LIVERPOOL v DEBRECENI VSC - 19:45 wed 16th september cl group phase

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Yossi is a must tonight. he'll be brimming with confidence, so that'll probably mean Rafa will bench him. :laugh:

Torres needs a goal or 3 tonight to get him firing again. He's hardly been prolific has he...  we scored 13 goals so far in the league...

Torres 3
Yossi 3
Kyut 2
Gerrard 2
Johnson 2
ngog 1
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:16 pm

I thought that was your prediction for tonights game when I first glanced at your post Lee J :D

I think Torres has looked tired or just out of sorts all season so far. Either he needs a break or he needs something to fire him up a bit. I still think its asking a lot of him to play up front all season on his own, and I just hope that all the kicking and buffetting he receives hasn't taken the edge off his game. We need him firing on all cylinders if we are going to achieve anything significant this season.
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:21 pm

Sabre wrote:
bigmick wrote:It seems I'm picking up some flack for apparent inconsistency, which is fair enough. I suppose having banged on about over rotation (correctly) for years it's only natural that the moment I advocate some "resting" I'm going to cop a bit.

I like to be fair (believe it or not) in a football forum, and if in the past I told Bigmick a couple of things about how he addresses some topics in the forum (I know he didn't like it), I have to be fair this time and defend him.

I laughed at the quote of LFC2007 because it was familiar. But don't call him inconsistent, because anyone that followed the rotation thread, which had pages and pages, must know that he said that about rotation, but how many times did he say aswell that he didn't advocate for playing the same players always? He made that disclaimer no less than 24 times I'd say.

Plus, if anything, it's a sign of him softening his position on rotation, he might now seen the light of moderation rotation being necessary.  :)

I'm not so sure.

I was under the impression that any changes - barring those made under exceptional circumstances (Torres in this instance, for example) - were strictly prohibited under the BigMick doctrine. The argument went that resting several players in between for cup games, particularly when our league title aspirations were under early pressure, would equate to lunacy as it was vitally important to build and maintain fluency and cohesion from one game to the next. Subsequent suggestions that we make four or five changes, just to give other players - 'Leon', 'Lee Peltier', 'the bloke who got shot up the erse', 'Egg Nog', 'Zorba' et al - the 'opportunity of a game', don't seem to stack up in my estimation.
LFC2007

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:27 pm

In the case of Yossi and his flying form. IF he were to sit this one out and then play at west ham, would he really be losing any of his recent form? Wouldn't it be just the same if this was a non-CL week and he was playing weekened to weekend? If there was no midweek game at all would we expect people on hot streaks not to be able to carry it from week to week because they have only been training for the past 6 days?

Not saying that we should or should not drop him for this game, just a general question
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:37 pm

JoeTerp wrote:In the case of Yossi and his flying form. IF he were to sit this one out and then play at west ham, would he really be losing any of his recent form? Wouldn't it be just the same if this was a non-CL week and he was playing weekened to weekend? If there was no midweek game at all would we expect people on hot streaks not to be able to carry it from week to week because they have only been training for the past 6 days?

Not saying that we should or should not drop him for this game, just a general question

I suppose the only real difference would be in training, presumably training is completely different with a midweek game than when they have a clear week?

Maybe if it was a higher profile game there would be disappointment at not being picked, but for a game like tonights I would imagine they wouldn't be too concerned about missing out.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:54 pm

I was under the impression that any changes - barring those made under exceptional circumstances (Torres in this instance, for example) - were strictly prohibited under the BigMick doctrine. The argument went that resting several players in between for cup games, particularly when our league title aspirations were under early pressure, would equate to lunacy as it was vitally important to build and maintain fluency and cohesion from one game to the next. Subsequent suggestions that we make four or five changes, just to give other players - 'Leon', 'Lee Peltier', 'the bloke who got shot up the erse', 'Egg Nog', 'Zorba' et al - the 'opportunity of a game', don't seem to stack up in my estimation.

But that subsequent suggestions are not football suggestions, but rather newkit folklore and literature. It's a classic, like Lando's insults, my lost in translations, that's Bigmick's folklore for you. At least I got it like that, not literally. :D

Now seriously, I would find strange that a poster doesn't change his stance one iota during 5 years. I for one have changed, I believe in rotation, but I'm not that a mass rotation lover as 5 years ago.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:07 pm

s@int wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:In the case of Yossi and his flying form. IF he were to sit this one out and then play at west ham, would he really be losing any of his recent form? Wouldn't it be just the same if this was a non-CL week and he was playing weekened to weekend? If there was no midweek game at all would we expect people on hot streaks not to be able to carry it from week to week because they have only been training for the past 6 days?

I suppose the only real difference would be in training, presumably training is completely different with a midweek game than when they have a clear week?

Maybe if it was a higher profile game there would be disappointment at not being picked, but for a game like tonights I would imagine they wouldn't be too concerned about missing out.

I think what we need is a scientific study on purple patches. What is their cause? why do they end? how can we extend the life of a purple patch? Is it all mental? Is it muscle memory? I would think not getting picked for a game deemed as a lesser game could help Boost confidence because it shows that the manager values you so highly that you deserve to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Although its getting to the point where we might just have to say that Yossi is a really classy player and not just a good player with skill who is playing at his highest level.
JoeTerp

Postby metalhead » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Who gives a feck who plays, as long as we win.... :D

Anyone got the link? linky linky?!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Team for tonight

The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Insua, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Voronin, Babel, Cavalieri, Spearing, Mascherano.
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby metalhead » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 pm

oh :censored: skrtel is playing
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 pm

Anyone got the link to the game?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:59 pm

metalhead wrote:oh :censored: skrtel is playing

???
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
metalhead wrote:oh :censored: skrtel is playing

???

don't mind me im just being sarcastic :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 pm

same team as last sat

I must ask thou to people ignore Insua when they mention people that have come from the reserves . said only gerrard carra and spearing are only people to come up through the ranks - yes he may of been bought from abroad but he is a youngster that has come up through the ranks
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:06 pm

glenbuck patriot wrote:Team for tonight

The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Insua, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Voronin, Babel, Cavalieri, Spearing, Mascherano.

unchanged then

the hungarians will be well up for this, will flood the midfield and our CM will have their work cut out tonight and may struggle.

get the ball out wide quickly to dirk and riera and we'll be ok :buttrock
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games