

I'm not Jurgen so can't claim to know how we fix this.

Does it need fixing ?

Any ideas ???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Probably not woof, there's nothing wrong with our attack imo, bar the lack od depth. Just to remind everyone, we missed a good amount of sitters in this game. Our strikers were having an off day and Sheffield were playing a good game of football, it was really just "one of those games" that every team has, which we were lucky to win this time.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:35 am

It's not dissimilar to when we had the SAS up front.  Suarez and Sterling running wide leaving gaping gaps for Sturridge to exploit in the centre with Stevie G close behind to take advantage of titbits. Now it's more complicated as Robbo and TAA are out on the flanks and we still have F,M and S in the centre so teams have to park the bus to some extent to ensure our now 5 attacking players are covered. Inevitably defenders will be in close proximity. In rugby massive Jonah Lomo was unstoppable until the South Africans started double tackling him with two men, one top, one  bottom! Maybe its the same.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games