Xabi alonso...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Elchris » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 pm

He is one of the best passer in the team... Liverpool need him we play better with him...
Now with him and mascherano in the middle they are looking fantastic...selling him can't be considered
we'll be left with a huge gap
Elchris

Postby hello_red » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:19 pm

mascherano and alonso midfield end of! unlees gerrard is going to play in that position! even then id strongly think about it, gerrard is a zidane type player in the way that he plays in the hole like a mofo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are the best! realise!

x
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:22 pm

hello_red wrote:mascherano and alonso midfield end of! unlees gerrard is going to play in that position! even then id strongly think about it, gerrard is a zidane type player in the way that he plays in the hole like a mofo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are the best! realise!

x

:kungfu:
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:52 pm

stmichael wrote:I think he has stagnated a bit this season. On current form would probably be my fourth choice in central midfield. Obviously he has all the qualities to be a world class central midfielder, but for me he hasn't put it together nearly often enough this season. Too many of his performances have been merely okay, and that's not good enough for a player of his quality. I was expecting him to establish himself as one of the best players in the world this season, but I'm not sure he's even been among the top 10 central midfielders in England, never mind the world. Hopefully the competition for places will help him to raise his game towards the end of the season,

If I'm honest he played no worse than anybody in our squad till mid November. From then on he's improved and is nearing his imperious best. He set the benchmark and it was always going to be difficult for him to attain that level consistently.

I still maintain that if Rafa received a ridiculous bid in the summer he'd be off.

What do ya reckon?

I thought you went the match lad ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:05 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
stmichael wrote:I think he has stagnated a bit this season. On current form would probably be my fourth choice in central midfield. Obviously he has all the qualities to be a world class central midfielder, but for me he hasn't put it together nearly often enough this season. Too many of his performances have been merely okay, and that's not good enough for a player of his quality. I was expecting him to establish himself as one of the best players in the world this season, but I'm not sure he's even been among the top 10 central midfielders in England, never mind the world. Hopefully the competition for places will help him to raise his game towards the end of the season,

If I'm honest he played no worse than anybody in our squad till mid November. From then on he's improved and is nearing his imperious best. He set the benchmark and it was always going to be difficult for him to attain that level consistently.

I still maintain that if Rafa received a ridiculous bid in the summer he'd be off.

What do ya reckon?

I thought you went the match lad ?

I do. What point are you trying to make. I'm just saying what I see.

I think Alonso suffers because Rafa makes him play as a defensive midfielder. He's better when he can attack more in my opinion.

As for how he's done this season I think it's his worst of the 3 he's had with us. His best was the first and he's not reached the heights since then. Remember when he first came and was sweeping 40 yard balls across the pitch every week and he was getting into and around the box, his goal against Arsenal at home being the best example. We never see those sides of his game anymore but as I say, it's because Rafa has him playing more defensively.

He still f#ckin rules though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:06 pm

s@int wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:I think he's rubbish and should be sold for £2,500,000 to Aston Villa.

We are talking about Alonso in this thread NOT Pennant mate  :D

Made me choke on me coffee that Saint, nice one.

On the question of Alonso I'm at a bit of a loss where to start really. Fourth choice central midfielder? I can't believe you said that St Mike, maybe you just fancied being controversial  :D No, for me he's the best holding midfielder at the club by a distance and would be the first name in the central midfield slot every week. The argument for me is always about who plays best with him and I'd never sell unless the offer was absolutely unbelieveable.

Although Mascherano has started brilliantly, I think theres something in what sabre says regarding people just getting used to what Alonso does and not appreciating it anymore. We'd soon miss it if he wasn't there though, of that I have no doubt.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:36 am

Quite simply (and very much cliched!): Form is temporary, CLASS is permanent. Alonso is going through a bad spell (by his standards) at the moment, yes. But if we sold all the players that went through bad spells, we'd be left with no one (except maybe Carra :) )

Sell one of our best players? Madness. We should be encouraging him to return to form, not slagging him off.
alxy

Postby skipper » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:59 pm

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:I think he's rubbish and should be sold for £2,500,000 to Aston Villa.

We are talking about Alonso in this thread NOT Pennant mate  :D

Made me choke on me coffee that Saint, nice one.

On the question of Alonso I'm at a bit of a loss where to start really. Fourth choice central midfielder? I can't believe you said that St Mike, maybe you just fancied being controversial  :D No, for me he's the best holding midfielder at the club by a distance and would be the first name in the central midfield slot every week. The argument for me is always about who plays best with him and I'd never sell unless the offer was absolutely unbelieveable.

Although Mascherano has started brilliantly, I think theres something in what sabre says regarding people just getting used to what Alonso does and not appreciating it anymore. We'd soon miss it if he wasn't there though, of that I have no doubt.

