Xabi alonso...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:33 pm

Sabre wrote:If anyone is going to talk about today's Alonso's performance, I'd ask him to forget the goal. I just could see the first half in the pub until they switched off the game, but he did a great job moving the team.

Yup, the goal was out of this world but it was not the real story of Alonso's game.  He dictated tempo like a maestro out there and his range of passing was sublime.

In particular, I would highlight a moment about 10 minutes into the 2nd half.  Newcastle had us pinned back in our own end for a few minutes and were starting to look dangerous with their play around the box.  We had trouble regaining and retaining possession during this spell.  Finally, Alonso picked up the ball and stood on it.  He then started a series of short, simple passes that worked the ball along the back line, back to Reina and eventually out to Alonso again.  It took the pace right out of the game and it helped settle the lads down.  From that point on, we were on the front foot and Newcastle barely got a look in.

Tonight's performance will go a long way towards silencing the fickle doubters who've be calling for Alonso to be benched.  Goal aside, he's demonstrated in this match why he is essential to our team.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:52 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Sabre wrote:If anyone is going to talk about today's Alonso's performance, I'd ask him to forget the goal. I just could see the first half in the pub until they switched off the game, but he did a great job moving the team.

Yup, the goal was out of this world but it was not the real story of Alonso's game.  He dictated tempo like a maestro out there and his range of passing was sublime.

In particular, I would highlight a moment about 10 minutes into the 2nd half.  Newcastle had us pinned back in our own end for a few minutes and were starting to look dangerous with their play around the box.  We had trouble regaining and retaining possession during this spell.  Finally, Alonso picked up the ball and stood on it.  He then started a series of short, simple passes that worked the ball along the back line, back to Reina and eventually out to Alonso again.  It took the pace right out of the game and it helped settle the lads down.  From that point on, we were on the front foot and Newcastle barely got a look in.

Tonight's performance will go a long way towards silencing the fickle doubters who've be calling for Alonso to be benched.  Goal aside, he's demonstrated in this match why he is essential to our team.

I agree Bob!

But its also worth a mention that Alonso's performances have been way under par until tonight!

Id say Raffa had words and said more or less to sort it out or you WILL be dropped!

I respect people that stick by players.I also respect people that have the balls to slate players and complain if they feel they are letting the team down.
What pis.ses me off is posters that say nothing then jump around shouting'Who doubted Alonso' eh eh??
I new he would come good blah blah blah! If ya know a player is gonna come good and you feel that way...post it!

For the record.I would NOT have played Alonso tonight after his recent performances!From the night Spain played NI at Windsor i felt he was out of sorts.I felt he was a weak link in M/F and not up to scratch but never doubted that he would come good!
Not so quick anyway!!
Im not talking about the goal on its own,that was special!Alonso played tonight as if he had something to prove.He played for the shirt and i think he played for his place!
Maybe Raffas rotational system is making a bit of sense after all.
66-1120597113

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:03 pm

respect people that stick by players.I also respect people that have the balls to slate players and complain if they feel they are letting the team down.
What pis.ses me off is posters that say nothing then jump around shouting'Who doubted Alonso' eh eh??
I new he would come good blah blah blah! If ya know a player is gonna come good and you feel that way...post it!

That magical (for you) and tragical (for me) night in Windsor was a poor performance of Xabi. Granted. All the Spanish team was pathetic, though.

I don't think Xabi was below par against Chelsea though, perhaps not brilliant, but not bad. I think that in a couple of games he suffered the effect of not playing with Sissoko AND Gerrard, and he struggled due to the team selection and the fact the whole team wasn't as gelled together as it was today or against Chelsea (despite the defeat).

I respect of course and I think it's fair to say when he hasn't a good game. At that time I just was making the point that we should not be worried. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:20 pm

Alonso is a class player, and is very important to our midfield, his distribution and vision are second to none, but he has been through a bad patch at the beginning of the season,

His performance against chelshite and his performance tonight against newcastle seems to show he is back to his best.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:28 pm

Yes Alonso is totally CLASS! I would not have played him tonight as he was sh.ite until now!

I would have been wrong..thats why i am here and Raffa is there..i am not at Melwood every day.
I hope he keeps it up.Alonso's passing and understanding with the rest of the team tonight was fantastic and great to see!

Yes i was wrong...Its better being wrong about something you felt was right than not saying anything atal! :;):
66-1120597113

Postby red37 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39 pm

is that right that Alonso's last goal for liverpool was the 60 yarder at kenilworth road last season?  amazing!

beckham my ar5e  :D

top strike, but FAR more of the xabi alonso weve grown to expect tonight...well played reds, keep up the tempo now and we'll be alright.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Yes i was wrong...Its better being wrong about something you felt was right than not saying anything atal! :;):

I'm not sure you're aiming this at me, Barry, but in case you are, I think you'll find that I've been defending Alonso quite vocally in several different threads (including this one) over the last few weeks.  I disagree that he's been sh!te--he has still be doing the subtle, midfield donkey work exceptionally well.  He hasn't, until tonight, turned heads with his passing, however, which many people feel is his bread and butter.

Whether we agree on his performances to date or not, however, surely we all agree that an in-form Alonso--like we saw tonight--is vital to the team.  Ole Xabi!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dalglish » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Its not that long agoi at liverpool Football Club when we were debating whether we should play Leonardsen, Ince, Thomas or Redknapp in Midfield........Now we are struggling to find room in Midfield for Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko ! :p

Went the game tonight and Alonso (Goal Apart) was superb. Parker had his hands fuLl trying to track Gerrard which gave Xabi a lot of space which he used well all game. To cap off a good performance with a goal like that was just sublime.

Liverpol should have had 5 or 6 and ran out easy winners in the end. A clean sheet wil do wonders for the teams confidence as well. An all round good night topped off with a Goal to remember ! :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:49 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:Yes i was wrong...Its better being wrong about something you felt was right than not saying anything atal! :;):

I'm not sure you're aiming this at me, Barry, but in case you are, I think you'll find that I've been defending Alonso quite vocally in several different threads (including this one) over the last few weeks.  I disagree that he's been sh!te--he has still be doing the subtle, midfield donkey work exceptionally well.  He hasn't, until tonight, turned heads with his passing, however, which many people feel is his bread and butter.

Whether we agree on his performances to date or not, however, surely we all agree that an in-form Alonso--like we saw tonight--is vital to the team.  Ole Xabi!  :D

I was stating that i respected your backing of a player!

But in a sense i feel that its wrong at times when its obvious that players quality will shine through,they need a kick up the :censored: though..i feel Raffa gave Xavi a talking to
Damn its SO hard to explain,i've just been sooooo frustrated at our performances lately! Heres to the future!
66-1120597113

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:53 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I was stating that i respected your backing of a player!

But in a sense i feel that its wrong at times when its obvious that players quality will shine through,they need a kick up the :censored: though..i feel Raffa gave Xavi a talking to
Damn its SO hard to explain,i've just been sooooo frustrated at our performances lately! Heres to the future!

Fair enough, Barry.  It's a victory to savour not to nitpick over, eh, mate?  Sorry for any misunderstanding.  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RAGE UK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:21 am

Alonso proved last season he is quality.
And proved he can control the midfield in the absents of Steve-g.
You should be thinking about why rafa keeps playing Steve-g left when he said himself he likes a more free role in the middle and why bellamy is picked and not crouch crouch was scoring for us and bellamy is not. He is fast but he can be as fast as a jet plane but it’s no good if you’re not scoring.
Crouch has been scoring against the world’s best teams but keeps being left on the bench.
And let’s keep playing gerrard out of his licked position and watch him get more and more thrustrated just watch his face during a game. And just hope he don’t wave bye bye to us next season.

That my rant over for the night Alonso is a very good quality player not superman.
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:48 am

F*ck sake.

SOme people are never satisfied:

"Why doesn't Rafa name an unchanged side? We might win then. He's an idiot, blah, blah, blah",

the when he finally does and it results in a damn fine performance, its,

"Oh, the idiot's playing Gerrard out of position..blah, blah, blah."

Will you whiners just shut up and enjoy the fact that we've just won?

You slate the man for chopping and changing his side, then when he names a virtually unchanged line-up, you p*ss and whine about something else!

I seriously think some folk just live to moan.

Anyway - Xabi has rammed the doubters' words back down their throats as a few people on here said he would. He has never been "bad", but wasn't up to his magnificent best until tonight and vs Sh*tski in parts.

Either way, Xabi is back.

Thank God for that.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAGE UK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:27 am

sorry o master of footballing brains (yer right).
:D :laugh:
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:33 am

I'm right, though. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:53 am

:buttrock  What a goal absolutly superb  :bowdown
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion