Liverpool v everton - 16/01/11

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:49 pm

I think its the same problem this season, even when we had Roy, against Tottenham our players let us down with the finishing, even against Newcastle. We just need that bit of extra flair, quality and confidence on the wings to convert those chances into goals. If we get a player like Suarez or Alexis Sanchez, they will definitely improve our attack. Charlie Adam wouldn't be bad either, very solid midfielder with good pass and vision.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Emerald Red wrote:The usual suspects here: gurning when Rafa was in charge; supporting Roy, then started gurning there too after a while; now gurning again when Kenny is manager.

ER ,this has nothing to with Rafa ,Roy or Kenny - it has to do with decisions managers make ,be it buying/selling players ,be it tactics or be it players selections and subs. Let's argue on descision they make and not how they scratch their face or how they trim their beard. And God knows their are many wrong decisions ,in my opinion of course ,which are currently made by Kenny.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
metalhead wrote:Not disagreeing with you on that. We do need a big, solid center half. Maybe someone like Mertesacker? I think it'll be a while yet before those vulnerablities from set pieces are fixed. The players have jumped from 3 seperate systems in the past 6 months. All of a sudden, there is no words about Zonal Marking anymore. I wonder why.

He is slower than a snail. Easily exposed if the team tries to do more than sit back and counterattack.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:53 pm

metalhead wrote:Dudes,

I actually thought today's selection was decent. It worked in the first half, we should have finished the first half with 3-0 and Torres was absolutely fantastic in that half, so was Maxi and Meireles. Unfortunately, we must address our CB situation as they are costing us games.

I'll have none of that ''poor team'' selection, they were good and it worked in the first half. The only disappointment is that we didn't do enough with our substitution to change the course of the game when we went 2-1 down

I'll agree with that. I was worried, but that first half proven Dalglish got his selection right.

Was disappointed with his substitutions, but I can understand him not wanting to tinker too much - another loss, in the derby, would have killed the confidence of the players. Today is disappointing, but something they can build on.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Why are some people blaming the manager ???

is it down to the manager not converting our chances into goals?

is it down to the manager that our defense is poo?

The only blame he gets is that he should have done better with the substitutions, althought, Shelvey, when he came on did really well! was impressed.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:04 pm

This just proves we really do have some $hitty players. Players like Kuyt, Lucas, M.Rod, Skertel won't get into most of the other premier league team, so when they are playing in our team week in and out, its little wonder why we are dropping so many points exspecially when torres and gerrard are not delivering.

King Kenny has to clean Benitez's mistakes for this to move forward. He needs time and lots of $$$ to create a good team.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:05 pm

metalhead wrote:Why are some people blaming the manager ???

is it down to the manager not converting our chances into goals?

is it down to the manager that our defense is poo?

The only blame he gets is that he should have done better with the substitutions, althought, Shelvey, when he came on did really well! was impressed.

Players and Managers are both responisble ,but the manager decided who plays and how they play. You talk of of converting chances? well maybe if we had another striker on the field we could have done better.

You talk of Krappy defence ,well i didn't pick Johnson for a LB right? And why the Fck Skertel keeps playing??

Those decisions are soley the manager responsibility and Yes at the end of the day someone has to score ,but the Manager needs to help the team do so.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Steve Crooks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:09 pm

only me wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
OneHotRed wrote:Bad team choice, bad substitutions unless you wanted a draw, poor play and tactics, thank god they didnt have Their 2 better players.

NOT impressed so far by Kenny

Bad Team choice !

OK Einstein given who was available who should we have started with ?

Disappointing result but at least and at last the lads looked up for it.

Are you serious??? for a 2nd straight game we have played the worst lineup we had all season long. Yes the worst!!
I have no idea which players was Kenny watching all the time he was at the stands but for sure he wasn't watching the right ones. The boys were up for it i give him that ,but the WRONG boys!

Torres a lone striker again for Fck sake - if it continues like that i'm afraid he would kill himself in the middle of the match.

Johnson LB?? No Left Leg how can he be a LB?? FFS you have Aurellio for that.

Spearing and Lucas??? Spearing just returning from a long absence and both are mediocre defensive CM - who is supposed to support the Attack??

Kuyt and Skertel have at least justified some bench time why do we insist on them everytime??

And what about the Subs?? OK Agger is sick fair enougn ,but we needed attack and speed so we go for Shelvi for Meireless which was decent and where is the last Sub?? Just cowaradly and plays.

Total disappointment in Kenny's picking and tactics ,just plain terrible!

It is so easy to come here and spout about how we should have played 2 strikers, GJ is not a left back etc.. etc.. but this is the hand King Kenny has been dealt! What is he supposed to do?

It is just cr*p to come on here and start slating the King's tactics and ideas. Whatever anyone thought of Hodgson, he was never going to make it at Liverpool because we simply didn't like him.. simple as that. So, instead of getting on the back of King Kenny, we should do our duty.. SUPPORT HIM, use some intelligence because he is Liverpool.

1. Kenny has been here 1 week.. 1 SODDING WEEK! He has probably barely worked out where the nearest loo is, let alone get a grip on all the problems we have (which are many).

2. The king is a football man and is Liverpool's soul. I would bet everything I own that he knows all the problems with the club and has a plan to sort them out (with everyone willing).

3. If you look at all 5 goals we have conceded this week, each and every one of them have been about us making stupid mistakes and losing concentration. How is this fixed? Simple, by being organised and staying switched on. Confidence and training is the key. Also, once we string a couple of wins together, I am convinced we will be a better team as a result.

4. No Gerrard or Carragher.. I mean, come on, they are the heart of the team. The others have been doing a reasonable job at times but we so miss their leadership and power.

5. We all know that our squad has been in poor decline over recent years and this is the result. We will deal with it but it will take time. Give Kenny a chance in the transfer market, it isnt as simple as clicking your fingers or stamping your feet and screaming I want this player and that player to join. It is hard to attract the right talent when struggling like this. Kenny is however a great lure for any player to play under and I am sure this will tell soon.

I am as disappointed with the results and league table position as anyone. In fact, I felt like crying like a baby when the bitters got their second goal today. :sniffle

However, the one thing that encouraged me more than anything today was after we went behind we managed to get over it and get back into the match. Many times this season we have thrown in the towel after going behind, today we didn't do that.

This is going to be a big rebuilding job and even if the worst case scenario happened and we were relegated, we will come back stronger. I am sure we won't get relegated and I predict finishing 11th or 12th but we will be back stronger and doing what we do best.. winning trophies. I am sure of that!  :)
Steve Crooks

Postby Greavesie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 pm

I quite liked Skrtel and Agger against the Mancs and certainly think there's potential there. Do I dare say give them game time to figure each other out and take that risk tho? We all know how good Agger can be and tbh Skrtel certainly looked the part in his early arrival
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Team selection was way too safe and so where the substitutions. Overall it was dissapointing. We dont have the greatest squad we all know that but at least one from Cole, Babel or Pacheo should have started or at worse been introduced from the bench. Instead we swap Spearing for Shelvey. Everton had key men missing and though we did its a home game, a massive home game, and we needed to win. Everton where there for the taking but you have to be positive. If we cant change the players then for god sakes alter the system and approach because what we are doing isnt and never has worked with these players. Two holding in midfield and two grafters wide is not special enough to win matches in this league. Pick Cole, pick Babel, play 3 up front,anything, but just attack and show some balls in the selection. Its very frustrating.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Who the hell will play instead of Skrtel? Kyriagkos? same ability, both are average at best. Who the f*ck do we have another striker to play with Torres? Ngog-Torres partnership never worked, even if Babel played with Torres it would have never worked, we need a ''Tevez'' type of striker to work with Torres, or once Gerrard is back we can put him off Torres.

Johnson had a brilliant game, again it was not his fault for the two goals. Kelly was also stand out player for me.

so tell me... we don't have carragher, who is injured and Agger got ill, who would you play in center back? Wilson? an 18 year old inexperienced defender?

our squad is :censored:... and the players looked up for it at least! but its down to quality that we didn't win the game
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:12 pm

I thought Torres looked more sharp but kept getting stuck up there alone.  I'm surprised anybody thought Raul was any good.  I thought it was his worst game yet.  Yea he scored the goal that was nice, but other than that he consistantly played out of position and gave the ball away time and time again.  He had a very off game. Kelly started strong but seemed to die off a bit at the end.  Kuyt had an ok second half but wasn't that great.  Didn't see maxi in the first half at all except that missed chance from 3 yards, he was nowhere to be seen today.  Skrtel was horrible.  I hate to say stop starting Skrtel because my girlfriend loves him but it seems like his time has come.  Lucas was alright today.  I thought Agger did well in the first half.  Reina seems to be misjudging too many things lately. I thought Johnson did decent today, but the way he played always getting the ball to his right foot and doing more offensively than defensively just proves the point he needs to be tried at right mid or nowhere at all.  Spearing was alright.  Made some little mistakes but worked his @ss off.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:13 pm

First half was decent. We didn't control the game properly, but were hard-working and sharp enough to fend them off, then create the chances and score the goal that gave us a deserved lead. Everton were poor, though. The second half was frankly shocking from our point of view, and serves as another painful reminder of just why our squad needs a major rebuild - not just tinkering, a major rebuild. Everton upped the tempo and we crumbled under the pressure. Why? The midfield couldn't get hold of the ball and that exposed our defence, a rickety one it is, to pressure it couldn't cope with. All season, when we have been put under that kind of pressure - when our midfield and defence have limited time and space on the ball - they choke and any semblance of fluency and cohesion disappears. The mix of quality both in terms of technical ability and physical ability is miles from where it should be for a club of our stature. The equaliser was probably deserved, but a win would have been fortunate.
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:14 pm

ethanr wrote:I thought Torres looked more sharp but kept getting stuck up there alone.  I'm surprised anybody thought Raul was any good.  I thought it was his worst game yet.  Yea he scored the goal that was nice, but other than that he consistantly played out of position and gave the ball away time and time again.  He had a very off game. Kelly started strong but seemed to die off a bit at the end.  Kuyt had an ok second half but wasn't that great.  Didn't see maxi in the first half at all except that missed chance from 3 yards, he was nowhere to be seen today.  Skrtel was horrible.  I hate to say stop starting Skrtel because my girlfriend loves him but it seems like his time has come.  Lucas was alright today.  I thought Agger did well in the first half.  Reina seems to be misjudging too many things lately. I thought Johnson did decent today, but the way he played always getting the ball to his right foot and doing more offensively than defensively just proves the point he needs to be tried at right mid or nowhere at all.  Spearing was alright.  Made some little mistakes but worked his @ss off.

Meireles had a fantastic first half, ran alot and worked his socks off. He just got really tired in the second half, hence he started giving the ball away. I was made up when he scored, fantastic finish from him

He has been playing alot of games recently, maybe he just needs a rest?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:18 pm

LFC2007 wrote:First half was decent. We didn't control the game properly, but were hard-working and sharp enough to fend them off, then create the chances and score the goal that gave us a deserved lead. Everton were poor, though. The second half was frankly shocking from our point of view, and serves as another painful reminder of just why our squad needs a major rebuild - not just tinkering, a major rebuild. Everton upped the tempo and we crumbled under the pressure. Why? The midfield couldn't get hold of the ball and that exposed our defence, a rickety one it is, to pressure it couldn't cope with. All season, when we have been put under that kind of pressure - when our midfield and defence have limited time and space on the ball - they choke and any semblance of fluency and cohesion disappears. The mix of quality both in terms of technical ability and physical ability is miles from where it should be for a club of our stature. The equaliser was probably deserved, but a win would have been fortunate.

Agreed,

We didn't deserve to win because of the second half display. We just lack quality. At least lets get a striker and CB this window.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games