Xabi alonso. if it's true we're selling him... - What could be rafa's thinking?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ldhawan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:31 pm

We cannot sell Xabi! There is nobody out there who can do what he does.
ldhawan

Postby Rafas-Y-Fronts » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:41 pm

ldhawan wrote:We cannot sell Xabi! There is nobody out there who can do what he does.

Of course there is!

That is the whole point of having a scouting network.

If Rafa decides to sell Alonso he will already have other options in mind.

We will adapt our tactical approach slightly to accomodate Xabi's replacement and will probably buy a more mobile player and play slightly quicker pass and move football.

Controlling football matches is only effective if there is an end product to lots of possession.

Manchester United won the Premier League last season with a midfield nowhere near as good as ours or Chelsea's.

What they did was to get the ball forward as quickly as possible into the final third and ensure they were clinical enough in front of goal to win important matches.
Rafas-Y-Fronts

Postby akumaface » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:13 pm

The only concern is it takes time to mesh as a team. We played so well towards the end of last season and now is starting all over again. It doesn;t matter who the replacement is. It will take time. If we in fact sell Alonso, whatever money we got wouldn't get us a replacement similar to Alonso ability. Alonso is so complete except he doesn't have speed. Hope it is not going to be a tough year.....
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Ciggy wrote:
peewee wrote:but ciggy, rafa said he never wanted to sell keane either. I think we have to take what rafa is saying with a pinch of salt. it will become clear who is doing what based on any pay out. if alonso asked to go his cntract will not be paid, if we are selling him against his will then his contract will be paid.

From what Ive heard its been Xabi and his agent thats been acting the goat this time and not Rafa, even Nanny said Xabi's agent has met with RM the last fortnight behind Rafa's back and he got wind of it. I cant imagine that would have gone down to well with Rafa either.

I suppose we will know within the next fortnight one way or the other because there is noway that this can drag on all summer its no good for the team and its no good for us to find a replacement at the last minute, ecspecially if Barry joins Arsenal.

Acting the goat? £35m and over £100k a week sounds quite serious to me!

Ok I'll play devils advocate and wait for the flack!

If we can get £35m for a 28 year old who's record has been very up and down then it is something that you can't dismiss.

Mascherano is similar! Just how many times a season do we really need him? When he hasn't played we haven't lost and he gives us nothing going forward other than allowing Gerrard the freedom to attack which I admit is important but surely a more rounded player could do the same. Mascha's eventual start to the season after his other commitments was very average at best. 

The number of killer balls from Mascha and Xabi are very few and far between. Goals are virtually none existent from the two of them. When Rafa had no choice but to play very entertaining attacking football and to play his best eleven we leaked goals. The four against Arsenal are a good example and Mascha was responsible for one of those.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 pm

ldhawan wrote:We cannot sell Xabi! There is nobody out there who can do what he does.

We dont neccesarily need somebody that can do what he does, we can just go for a different type of player and change the midfield style a little bit.
Fauxy

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I hope we draw Madrid again next season at some point. Would love to spank them and send them out of Europe again.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:21 pm

so long as Ronaldo puts Man U out first I'm all up for that mate :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Alex G. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 am

Fauxy wrote:

We dont neccesarily need somebody that can do what he does, we can just go for a different type of player and change the midfield style a little bit.

Someone with more attacking role  :idea
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 pm

The Telegraph this morning described Xabi as Liverpool's metronome ,I think that's an apt description for a player that literally makes our midfield tick .replacing him will certainly not be as easy as some suspect   :(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:11 pm

I agree with that but we could get two really good players if the money is as ridiculous as is being discussed.  And this could increase our attacking options which was the Achilles heel last season
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:22 pm

The Telegraph this morning described Xabi as Liverpool's metronome ,I think that's an apt description for a player that literally makes our midfield tick .replacing him will certainly not be as easy as some suspect

That's exactly what he is and if you look about the market there wouldn't appear to be many who can dictate the play as well as he can.

As an aside, If we could somehow get Essien I'd have him, simply because he's an outstanding all rounder.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion