Xabi alonso. if it's true we're selling him... - What could be rafa's thinking?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Hes been the clutch this season,the team around him the gears!!
But you probably would'nt understand that cause you all drive automatics over there!! :D  :rasp

Stick shift all the way for me, Baz.  I only drive automatic on vacation over in your neck of the woods.  There's enough to think about driving on the other side of the road--I don't need to worry about switching gears with the opposite hand/foot either. :no :D

HOLIDAY! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:15 pm

CELEBRATE....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 pm

red37 wrote:CELEBRATE....

COME ON...
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Some good points on here but I'd just like to clear upm a couple of misconceptions people got from my long ramble.

Firstly I don't want to sell Alonso myself. I was just trying to guess what was in the managers head. As I said in the original post, if it was me I'd be looking to bring in a top class centre half.

Equally, when people say "but Rafa doesn't want to sell Xabi either" I kind of agree. Except there's "we don't really want to sell" and there's "feck off you Madrid c...s we ain't fecking selling", the latter of which I suspect would be the case if they came knocking for Torres or Gerrard. I would myself just about have Alonso in the same category, I was just trying to understand why Rafa seemingly doesn't.

The last thing was back to Sabre's point about Alonso not being capable of doing a young Scholes or a Baraja. I agree, and I didn't mean to imply that he could. Equally, I also agree that he can do things that they can't as well. What I'm saying is that perhaps from Rafa's point of view, that's why he will countenance the selling of Alonso, if indeed it's the case that he will.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:29 pm

bigmick wrote:Some good points on here but I'd just like to clear upm a couple of misconceptions people got from my long ramble.

Firstly I don't want to sell Alonso myself. I was just trying to guess what was in the managers head. As I said in the original post, if it was me I'd be looking to bring in a top class centre half.

Equally, when people say "but Rafa doesn't want to sell Xabi either" I kind of agree. Except there's "we don't really want to sell" and there's "feck off you Madrid c...s we ain't fecking selling", the latter of which I suspect would be the case if they came knocking for Torres or Gerrard. I would myself just about have Alonso in the same category, I was just trying to understand why Rafa seemingly doesn't.

The last thing was back to Sabre's point about Alonso not being capable of doing a young Scholes or a Baraja. I agree, and I didn't mean to imply that he could. Equally, I also agree that he can do things that they can't as well. What I'm saying is that perhaps from Rafa's point of view, that's why he will countenance the selling of Alonso, if indeed it's the case that he will.

Who with??
Give me a player that will suit us better?

Half the fuc,kin time you type its for effect!We all know you are still there..we can see ya..replace him WITH WHO???

And dont start rhyming off stupid players that no one has heard of.....Xabi is not easy replaced!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Well perhaps it's difficult to replace him man by man, but I think S@int has written in some of the recently opened similar threads, a formation that was like

----Barry------Masch

Gerrard ----Tevez----Silva

-----------Torres

As much as I like Alonso, and as much as I make jokes with Effes saying how much more I like Alonso than Essien, I have to admit that six would be a stronger team than the current one with Alonso, Kuyt, and Riera.

Perhaps they mean mate, that one Alonso out, might be softened by buying three top class midfielders instead to replace him.

And I'd have to agree the resulting team would be stronger.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Number 9 wrote:
bigmick wrote:Some good points on here but I'd just like to clear upm a couple of misconceptions people got from my long ramble.

Who with??

Half the fuc,kin time you type its for effect!We all know you are still there..we can see ya..replace him WITH WHO???

And dont start rhyming off stupid players that no one has heard of.....Xabi is not easy replaced!

Have you quoted the right post here fella or are you just in one of your lets have a row moods?

Read it again. Read the "I don't want to sell Alonso myself" bit, it's not too long a post. Read it again and stop being a silly c...

I worry about you sometimes fella I really do.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 pm

bigmick wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

Who with??

Have you quoted the right post here fella or are you just in one of your lets have a row moods?

Read it again. Read the "I don't want to sell Alonso myself" bit, it's not too long a post. Read it again and stop being a silly c...

I worry about you sometimes fella I really do.

No I just read the tip of it!! :D

No need to worry about me!And no im not in a lets have a row moods! :p
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Cool, no probs.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Hmmmm
We know what we get with Xabi. No surprises. Steady, quality, class.
Is Barry the replacement we need if xabi goes? Not what Ive seen of him. I dont think hes even as good as Xabi. Definitely not better. If he is to be replaced surely someone with the same passing ability and distribution but with pace has to be the choice?
But who?
Not Barry thats for sure
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 pm

Sir Roger wrote:Hmmmm
We know what we get with Xabi. No surprises. Steady, quality, class.
Is Barry the replacement we need if xabi goes? Not what Ive seen of him. I dont think hes even as good as Xabi. Definitely not better. If he is to be replaced surely someone with the same passing ability and distribution but with pace has to be the choice?
But who?
Not Barry thats for sure

I don't think the theory behind selling Alonso and buying Barry is that Barry is better than Alonso, although Barry is better than a lot on here seem to think imo. The idea is to sell Alonso for £20million, buy Barry (or equivalent) for £10million and then use the £10million to aid buying Tevez or whoever.
account deleted by request

Postby aCe' » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:16 pm

Wouldnt think of it this way really sir rog..... its more like... if we replace Alonso with Tevez.. what effect would that have on our setup and level of play.... more valid a question than the Barry-Alonso one u put out.... because quite honestly im not sure anyone would want to see us replace Alonso with Barry ONLY after the season Alonso has had... not that it would be as disastrous as some would have you believe mind you....
Last edited by aCe' on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 am

Yes we could replace xabi and use the money to get tevez but we then loose the control we have in the midfield by having xabi there - Barry wont be able to have that same control .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mjlfc09 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:47 pm

If we have to sell Alonso, I'd drop Gerrard back into Midfield and buy a world class striker like Tevez, Aguero or Villa with the 30 + million from Alonso to play upfront with Torres. I know Stevie has had his best season goalscoring wise playing off the front and has formed a world class partnership with Torres but Gerrard could still link up with him from a deeper position and be a massive goal threat, remember he used play as a CM on a regular basis a number of years ago.

He used to have a problem with discipline and vacating his Midfield position leaving us a wide open through the middle but he's more experienced now and would know when to make his bursting runs forward. His disciplined performance at Goodison park at the beginning of last season proves that. Hes got all the attributes to play there like his long range passing, crunching tackles etc.

This would solve our problem of not scoring enough goals from Midfield(Masch and Alonso don't provide a goal threat) and increase our fire power overall with two 30+ goals a season strikers upfront.

This is what the team would look like if we signed that world class striker and even possibly Silva :

-------------------Reina--------------------------

Arbeloa------Carra-----------Agger---------Insua

Kuyt--------Gerrard---------Masch---------Silva

------------Torres----------Aguero/Villa------------
mjlfc09

Postby Octsky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 am

actually i like our formation of 4-5-1, a rock steady middle 3, and inter-switchable to a attacking 4-3-3 if needed. it provide more flexibility than 442. i noticed the modern game has slowly evolved to being a 4-3-3 formation thinking barca, mancs, chelsea.

so i am a bit uneasy for us to suddenly switch back to a more conventional 4-4-2.
barry @ 10 mil will provide a nice back up but in wenger's term would have "killed" lucas, so lucas need to live up to his tag in the new season.

Going back to alonso, i dont see the reasons of selling him, but if rafa does sell alonso, there is a good reason behind it. the boss has his hands tied and there are no other choices. just like cutting losses on Owen and Keane. It's for the big picture.
In the Keane saga, I believed he will still be here if he did not arrived  with a 20 mil price tag. He is too big a risk to be a flunk, we dont have the resource for a 20 mil signing to slowly adapt (although he has been playing EPL for most his life). if we signed keane for 10 mil, he will still be a reds player today.

again, unless we switch to a 442 (which i dont think will happend), rafa wont sell alonso looking now that barry has sold himself to cash.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion