Xabi alonso...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:46 am

It's not a case of getting rid for the sake of it. Like any other player at the club, he needs to show that he's committed to playing for us by starting negotiations for a new contract. If he starts f#cking us around he should be jibbed off, just like any other player.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:51 am

Momo can bugger off, but alsono must stay.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:03 am

Alonso had a slow start to the season but he was one of many and i do think there has been a bit of 'Alonso is having a lousy year' bandwagon ever since. For me he has had a decent season yet so many fans bemoan that he hasn't played as many killer balls as last year but fail to notice all the good work he does defensively . He made the 2nd most tackles in the league last year and he is there or thereabouts again this time around. Along with Gerrard, Xabi is the player we miss most when he is not in the side. You actually notice he isn't there and suddenly our Passing game doesn't look as fluid as when he's in the team. Gerrard has said on several occasions that "Xabi makes us tick" and he's right. He is in some ways simliar to Scholes (the player who makes united tick) in that he is ALWAYS available for the pass because his movement is superb, watch the angles he takes instantly whenever a teamate is on the ball. Also watch the way he adresses the ball which is again much like Scholes. I guess the downside to Xabi this season is he has gotten deeper and obviously you would like to see him playing a little further up the park where he can kill teams whith his vision and passing. however, i'm not sure you can blame the player for this and i can only assume Rafa has asked him to play deeper now that Didi is gone. I would like to see him playing further forward and don't really see the need for him to be taking the ball off the centre-halves just outside their own box especially now that we have a 'ball playing' centre-half in Agger who is quite capable of bringing the ball out himself.

As for Masherano, he looks a quality player and he has started well but i'm not getting too carried away and would have Alonso in the side ahead of him were it a choice between the two.
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:27 am

I agree Crazyhorse and most of Scottbot says.

With all due respect to the posters that think that he's making a poor season, I'll tell you how I saw the more 'succesful' season of yesteryear.

Xabi Alonso received the praises of the media and many of the posters when he scored goals. He received most praises when scored goals from our halve of the pitch against Luton, or a good range effort. I saw him receiving most praises when achieving a bonus target like a goal. But his game is not about that. Should Alonso had scored a couple of goals more this season, I'm not so sure people would be saying he has made a poor season.

Scholes is a different kind of player IMHO, but it's true the part that says that Alonso makes the team 'tick' aswell
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:39 am

The problem is Gerrard was our best midfielder so when Xabi came along we where all over the moon, and the improvements where vast.
Then came Momo, and now Masch.
And better players all around the team, thats why some people are being critical of him along with Gerrard and Momo.
He had a slow start to the season, but has improved as time has gone on not the quickest so gets noticed more.
Excellent player that I hope we keep for many years to come I think he's great, I love him he is part of the spine of the team that Rafa wants to keep.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:34 pm

superb player end of, as someone said before form is tempory, class is permanent!

he is there to boss the midfiled, break down attacks, set up counter attacks and normal attacks!

amazing to watch, him and mascherano should play central with gerrard in a zidane type role of creative midfielder. i think thats what gerrard is going to become! and he will be amazing at it, with alonso and massa controlling the midfield allowing gearrd to be let loose on an unsuspecting team!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Ciggy wrote:The problem is Gerrard was our best midfielder so when Xabi came along we where all over the moon, and the improvements where vast.
Then came Momo, and now Masch.
And better players all around the team, thats why some people are being critical of him along with Gerrard and Momo.
He had a slow start to the season, but has improved as time has gone on not the quickest so gets noticed more.
Excellent player that I hope we keep for many years to come I think he's great, I love him he is part of the spine of the team that Rafa wants to keep.

In another thread you said you wanted Momo Sissoko out...

He can bugger off, or something... ???
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:51 pm

hello_red wrote:superb player end of, as someone said before form is tempory, class is permanent!

he is there to boss the midfiled, break down attacks, set up counter attacks and normal attacks!

amazing to watch, him and mascherano should play central with gerrard in a zidane type role of creative midfielder. i think thats what gerrard is going to become! and he will be amazing at it, with alonso and massa controlling the midfield allowing gearrd to be let loose on an unsuspecting team!

Comparing Gerrard...

A box to box, aggressive ball winner with an immense physical game who defends and attacks equally well both to a very good (not great) standard...

To Zidane...

The most creative, skillfull and skilky player ever to play football but wasn't exactly what you would call hard working or defensive...

:laugh:

Thats like Comparing Owen and Bergkamp lad. Completely different players in completely different positions and completely different attributes. Can you say who's better, of crouse, but to say they're similar is wrong and completely clueless.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 pm

I know I got ripped for comparing Fowler's age in relation to Bergkamp's when he retired but saying that Momo can go is absolute madness just because masch is here. He's arguably not as important to the team as Alonso is, but against teams that attack attack he can be vital in laying down the platform for a counter attack which allows for the likes of Gerrard and hopefully villa to hit them on the break.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion