LIVERPOOL v man united Sun 17th Dec 4.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Doeboy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:56 pm

What an absolute stinker of a game. We know Utd are ***** but it looked like we were trying to out do them on that front. We had lots out there who could be pulled up for their performances but Nunez and Gravenberch really feel like passengers at the moment.

Although we've got the 3 points in the games before today, they've not been convincing performances and we really need to get a grip ahead of the game v Arsenal next week.
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:09 am

red till i die!! » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:46 pm wrote:Diaz was awful and has been for a while now. Struggled to go past anyone today and lost the ball way to much. Nunez is looking like a poor buy at this stage.

Must admit slightly concerned about Diaz. Since he returned from his long term injury, he has had good games but still feels a short of the performances he had up until that injury. Obviously had personal issues to contend with in that time but just hope he can get back to the pre injury form we saw from him.

Nunez....can't shake off the feeling he is maybe better of as a big fish in a small pond. One of those players that could maybe shine for a team a notch or two below us which play to his strengths. Main reason I question whether he'll make it at us is I don't think he has the technical proficiency to allow him to produce the goods for us every week. Sure he'll score some great goals for us and pull something out the bag for us every now and again because he has that raw talent but struggling to see a player you can hang your hat on to perform every week.
Doeboy

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:14 am

Call me a heretic, but if an offer came in for Nunez or Diaz, or both, I'd sell them in a flash. I don't think either is good enough. Nunez has had far too long to prove himself. Diaz for me has his head elsewhere.
There's something just not right at the club at the moment.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:31 am

Diaz and his dad talking about how a move to Barcelona would be a dream move doesn't fill anyone with confidence. We want 100% commitment from our players and talking about other clubs is a way of drawing attention from that club to eventually get that move in the future.

As for Nunez he has the rest of the season to prove his worth.. I was/is his biggest fan, but even I'm getting frustrated with him. If he's not offside, then he's fluffing easy chances.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:11 am

Doeboy wrote:
red till i die!! » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:46 pm wrote:Diaz was awful and has been for a while now. Struggled to go past anyone today and lost the ball way to much. Nunez is looking like a poor buy at this stage.

Must admit slightly concerned about Diaz. Since he returned from his long term injury, he has had good games but still feels a short of the performances he had up until that injury. Obviously had personal issues to contend with in that time but just hope he can get back to the pre injury form we saw from him.

Nunez....can't shake off the feeling he is maybe better of as a big fish in a small pond. One of those players that could maybe shine for a team a notch or two below us which play to his strengths. Main reason I question whether he'll make it at us is I don't think he has the technical proficiency to allow him to produce the goods for us every week. Sure he'll score some great goals for us and pull something out the bag for us every now and again because he has that raw talent but struggling to see a player you can hang your hat on to perform every week.

Just can't help but feel we have a team full of bench players atm. As you say we need players who can perform everyweek as ultimately those are the ones who win you silverware.

We really should have taken all 3 points today. That's a great result for them getting a point off us and they didn't play well either. We really need to be better next week for arsenal.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:47 am

I reckon we will be better against Arsenal as they won't have 11 men behind the ball. Just shows you how far Man U have fallen when they set themselves up like a relegation fighting team playing not to lose.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:52 am

Time is up for Nunez in my opinion, misses too many, offside too much, can't hit a barn door from 3 paces. Never really liked him from the start but for months I've been moaning about his lack of finishing skills. All I hear is "Nunez is great, his work rate is bang up there, his contribution to games as one of the front three is awesome! Love this guy so much!!" - well I'm sorry, work rate etc isn't putting the ball in the net and that is what he is paid the big bucks to do. If you apply for a job as an accountant and you can't f@cking add up then you're a sh!te accountant. First offer on the table for him I'd let him go. Agent of Chaos? Agent of tripe more like.

Diaz... Now this fella I really warmed to straight off. He's gone off the boil recently, might be edging a move but time will tell.

Overall that was not a title contending performance and we really need to be doing better.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:55 am

Boocity » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:47 am wrote:I reckon we will be better against Arsenal as they won't have 11 men behind the ball. Just shows you how far Man U have fallen when they set themselves up like a relegation fighting team playing not to lose.

They didn't even play not to lose, they played not to get battered, the draw was just a bonus for them. The way they saw it, they were at least 2 goals infront from the get go. Congrats to them for finally winning the "don't get smashed by Liverpool this year" throphy, they really worked hard for it.

Anyway, we'll probably have to beat Arsenal now.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:54 pm

This draw had shades of 18/19 when they were there for the taking, however this United version is completely dross to that one, so kind of makes it worse.

Many poor performances yesterday, we knew how they will set up but as usual couldn't break down the bus.

Arsenal are in a better position, more hungry and overall better squad. Given what happened to them last season they will be seeking blood.

We've got too many underperformers, Szboz from looking like the next stevie G to Emre Can. Diaz and Nunez will chip in a goal once England win the world cup.

I'm not confident with this squad, top 4 was the target and should be the target, anything else is a bonus.

If Diaz has his mind elsewhere I'd get rid in Jan, something is off, either his personal life or since his injury.

Nunez, I'd give him until end of season, if still erratic then I'd sell.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:15 am

I don’t think we need to over react with our assessments. A lot of what is being said may have some truth to it but if 1billion pound squad cannot sit and park the bus then there is something wrong. They came to not get battered and showed no ambition, that is hard to play against. They played like a relegation/bottom half side but they have a billion pound squad. I think had ManUre showed ambition and opened up it would have been a rout, they were smart enough to know better. Even had we scored I don’t think they would have changed their shape. There were some poor performances on our side but I won’t write off the whole squad. I do think an open playing Arsenal will be easier to beat than a team that showed no ambition.

But how the mighty have fallen, ManUre and their fans celebrating not getting battered by their number on rival as a victory.

We walk on!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:20 am

:Oo:  :Oo:  :Oo: I’m struggling to subscribe to the fact that United simply set themselves up not to get battered. They were poor but to be frank we were abysmal. We had 34 shots and most of them wouldn’t have threatened if I had been in goal !! The quality of our attack was sadly lacking and failed to demonstrate any sort of imagination. Let’s face it United actually had the better chances even if there was only a couple of them. A lot has already been said about a number of our players that are simply failing to produce what is expected from them. Unfortunately, Klopp has to take some responsibility for that result. Liverpool simply looked like a team that believed all the pre match rhetoric and actually forgot that they were playing our arch fecking enemy !! Even the crowd failed to get behind the team  :help
Last edited by devaney on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:21 am

Dias, Nunez and Gakpo simply aren't good enough, squad players at best. Dias isn't Mane. Nunez isn't Bobby and Gakpo isn't anyone.

Really disappointed.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm

We had plenty of disappointing performances and results like that even years ago when we dominated home and abroad, ups and downs are part of the game. If we draw against Arsenal and Villa beat Sheffield United they go top so it just shows how tight things are at the top.
We have only lost one game all season and that was in controversial circumstances and we are still there or thereabouts, yes we need players to find form but who knows maybe ithat will happen this weekend
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:47 pm

Reg » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:21 am wrote:Dias, Nunez and Gakpo simply aren't good enough, squad players at best. Dias isn't Mane. Nunez isn't Bobby and Gakpo isn't anyone.

Really disappointed.

Share your disappointment Reg BUT lets not throw the baby out with the bath water . Agree that Nunez has been a £85 million disappointment if we had a striker that could convert just half the chances he's had we'd probably be clear at the top by now. As for the other fella's you've mentioned , yeah, not as good as those they've replaced but still more than decent players.

If we can get a clinical striker in the middle of our front three and sort out the DM situation I'd still put some money on us for the title this term.  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:44 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:47 pm wrote:
Reg » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:21 am wrote:Dias, Nunez and Gakpo simply aren't good enough, squad players at best. Dias isn't Mane. Nunez isn't Bobby and Gakpo isn't anyone.

Really disappointed.

Share your disappointment Reg BUT lets not throw the baby out with the bath water . Agree that Nunez has been a £85 million disappointment if we had a striker that could convert just half the chances he's had we'd probably be clear at the top by now. As for the other fella's you've mentioned , yeah, not as good as those they've replaced but still more than decent players.

If we can get a clinical striker in the middle of our front three and sort out the DM situation I'd still put some money on us for the title this term.  :buttrock

Hey Woof, even you and I after a few large G&T's or V&T's at lunchtime could've slotted one of the 34 chances into the back of the net eh? 
You probably would've needed to carry me back to the halfway line though!  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games