Absolutely, we'll miss him if he leaves.  Xabi got off to such a fantastic start with us, so when he does play a bit below par people have been quick to criticize.  What we must realize is that he is the best holding midfielder at the club and is an absolute rock for us in the midfield.  We don't know yet if Mascherano will successfully fill that huge void that would be left by Alonso's departure.

Xabi's form also correlates closely with the form of the entire team.  He's a crucial player who is often laid back and plays quitely.  Just because he doesn't offer moments of excitement every match doesn't mean he's not filling in his role.  Unless someone offers an insane amount of money, Alonso should not be sold.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:18 pm

:no

We are talking about the best defensive midfielder in the World here. Let's just remember that.

To sell Xabi Alonso against his wishes would be a catastrophic error, and I would personally hunt Rafa down and smack seven shades of sh*te out of him.

Happily, Rafa agrees with me on this, hence why Xabi is currently in talks to extend his contract.

St Mike - next match you go to, can I suggest you stop ball watching and actually watch Xabi and the movements he makes, the positions he takes up? And that goes for any other doubters.

Then you'll stop questioning him. I guarantee it.

The day Xabi Alonso leaves Liverpool against his wishes is the day Hell freezes over and Satan skates to work.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:36 pm

anyone who doubts xabi alonso needs a slap

end of
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:47 pm

I'll echo what Lando is saying and I cannot believe my ears when some people suggest that Liverpool might let Alonso go if the money on offer is good.

Barring a complete falling out between player and club - which is not going to happen as long as Rafa is at the helm - Liverpool are not going to sell Alonso against his wishes. Maybe I'm following another club and watching another team altogether, but its always seemed to me that as long as Rafa has been here, Alonso has been teacher's pet, more so than any other player (even more so than Carra and definitely more so than Gerrard).

In all his time here did Ian Rush not have the occasional poor (by his standards) season? What about John Barnes? Ronnie Whelan. Steve Nicol. Ray Clemence? What about Paul Scholes at Man UTD: he had a couple of below par years and last year was awful for him yet he has probably been the best midfielder in England this year.

Alonso is still only a chap with a lot of football still under his belt and I'm not for one second worried about him. He's a Liverpool player of the old school (on and off the park). :blues:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby marcus.c » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:33 am

We cannot simply sell away players in this manner. Xabi has won medals with the club. He knows what it means. The passion and Pride! Xabi is class that is for sure. So what if he is playing slightly below par? Do we sell away our players just because they have not been playing to their potential?

Xabi is a very useful addition to the club. And to compete at the highest level, we need such players. The only way for Xabi to improve, is by fighting for his place with Sissoko and masch. I believe, we will see the Xabi that we have all been hopping to see. But what I really want to see is Sissoko, Masch and Xabi playing to their potention week in week out. That way, we can afford to play a lot more variation in terms of attacking football.
marcus.c

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:17 am

RedBlood wrote:anyone who doubts xabi alonso needs a slap

end of

Ahhh look at you there thinkin ya me...

Keep it up. :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:21 am

JBG wrote:I'll echo what Lando is saying and I cannot believe my ears when some people suggest that Liverpool might let Alonso go if the money on offer is good.

Barring a complete falling out between player and club - which is not going to happen as long as Rafa is at the helm - Liverpool are not going to sell Alonso against his wishes. Maybe I'm following another club and watching another team altogether, but its always seemed to me that as long as Rafa has been here, Alonso has been teacher's pet, more so than any other player (even more so than Carra and definitely more so than Gerrard).

In all his time here did Ian Rush not have the occasional poor (by his standards) season? What about John Barnes? Ronnie Whelan. Steve Nicol. Ray Clemence? What about Paul Scholes at Man UTD: he had a couple of below par years and last year was awful for him yet he has probably been the best midfielder in England this year.

Alonso is still only a chap with a lot of football still under his belt and I'm not for one second worried about him. He's a Liverpool player of the old school (on and off the park). :blues:

While agree our fans have started to overate him and he's not been as his best. While I agree he could do more at times and hasn't done what he should have since he's been here IE more performances like against Everton (at anfield) and Juventus. I complete disagree we should sell him.

He's good enough (like Gerrard in many ways) to make a team play well on his own. He can influence a game a hell of a lot. While he won't score you alot of goals and directly create, like Gerrard he'll get everyone around him playing alot better and help them raise there game.

He does need to step up next season ALOT.

But the fact is, one word describes him...

CLASS!
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:56 am

I do not think Xabi has had a really poor season. He has played a far more withdrawn role this year, and has had to adapt to playing with Momo, Mascherano, Gerrard, and even Zenden in the centre of midfield. He rarely plays with the same player in there for much more than 3 games on the trot.

He is class, full stop. He reminds me a bit of Ronnie Whelan - a no fuss player who will always quietly get the job done efficiently and well.

I would not sell him for 30 million.

4th choice my harris!
Last edited by crazyhorse on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion