Xabi alonso. if it's true we're selling him... - What could be rafa's thinking?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 pm

aCe' wrote:Im not sure where this discussion is headed but anyways...

Lets just start off by saying that IF we end up losing Alonso, it wouldnt be the end of the world... Theres a good chance that selling Alonso would only help in us becoming a better team in terms of attacking play IF Rafa goes out and bring in the right players and figures out a winning setup...

Two big IFs but it all comes down to Rafa and what he decides... I dont think Alonso wants to leave, i dont think Rafa would want to sell Alonso if we had enough funds, but given that we dont, i think that if Alonso does eventually leave, it would be because Rafa made it clear to him that he is replacable.

Now back to the whole discussion about Alonso and his role in the side... To me, Alonsos main role is controlling the pace of the game, linking the play and providing defensive cover to the back 4.... Mascherano does pretty much the same things, except his added mobility allows to pop up and cover more ground on the pitch, albeit with less game intelligence and average link up play... To me, i'd much rather have Alonso in the side than Mascherano, but Rafa sees it differently and im sure theres a point to be made about each player and what they add to the side...

To put things in context, you look at a Chelsea side that has Essien as one of 3 in the middle of the park, a manutd side that has Carrick in a 2man midfield pairing and it seems like different setups could work just as effectively if carried out in the right manner... to me, Essien is probably  one of the best around... better than Alonso, better than Mascherano, and offers more at both ends of the pitch than both... Carrick is more of an Alonso type of player, except hes better at carrying the ball and poppping up at attacking positions, and thus offers more of an attacking threat than Alonso does... Point is, they can both do Alonso's job in our current setup and it would work just as well if not better as far as im concerned... Before people stat jumping on my back, im not saying we should go out and sign either of them, im not saying that Carrick is the better player, im just saying that losing Alonso might not be as big a mistake as some seem to suggest IF Rafa plays it right...

Alonsos role or his position in the side are not a problem as far as i can tell... him not scoring double figures in the league every season isnt a problem, i wouldnt think. Our problem has mostly to do with our forward play... our creativity down the final third, and that isnt Alonsos territory .. Hes benefitied from having Riera in the side... Picking a pass to a player who knows how and where to position himself to recieve a good ball has added to Alonsos game this season as Sabre has pointed out... Maybe we should focus on replacing the attacking players we have with better quality... the Kuyts, Rieras, Babels and Benayouns all while being good player, can be improved upon...

I agree with most of what you say except i think that we will loose a lot of our aggresive play if it is just Mascherano in that midfield area controling the pace because he doesnt have as good a passing ability as Alonso.

That said though, you made a good point that our team would become better in terms of attacking play if Rafa brings in the right players if Alonso is sold.

An idea of my ideal line up would be something like this:

Tevez  -  Torres

Gerrard
    Riera                                     Silva

Mascherano

Aurelio   -    Agger     -   Carragher  -   Johnson

We have Kuyt as backup Right Winger/Striker and Silva can always play on the left. Mascherano acting as a bit more of a distributor and Gerrard can drop back and help defend when needed. We would also have Benayoun and Barry as Backup midfielders for Rafa's rotations.

There is of course the other option of sticking to the same formation that we have but replacing Alonso with this Javi Martinez guy from Atletico Bilbao who ive been hearing good things about.
Last edited by Fauxy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fauxy

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:08 pm

All good points so far.

My feeling is similar to Micks. Alonso is a great player but I think Rafa wants a far more proactive player, such as Barry. With Alonso stepping up his game this season and effectively increasing his value on the transfer market Rafa must be seeing the "bigger picture". After all £50m to spend on squad strengthening will go far further than £30m.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Done think selling Alonso alone would fung Tevez, Silva, Barry and Johnson.... if we had all this money id rather we kept Alonso and signed only 1 or two of the other lot
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jono » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Liverpool 'accept' Real Madrid's £22m Xabi Alonso bid with ex-United star Gabriel Heinze set for Anfield

Xabi Alonso has agreed a £22million move to Real Madrid in a deal that could see Gabriel Heinze move to Liverpool, according to reports in Spain.

Forget Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka or Franck Ribery, Alonso will be the first 'Galactico' of Florentino Perez's second stint as Bernabeu president, according to Spanish newspaper Sport.

Perez is set to re-take his job as early as Monday - two weeks ahead of planned elections - after none of the other prospective presidential candidates was able to stump up the cash guarantee required.

The 62-year-old is only likely to sign one from the trio of Manchester United star Ronaldo, AC Milan's brilliant Brazilian Kaka or Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery.

But he has reportedly already reached an agreement for Spain midfielder Alonso. The paper says the Anfield star had agreed to a deal in principle weeks ago and that Liverpool accepted an offer on Friday.

But there remain a few variables to sort out. Former Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze could go the other way in part-exchange, with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez a long-term admirer of the Argentina international.

Benitez is also said to be keen on striker Alvaro Negredo. Madrid sold the 23-year-old to Almeria but have a buy-back option and Liverpool are said to have wanted him as part of the Alonso deal.

However, the £13m price-tag quoted is too much for Liverpool as they would prefer the cash to target Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.
You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
jono

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 pm

jono wrote:Liverpool 'accept' Real Madrid's £22m Xabi Alonso bid with ex-United star Gabriel Heinze set for Anfield

Xabi Alonso has agreed a £22million move to Real Madrid in a deal that could see Gabriel Heinze move to Liverpool, according to reports in Spain.

Forget Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka or Franck Ribery, Alonso will be the first 'Galactico' of Florentino Perez's second stint as Bernabeu president, according to Spanish newspaper Sport.

Perez is set to re-take his job as early as Monday - two weeks ahead of planned elections - after none of the other prospective presidential candidates was able to stump up the cash guarantee required.

The 62-year-old is only likely to sign one from the trio of Manchester United star Ronaldo, AC Milan's brilliant Brazilian Kaka or Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery.

But he has reportedly already reached an agreement for Spain midfielder Alonso. The paper says the Anfield star had agreed to a deal in principle weeks ago and that Liverpool accepted an offer on Friday.

But there remain a few variables to sort out. Former Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze could go the other way in part-exchange, with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez a long-term admirer of the Argentina international.

Benitez is also said to be keen on striker Alvaro Negredo. Madrid sold the 23-year-old to Almeria but have a buy-back option and Liverpool are said to have wanted him as part of the Alonso deal.

However, the £13m price-tag quoted is too much for Liverpool as they would prefer the cash to target Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

Jono, are these reports from Marca by any chance?  we know Marca like to stir the pot a bit......

Hopefully this is just hearsay.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby GYBS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 pm

I will be gutted and extremly dissappointed if we loose xabi and bring in Hienze and Barry - thats two steps backwards for me and we wont win the title with them next year .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:27 pm

jono wrote:Liverpool 'accept' Real Madrid's £22m Xabi Alonso bid with ex-United star Gabriel Heinze set for Anfield

I wouldnt trust that since its from a spanish report and Benitez has only just said that its all nonsense.

From LFC.TV :

Rafa Benitez has rubbished reports in the Spanish media that an agreement has been reached with Real Madrid for the transfer of Xabi Alonso.
The midfielder has been linked with a move away from Anfield this summer but the Reds boss has poured cold water on suggestions the Spain international is set to leave.
Fauxy

Postby flipmode » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:32 pm

thats good news!!! :D hope true I hate the transfer :censored: around this time of year bring on new season!
ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 pm

aCe' wrote:Done think selling Alonso alone would fung Tevez, Silva, Barry and Johnson.... if we had all this money id rather we kept Alonso and signed only 1 or two of the other lot

Well we all ready have £30 Million so thats Tevez, £20+ Million would fund Silva, Pourtsmouth still owe us a lot of money from the crouch deal so Johnson will be very cheap and we can raise the funds for Barry by selling the likes of Babel, Voronin, Dossena and Lucas  :laugh:

Na just jokin mate, I know we might not be able to get the funds for all those players I just mentioned but it would just be my ideal line up for next year if we sold Alonso.  :upside:
Fauxy

Postby aCe' » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Can we please keep the reports about the Madrid deal and such in the other Alonso thread... pointless really having the same reports and rumours on both threads and i feel this one would be better suited as things stand for footie talk rather than transfer dealings...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 pm

denied on t.v they wouldn't make such a statement if the Real deal was true
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 pm

aCe' wrote:Can we please keep the reports about the Madrid deal and such in the other Alonso thread... pointless really having the same reports and rumours on both threads and i feel this one would be better suited as things stand for footie talk rather than transfer dealings...

Spot on, aCe'.  Mick's started this thread to discuss the footy ramifications of moving Alonso on.  If you want to post the umpteenth version of the same "Alonso's off" news item do it in the other thread and leave this one to discuss Alonso's role in the team (deep-lying defensive midfielder/playmaker) and what we stand to lose if we sell him on (more football matches and the figurative sparkle from Nan's eyes).  Cheers folks.  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:01 pm

As for the topic at hand, I must say I'm surprised just how many people are prepared to see Alonso go this summer.  I'm not sure I would include Rafa in that list but that really depends on how much faith you put in what gets printed in newspapers. I'd be very disappointed in him if he was looking to cash in on Alonso this summer, though.  I don't doubt that he would have a plan in mind in doing so but I still can't see much sense in such a move.

I've said before and I'll say it again--Alonso is a key member of a very good team and, IMO, keeping him is essential.  If we need to make some significant signings--and I agree that at least one game-changer needs to be sought this summer--we simply must find a way to do it without sacrificing Xabi.  For me, you don't make much progress by selling your best players, no matter what their transfer funds allow us to accomplish.

On this point, I've just read the most recent Tomkins missive and think he makes a very astute point:

However, despite some people drawing the obvious conclusions, I see absolutely no reason to expect a repeat of what happened the last time Liverpool finished 2nd in the league.

While the summer of 2002 should serve as a reminder to any team that annual progression isn't automatic, that doesn't mean there are any parallels between then and now.

The problem wasn't so much the players signed in 2002 –– although they proved pretty disastrous –– as those who left the club.

Liverpool lost Robbie Fowler, Gary McAllister, Nick Barmy, Jamie Redknapp, Christian Ziege, Jari Litmanen and Nicolas Anelka over the course, or at the end of that season, while Markus Babbel's unfortunate illness meant he'd played his last game for the Reds, having settled brilliantly in the Treble season.

Link

I think he's got a point when he suggests that Houllier did more damage selling the likes of Fowler, Anelka and Litmanen that year than he did bringing in the deadly duo from Senegal.  I think selling Alonso could be a similar mistake...the proverbial two-steps back in order to take one step forward.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 pm

Bad Bob wrote:As for the topic at hand, I must say I'm surprised just how many people are prepared to see Alonso go this summer.  I'm not sure I would include Rafa in that list but that really depends on how much faith you put in what gets printed in newspapers.  I've said before and I'll say it again--Alonso is a key member of a very good team and, IMO, keeping him is essential.  If we need to make some significant signings--and I agree that at least one game-changer needs to be sought this summer--we simply must find a way to do it without sacrificing Xabi.  For me, you don't make much progress by selling your best players, no matter what their transfer funds allow us to accomplish.

On this point, I've just read the most recent Tomkins missive and think he makes a very astute point:

However, despite some people drawing the obvious conclusions, I see absolutely no reason to expect a repeat of what happened the last time Liverpool finished 2nd in the league.

While the summer of 2002 should serve as a reminder to any team that annual progression isn't automatic, that doesn't mean there are any parallels between then and now.

The problem wasn't so much the players signed in 2002 –– although they proved pretty disastrous –– as those who left the club.

Liverpool lost Robbie Fowler, Gary McAllister, Nick Barmy, Jamie Redknapp, Christian Ziege, Jari Litmanen and Nicolas Anelka over the course, or at the end of that season, while Markus Babbel's unfortunate illness meant he'd played his last game for the Reds, having settled brilliantly in the Treble season.

Link

I think he's got a point when he suggests that Houllier did more damage selling the likes of Fowler, Anelka and Litmanen that year than he did bringing in the deadly duo from Senegal.  I think selling Alonso could be a similar mistake...the proverbial two-steps back in order to take one step forward.

Agreed!!

Hes been the clutch this season,the team around him the gears!!
But you probably would'nt understand that cause you all drive automatics over there!! :D  :rasp
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Number 9 wrote:Hes been the clutch this season,the team around him the gears!!
But you probably would'nt understand that cause you all drive automatics over there!! :D  :rasp

Stick shift all the way for me, Baz.  I only drive automatic on vacation over in your neck of the woods.  There's enough to think about driving on the other side of the road--I don't need to worry about switching gears with the opposite hand/foot either. :no :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion