Would you accept benitez back as manager - Would you accept benitez back as manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Would you accept benitez back as manager - Would you accept benitez back as manager

Yes
31%
No
50%
Undecided
2%
You have to mad
8%
This poll is a waste of time lets keep arguing about Hodgson
9%

Total votes : 154

Postby roberto green » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

jacdaniel wrote:Roy didnt inherit a poor squad.  Its pretty similar to the squad that Rafa was supposed to have challenging for the title last season.  Or at a minimum, finish in the top 4.  I remember people thought it was a disgrace that we finished 7th.  Maybe Roy has succeeded in lowering the expectations?

The fact is, this squad is far superior to any squad Roy has ever managed before.  We had 12 odd players at the the World Cup.  Torres, Reina and Gerrard are all top players.  Kuyt, Cole, Agger, Maxi, Meiriles and johnson are all good players if used correctly.

I admit that we don't have a great squad, thanks to Tom and George failing to invest for a couple of years, but we're much better than our current league position.

Excellent post
roberto green

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:56 am

it makes laugh that some try to defend the team that Rafa left us with and try to blame or poor form on the few players they Roy picked.

the facts are Rafa left us with a team that can play in the prem, the team was built for the CL, but his mistake was forgeting that to get into the CL you have to do well in the prem.

Roy was given the job to make do with what he had untill money come in to build a new team.

lets forget that Roy is the manager, lets say Kenny was the manager, we would almost still be in the same spot, ok i dont think we would have been turned over by everton as easy.

would the same members be calling for kenny to be sacked if he was the manager right now? if you say no and you would give him the chance to build a team then you must say the same to Roy.

we all know Roy is not the person we would have picked as the manager....but he is our manager and he using a team that is not his.

we was once a club of fans that hated the idea of sacking managers yet since Rafa left its the first thing fans say when we get beat.

I only took that Roy was going to be the manager so he could hold up a sinking ship, the board understood the the team was in a very bad way at the end of last year and picked a guy that on paper that could do a lot with not a lot.

i am in two minds over roy, yes i think there are a lot better managers out that that are better for the job...but at the same time i think its unfair to blame roy 100% for the results the team are getting.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm

lakes10 wrote:it makes laugh that some try to defend the team that Rafa left us with and try to blame or poor form on the few players they Roy picked.

the facts are Rafa left us with a team that can play in the prem, the team was built for the CL, but his mistake was forgeting that to get into the CL you have to do well in the prem.

Roy was given the job to make do with what he had untill money come in to build a new team.

lets forget that Roy is the manager, lets say Kenny was the manager, we would almost still be in the same spot, ok i dont think we would have been turned over by everton as easy.

would the same members be calling for kenny to be sacked if he was the manager right now? if you say no and you would give him the chance to build a team then you must say the same to Roy.

we all know Roy is not the person we would have picked as the manager....but he is our manager and he using a team that is not his.

we was once a club of fans that hated the idea of sacking managers yet since Rafa left its the first thing fans say when we get beat.

I only took that Roy was going to be the manager so he could hold up a sinking ship, the board understood the the team was in a very bad way at the end of last year and picked a guy that on paper that could do a lot with not a lot.

i am in two minds over roy, yes i think there are a lot better managers out that that are better for the job...but at the same time i think its unfair to blame roy 100% for the results the team are getting.

2 away wins in 2 and a half seasons, defend that lakes...... :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Ciggy wrote:
lakes10 wrote:it makes laugh that some try to defend the team that Rafa left us with and try to blame or poor form on the few players they Roy picked.

2 away wins in 2 and a half seasons, defend that lakes...... :glare:

you cant, but you can say that Rafa only got 5 more away points last season than roy did.

anyway, the club knew this when they took him on, just think they were looking for a manager that could keep the club from sinking untill the money come in.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 pm

lakes10 wrote:it makes me laugh that some try to defend the team that Rafa left us with

Thats were I and many others will disagree with you.  Its more Tom + George that have left us with the current squad than Rafa.  They failed to invest for the last 2 years or so.  (without selling players first).   

Id actually argue that Rafa did quite well to get players like the Greek and Maxi for a combined value of 1.5M. 

Im not totally defending Rafa though, he did sign some sh.ite players.  But i don't think the squad is terrible.  We could be doing much better if we had a bit more ambition.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 pm

jacdaniel wrote:
lakes10 wrote:it makes me laugh that some try to defend the team that Rafa left us with

Thats were I and many others will disagree with you.  Its more Tom + George that have left us with the current squad than Rafa.  They failed to invest for the last 2 years or so.  (without selling players first).   

Id actually argue that Rafa did quite well to get players like the Greek and Maxi for a combined value of 1.5M. 

Im not totally defending Rafa though, he did sign some sh.ite players.  But i don't think the squad is terrible.  We could be doing much better if we had a bit more ambition.

come on mate, 76 players and he did not leave us with a bench.

he had a hit rate of  1 in 6 buys

when he had good players he sold them or fell out with them and they left.

a few years ago we should have won the prem, Rafa built a good team but did not use them right, the next year he sold a lot of them and built the team we have today, a team that at the end of last season was in the same form as we are in now.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 pm

lakes10 wrote:they were looking for a manager that could keep the club from sinking untill the money come in.

Or a manager that will keep his mouth shut while they continued raping the club

OR a parting shot to the fans by giving them a manager that will make them an average team
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 pm

kazza wrote:
lakes10 wrote:they were looking for a manager that could keep the club from sinking untill the money come in.

OR a parting shot to the fans by giving them a manager that will make them an average team

raping the club ???

if your talking about the results then sure he is just getting the same results as Rafa was near the end of last season?
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:45 pm

lakes10 wrote:
kazza wrote:

raping the club ???

if your talking about the results then sure he is just getting the same results as Rafa was near the end of last season?

Didn't we lose eight matches in the league last year, yet we have lost eight matches so far and we are at the halfway mark.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 pm

kazza wrote:Didn't we lose eight matches in the league last year, yet we have lost eight matches so far and we are at the halfway mark.

we lost 11 games last season
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 pm

lakes10 wrote:Roy was given the job to make do with what he had untill money come in to build a new team.

:D

Yes Roy had to make do with

Pepe Reina (one of the best goalkeepers in Europe)

Jamie Carragher (with all his experience)

Glen Johnson (the best in his position in the league)

Steven Gerrard (says it all)

Dirk Kuyt (The work horse that every team needs)

Lucas (The most improved player at the club)

Maxi (would finally settle in this season)

Torres (best striker in Europe if you (Roy) employs the right tactics)

oh dear me poor Roy

:no
roberto green

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Have to admit, I am proud to declare openly and with hand on heart , I am one of the 48 in this poll who said YES
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 pm

No s4it :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 pm

roberto green wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Roy was given the job to make do with what he had untill money come in to build a new team.

:D

Yes Roy had to make do with

Pepe Reina (one of the best goalkeepers in Europe)

Jamie Carragher (with all his experience)

Glen Johnson (the best in his position in the league)

Steven Gerrard (says it all)

Dirk Kuyt (The work horse that every team needs)

Lucas (The most improved player at the club)

Maxi (would finally settle in this season)

Torres (best striker in Europe if you (Roy) employs the right tactics)

oh dear me poor Roy

:no

yes, shame Rafa could not get the best out of them aswell.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Its really a non argument. Hodgson took over Benitezes squad, good and bad and has had to cope with an uphill climb from day one.
The previous record of Benitez is irrelevant now as he has been sacked twice in 6 months, one of them from a treble winning club
He obviously needs a long rest from football and Im sure he will get it, unless some loon decides to give him a job
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion