Liverpool vs Sheffield United – Thu 2 Jan – 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby supersub » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:21 pm

I don't think we looked tired or leggy.....from where I was sitting we just looked in total control of the game; didn't need to chase down the ball because they were happy to give it to us whenever we asked for it back. They played as though the smallest defeat was a victory so took no chances. So we just leisurely stroked the ball around; why do more than you have too when there are plenty of games to play. Job done
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:59 pm

supersub » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:21 pm wrote:I don't think we looked tired or leggy.....from where I was sitting we just looked in total control of the game; didn't need to chase down the ball because they were happy to give it to us whenever we asked for it back. They played as though the smallest defeat was a victory so took no chances. So we just leisurely stroked the ball around; why do more than you have too when there are plenty of games to play. Job done

I think there have been a few signs in the past 2 games that the season is starting to catch up with a few players. Robertson and Wijnaldum in particular have looked absolutely gassed towards the end of the last 2 games. January is a slightly more forgiving schedule and I'm sure those in need of it most will get a breather in the FA Cup on Sunday. We'll also get a short winter break in early Feb.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:33 pm

kazza » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:37 pm wrote:After Sunday we will have a match a week for a while so we can rest up nicely. We have come out unscathed so far and may it long continue. I don’t think we will go a whole season undefeated so I am not going to pin my hopes on that, too many things could happen and looking at the schedule there are tough matches to come. I love the fact that teams will start rolling over for us like they did against ManUre, City and Chelsea in their era. Apparently we made more passes than any other team in the history of the premier league so those saying we looked leggy May want to rethink that.

We made 969 passes, a new record
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:08 pm

kazza » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:37 pm wrote:After Sunday we will have a match a week for a while so we can rest up nicely. We have come out unscathed so far and may it long continue. I don’t think we will go a whole season undefeated so I am not going to pin my hopes on that, too many things could happen and looking at the schedule there are tough matches to come. I love the fact that teams will start rolling over for us like they did against ManUre, City and Chelsea in their era. Apparently we made more passes than any other team in the history of the premier league so those saying we looked leggy May want to rethink that.

A hefty percentage of those passes were the back 4 and midfield just knocking it about between themselves, the game had the feel of a pre season friendly at times to me, the crowd seemed flat as well which was surprising given our position in the table.I've always been a big lover and a big advocate of the packed Christmas/New Year schedule but there probably is at least 1 game too many over the festive period. It's just a fact that players run further these days and asking them to run 13km 4 times in 9 days probably is a bit much. Don't get me wrong these modern players could probably run 13km every day but you're inevitably going to get a drop off in intensity.
I thought yesterday's game looked like two teams trying to preserve energy and manage a situation, it wasn't a game between 2 teams just going for it.
If the powers that be knocked 1 game off next year's schedule you'd still have a busy period but it would give the players half a chance to recover.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:56 pm

A hefty percentage of those passes were the back 4 and midfield just knocking it about between themselves

Post match
Commentator to Jurgen "You passed them to Death"
Jurgen "That was the plan"

:D

Think the subtext was "make them run, make them chase, wear them out until they surrender ! "   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games