LIVERPOOL v DEBRECENI VSC - 19:45 wed 16th september cl group phase

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:51 am

My own reasons for believing we need to play a weaker side tonight are similar to Mick's. If I had the choice of losing tonight and winning against West Ham or winning tonight and drawing against West Ham I would without a shadow of a doubt take the win against West Ham.

We have a few players that we need to keep fit if we are to challenge for the title, mainly because their replacements are not up to the standard we really require IN THE LEAGUE....... Johnson, Gerrard, Torres and Carra. Once Agger, and Aquilani are fit again a little bit of the pressure will come off but UNTIL THEN we have to nurse these players in all other competitions and make sure they are fit and playing in the games we really need them....... THE LEAGUE.   

If the players I suggested in my earlier post arn't good enough to beat a Hungarian team ....... what chance would they have of beating a top prem team if we had to call on them ? Play it safe, concentrate on getting our best players playing when and where they are really needed and let the chips fall where they may in the other comps until we have adequate and suitable replacements available.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:10 am

i have a bloke that works with me and he has just been telling me a little about there team

he said they beat man scum 1-0 at home a few years back ( not sure in what comp ) also he said they have 2 old bayern munich strikers playing for them, getting old now but still

i will add he did say that they were not very good though so bonus 4-0 would do or more just for the fun :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:10 am

Play our current strongest side, blow em away, take off the fragile stars ASAP.

Keep the momentum going; failure to win tonight would derail us even if it was only a second 11 out there
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 am

GRAHAM01 wrote:i have a bloke that works with me and he has just been telling me a little about there team

he said they beat man scum 1-0 at home a few years back ( not sure in what comp ) also he said they have 2 old bayern munich strikers playing for them, getting old now but still

i will add he did say that they were not very good though so bonus 4-0 would do or more just for the fun :D

As far as I am aware the mancs beat them 3-0 both home and away mate

DEBRECEN coach Andras Herczeg insists his club have improved since the last time they faced Champions League opposition in England when they were overpowered by Manchester United.

That was in a third qualifying round match and they lost both legs 3-0, suffering at the hands of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.
[url=http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/09/16/debrecen-coach-andras-herczeg-believes-his-side-are-getting-stronger-ahead-of-liverpool-ma
tch-92534-24700588/]Daily post [/url]
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 am

according to rafa's interview yesterday, these hungarians are currently on a good patch of form

We have a lot of information about them now. They have won eight games in a row and they have some players with pace and ability.

we don't want another slip up to a shi tty team, as the knives/pressure will be out again...
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:56 am

bigmick wrote:It seems I'm picking up some flack for apparent inconsistency, which is fair enough. I suppose having banged on about over rotation (correctly) for years it's only natural that the moment I advocate some "resting" I'm going to cop a bit.

I like to be fair (believe it or not) in a football forum, and if in the past I told Bigmick a couple of things about how he addresses some topics in the forum (I know he didn't like it), I have to be fair this time and defend him.

I laughed at the quote of LFC2007 because it was familiar. But don't call him inconsistent, because anyone that followed the rotation thread, which had pages and pages, must know that he said that about rotation, but how many times did he say aswell that he didn't advocate for playing the same players always? He made that disclaimer no less than 24 times I'd say.

Plus, if anything, it's a sign of him softening his position on rotation, he might now seen the light of moderation rotation being necessary.  :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 am

Sabre wrote:
bigmick wrote:It seems I'm picking up some flack for apparent inconsistency, which is fair enough. I suppose having banged on about over rotation (correctly) for years it's only natural that the moment I advocate some "resting" I'm going to cop a bit.

I like to be fair (believe it or not) in a football forum, and if in the past I told Bigmick a couple of things about how he addresses some topics in the forum (I know he didn't like it), I have to be fair this time and defend him.

I laughed at the quote of LFC2007 because it was familiar. But don't call him inconsistent, because anyone that followed the rotation thread, which had pages and pages, must know that he said that about rotation, but how many times did he say aswell that he didn't advocate for playing the same players always? He made that disclaimer no less than 24 times I'd say.

Plus, if anything, it's a sign of him softening his position on rotation, he might now seen the light of moderation rotation being necessary.  :)

to "rotate"/"style"/<insert contrived new term here> or however you name it, at this moment would place it amongst the worst of frivolous team-changing that rafa may have indulged in in the past (and for which he's been roundly criticised for by the usual suspects :D)

we are on a (mini) run of form, we have no injuries amongst our current 11, players are regaining their fitness from the beginning of the season, torrres need a brace or hat-trick to get him out of his current mood...
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 am

Yes, yes, but that words were in a context, and the thread was bloody long. I guess you could also extract odd sentences from me if you cared to look that thread.

I for instance have advocated for not presenting a too weakened team today, as I think that we need to build confidence!!!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 am

s@int wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:i have a bloke that works with me and he has just been telling me a little about there team

As far as I am aware the mancs beat them 3-0 both home and away mate

DEBRECEN coach Andras Herczeg insists his club have improved since the last time they faced Champions League opposition in England when they were overpowered by Manchester United.

That was in a third qualifying round match and they lost both legs 3-0, suffering at the hands of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.
[url=http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/09/16/debrecen-coach-andras-herczeg-believes-his-side-are-getting-stronger-ahead-of-liverpool-ma

tch-92534-24700588/]Daily post [/url]

sorry mate i should have checked but just put down what he told me  :veryangry

his wife comes from there and he goes there all the time so i thought he would be right in what he was saying

numb nuts i will have to kick as* now  :nod
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 am

DEBRECEN are one of eight clubs making their debut in the Champions League group stage this season.

Formed in 1902, Debrecen took 90 years to make their mark and break the Budapest-based domination of Hungarian football.

They only reached the top flight in 1993 and legendary coach Lajos Garamvolgyi masterminded their first major triumph in 1999 when they won the Hungarian Cup.

It was Debrecen’s maiden domestic title in 2005 that really put them on the map.

They matched that feat in three of the following four campaigns and now find themselves at Europe's top table.

Andras Herczeg’s side entered the competition at the second qualifying round stage and nearly fell at the first hurdle.

After beating Swedish champions Kalmar 2-0 at home they suffered a 3-1 defeat and only went through on away goals.

They eased past Levadia Tallinn (Estonia) 2-0 on aggregate and secured their passage to the group stage with a 4-1 win over two legs against Bulgarians Levski Sofia.

Debrecen will be without midfielder Jozsef Varga and winger Tibor Dombi through suspension tonight.

Levski Sofia ... brings back memories - good goal from mowen got us out ofthe sh it in the away leg if i remember...  :D
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Nando26 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:55 am

Im in work tonight so im gonna miss this one :(

Id play: Reina, Kelly, Carra, Ayala, Insua, Mascherano, Gerrard, Yossi, Riera, Babel

subs: Torres, Pacheco, Johnson, Calivieri, Luca, kuyt, Aurielo

5-0 Babel, Yossi, Gerrard (2) Riera
Nando26

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am

bigmick wrote:The last reason I can think of as of now that I'd certainly leave Torres outat the very least is this. He isn't going to stay fit all season, he isn't going to be able to play in every league match. At some point during the season, we are going to need to come up with an alternative. Hopefully it won't be for long otherwise we'll be very quickly also rans, but for a few matches at least we are going to need to find a solution. Doesn't it make sense in a game which we can afford to lose, to have a look at some alternative? My alternative would be to play Babel up top, with Benayoun off him. I'd play this against the Hungarian team, and I'd tell Torres to have a few days off.

It's an interesting thought, this.  I'm certainly no Babelian but I think this kind of idea might serve the common good.  It'll give Torres both a rest and a slight kick up the backside (focus on the league matches, lad, and find your top gear).  It'll allow all those who say that Babel never has the chance to play in his preferred position another occasion to conveniently forget about when we next discuss how he doesn't seem up to it (sorry, couldn't resist :D ).  But, most importantly, it will offer "Rio" one more (last?) opportunity to demonstrate he has something to offer the side.  Or, if that's not motivation enough for him, he can consider it a chance to put himself back into the shop window.  Play Babel, tell him that a good performance will earn him further chances in cup competitions while a bad performance will see him wearing his civvies until the next window and see what we get.  As Mick says, we've got to face up to the fact that we may be without Torres at times throughout the season so we should be rehearsing some potential replacements.  Let's start with Babel and if he's not up to it, we can move on to the Voronator...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Just to clarify though and argue my point, all circumstances are different to each other and despite accusations to the contrary, I've never ever said we ought to play the same team in every single game (that was what the blanket throwers used to say in order to try and dampen down discussion as I remember).

Lets have a little look at the situation, and while we're at it compare it with the Birmingham situation.

Firstly, as of now we only have one viable striker. Not two, three, or four, but one. Who's fault that is if anyones is for other threads, but I think pretty much everyone would agree that if Torres gets seriously injured we are absolutely fecked. This is a different situation to the previous periods when we were rotating ourselves into dizziness, and probably to some extent explains why we don't do it anymore. So if we accept that keeping Torres fit and fresh is absolutely vital, then surely we can accept that the point of view at least that we don't play him in games where it isn't entirely necessary is not off the wall.

Now to come back briefly to Johns point about the manager being damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, I don't think that's fair to be honest. I never said he SHOULD have rested Torres against Burnley, Torres had to play simply because we haven't got anybody else. My point is/was that in an ideal world, given the fact that our star striker looks dead on his feet, we would have been able to at least consider resting him, as it was we couldn't/can't.

Equally, while I think we have proven categorically over the previous few seasons that it really does make sense to get some momentum up before you start chopping and changing (particularly if it involves replacing first choice players with others who are fairly obviously inferior), two mitigating factors apply as of now. Firstly, we kind of have a bit of momentum in that we've just strung a couple of wins together. We're not exactly flying, but at least we have got something going after a pretty average start. Secondly, if ever there was a game in which you can concieveably afford to feck up it's the first Champions League match. We'll still qualify out of the group regardless of the result in this match, and as I said earlier the Premiership game on Saturday is much more important. 

The last reason I can think of as of now that I'd certainly leave Torres outat the very least is this. He isn't going to stay fit all season, he isn't going to be able to play in every league match. At some point during the season, we are going to need to come up with an alternative. Hopefully it won't be for long otherwise we'll be very quickly also rans, but for a few matches at least we are going to need to find a solution. Doesn't it make sense in a game which we can afford to lose, to have a look at some alternative? My alternative would be to play Babel up top, with Benayoun off him. I'd play this against the Hungarian team, and I'd tell Torres to have a few days off.

Just to say it again, our situation in the league is extremely serious. Lose at West Ham and Chelsea and we are absolutely gone for all money, THAT should be our focus, not the game tonight.

Fair post Mick.

Wasn't trying to give you flak, rather just get a bit of discussion going on here, which is almost non-existent of late!

I must also clarify my stance on resting Torres though.  I have no problem with resting him and perhaps someone like Johnson tonight against Debrecen, I just wouldn't advocate wholesale changes because we simply don't have quality to replace quality in a lot of positions (which you have alluded to yourself). 

The bit that surprised me about your previous post was the suggestion of resting Torres against Burnley (IF we had viable options upfront other than Torres, which we don't).  I just think that even if we had a Darren Bent, a Robbie Keane or whoever else as a backup striker, then even still, playing anyone other than Torres in what was a must-win league game is dodgy to say the least.  I was also all the more surprised by the suggestion given your previous stance on rotation, which I think is fair comment to be honest Mick. 

I realise you never advocated keeping the exact team for every game, but surely resting your star striker for a must win game isn't the best use of rotation?  Especially when you're about to play a Hungarian team midweek where it's surely more sensible to rest him then?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Yep, fair one straight back at you John. To be honest it's hard to really comment on because other than Crouch for a time, we've never really had a viable alternative to Torres at the club. Even Keane, all 20 million quid of him never really shot the lights out I think it's fair to say, so had he still been at the club and torres been rested in his favour it would have made many nervous, me included. My point was really that we ought to be looking to at the very least develop a realistic option should Torres be injured or need a rest, at the moment we quite literally have nobody except Kuyt in my estimation.

Without wishing to get bogged down in five pages about Kuyt, I'll take the diplomatic route and say we could do with him staying on the right because he's good there. So in summary, even if we did have an alternative to Torres I'm still not sure I'd have rested him against Burnley you're right there. It would be nice though to at least be able to consider it. I'd definately leave him out against this mob though, and I've a sneaking feeling Rafa will as well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 pm

bigmick wrote:Yep, fair one straight back at you John. To be honest it's hard to really comment on because other than Crouch for a time, we've never really had a viable alternative to Torres at the club. Even Keane, all 20 million quid of him never really shot the lights out I think it's fair to say, so had he still been at the club and torres been rested in his favour it would have made many nervous, me included. My point was really that we ought to be looking to at the very least develop a realistic option should Torres be injured or need a rest, at the moment we quite literally have nobody except Kuyt in my estimation.

Without wishing to get bogged down in five pages about Kuyt, I'll take the diplomatic route and say we could do with him staying on the right because he's good there. So in summary, even if we did have an alternative to Torres I'm still not sure I'd have rested him against Burnley you're right there. It would be nice though to at least be able to consider it. I'd definately leave him out against this mob though, and I've a sneaking feeling Rafa will as well.

Agree about Kuyt, imo he's the only guy I'd be confident of playing from the start up top in Torres' absence.

Voronin drops too deep to play as the focal point and both Benayoun and Gerrard are more suited to the support role too.  Babel for me can't play there.  If you get the ball to his feet then fine, but his runs aren't intelligent enough to get picked up by through balls (therefore using his best attribute - pace) and anything played in to his thighs/chest/head seems to bounce off him and he loses possession.  I think this is why Benitez plays him wide - the lad only truly looks comfortable when the ball is played to his feet when he's in space, anything else and he sh.its himself.  He can't play as a striker imo.

Kuyt I agree I prefer on the right, but I watched him play as a central striker for Holland against Scotland recently and was fairly impressed.  His hold up play and link play was pretty good and he hit the post from a brilliant effort himself.  He seems to have got a bit of confidence back and doesn't have the fans on his back either, which I think will help when we inevitably do have to stick him up top this season.  I think the only thing that holds Kuyt back from being a pretty good striker is a bit of acceleration, and perhaps slightly fragile confidence.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games