Xabi alonso...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:07 pm

I think he has stagnated a bit this season. On current form would probably be my fourth choice in central midfield. Obviously he has all the qualities to be a world class central midfielder, but for me he hasn't put it together nearly often enough this season. Too many of his performances have been merely okay, and that's not good enough for a player of his quality. I was expecting him to establish himself as one of the best players in the world this season, but I'm not sure he's even been among the top 10 central midfielders in England, never mind the world. Hopefully the competition for places will help him to raise his game towards the end of the season,

If I'm honest he played no worse than anybody in our squad till mid November. From then on he's improved and is nearing his imperious best. He set the benchmark and it was always going to be difficult for him to attain that level consistently.

I still maintain that if Rafa received a ridiculous bid in the summer he'd be off.

What do ya reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:14 pm

He's certainly not been on top of his game this season, but 4th choice is a bit hard (3rd maybe :D  ). I wouldn't sell him though, not even for £20mill, because as you say he looks like he can become World class (sorry Stu) and we should be looking to bring in top players not sell the ones we have.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:25 pm

F.C. Barcelona will happy to know that some pundits put Alonso as the 4th man, or 3rd for that matter.

I think his season has not been as good as yesteryear, but his football is still class. I have the feeling that some people just got used to him and now appreciate more new faces.

That's my opinion, anyway.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:35 pm

I've gotta admit he has been below par this season and even stretching back to parts of last season. I have wondered whether or not the reason for that this season has been that he's not dealt with having a full summer break for the past two years as well as some of the other squad members. At times his passing hasn't been as accurate as we've come to expect and we've not really seen him running games this term like he's capable of, in fact at times he's drifted right out of matches which has left the onus on others to produce the passing and orchestate the moves that they just don't possess the skill to like Xabi can.
I can't seriously see Rafa accepting an offer for Alonso no matter how ridiculous it is unless Alonso says he wants to move. We've had the reports that Rafa wants to get his biggest players tied to new long term contracts and Alonso is one of those players so I can't see this happening unless Xabi indicates that he wants out.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:42 pm

I think a lot of the work Alonso puts in goes unnoticed.Last season when he got the ball he often played more a killer pass,a more attacking pass.A lot of these balls went to nothing.

I think his major difference this term has been he is keeping it a lot more basic playing the simpler pass.
I still agree though he did have a better season last year though.

As for 4th choice,in my opinion he should start in front of Momo evey time he has much more to offer even if not at his best!
66-1120597113

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:48 pm

4th best?  Honestly?  Not in my book.  No worse than second best, behind Gerrard.  Momo's struggled more to re-find his game and Mascherano has played like 4 games for us, with increasing degrees of skill.  When he plays as near as many games as Xabi has in a season we can start to compare.  Until then, don't feed the hype. 

Also, let's not overlook the fact that many of the things Alonso does helps Gerrard and, lately, Mascherano play further up the pitch and hurt teams.  As much as Mascherano is a defensive midfielder, he still spent more time further forward than Xabi in Eindhoven and that's not a criticism of Xabi.  Alonso likes to sit deep and survey the options in front of him so he's still going to do lots of little things that let Javier get forward.

He's not been as consistently brilliant as shown in previous seasons but he still makes us tick going forward while shielding the defense superbly.  I wouldn't part with him this summer no matter what kind  of money's thrown at us. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:00 pm

Wait till Lando reads this  :D

Seriously St i think you are mad for even considering it. I accept that he hasnt been at the same level as the previous two seasons, but he is vital to the way the team play.
Mascherano has come in and performed brilliantly so far but Xabi has also played well.
His passing hasnt been what it should be this season, and he will be dissapointed about that and looking to improve it, but passing is only one part of his game, he also dictates the tempo, shields the back four-and most importantly allows Gerrard the freedom to do what he wants.
I wouldnt sell Alonso for any amount of money, we should have money to strengthen in the areas that we are weak, selling one of our top players would represent a backward step imo.
I hope the stories of a new contract for him are true, get him tied down and settled i say.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm with Ace on this.... Because we have THE best midfielder in the World, we shouldn't get blase about the others. Xabi doesn't grab a game by the scruff of the neck a la Gerrard, he goes about his business in the background which in turn allows Stevie to do his thing. Two things I do know.... 1. If we were to sell him now we would double our money, and 2. We're not selling him!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:58 pm

I think he's rubbish and should be sold for £2,500,000 to Aston Villa.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:I think he's rubbish and should be sold for £2,500,000 to Aston Villa.

We are talking about Alonso in this thread NOT Pennant mate  :D

Only joking Stu so dont go off on one  :D
account deleted by request

Postby stoney » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:I think he's rubbish and should be sold for £2,500,000 to Aston Villa.

2.5m? Are you serious?

He should be sold for 1m.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:00 pm

What frustrated me about Alonso this season that his passes weren't consistant enough, he played like a sissoko sometimes in his passes, and other times he was phenominal (i.e newcastle game at anfield). the last two seasons his passes were very consistant, i don't know what happened to him this year, maybe fatigue? I still think he is a quality player, he isn't 4th choice midfielder, he is much better than sissoko.

Hopefully a rest this summer and a good pre-season would help him feel fresh in start of the next season (I really hope so!).

I don't want him to leave to barcelona, because it would be really hard to find a player of his calibar.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:06 pm

he still has been the best passer in our squad by miles......
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Feeney » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:32 pm

I've mentioned in another thread that it would be sheer madness to get rid of Alonso. IMO if i'm being honest, Gerrard is always going to be better on the right that Pennant which effectively leaves three players for 2 positions in center mid. The best midfield that we have at the moment at the club is Kewell, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard. Xabi being '3rd or 4th choice' is being a bit short-sighted of the bigger picture.

Admittedly, his form this year hasn't been what we come to expect from him. Class is permanent tho peeps and to sell Alonso for me would be as profound as selling Gerrard.

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:00 pm

Sabre wrote:F.C. Barcelona will happy to know that some pundits put Alonso as the 4th man, or 3rd for that matter.

I think his season has not been as good as yesteryear, but his football is still class. I have the feeling that some people just got used to him and now appreciate more new faces.

That's my opinion, anyway.

eh......... I think its rather some people are calling a spade a spade...

Don't get me wrong...he is a cracking player and all....but this season he has been awful (compared to the high standards he is capable of). .......Full Stop.

But i won't sell him....unless barcelona comes with a 30 million pounds bid or more  :p
Last edited by The_Rock on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion