Who would you like as new lfc manager - Houllier must go soon!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Who would you like as new lfc manager - Houllier must go soon!

GORDON STRACHAN
4%
MARTIN O'NEILL
70%
KEVIN KEEGAN
11%
JOHN TOSHACK
4%
GLENN HODDLE
No votes
DAVID O'LEARY
2%
VICENTE DEL BOSQUE
7%
GUUS HIDDINK
2%
PHIL THOMPSON
No votes
MICKY ADAMS
No votes

Total votes : 46

Postby greenred » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:34 am

yeah,I just hope we get him.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:37 am

I think you're all assuming that managing an average Premiership club to mid-table and a top Scottish club to the title means he is good enough to manage a top Premiership club. I hear it all the time "if manager x had as much money as manu then we'd be top of the league" It is one of those statements that is unlikely to be tested. In the case of O'Neill it may well be but a few managers have failed given the crunch test and I still compare O'Neill with Souness and justifiably so. Both successful with Scottish championships and successes relative to the club and finances with average Premiership clubs. If you think what O'Neill did in the league with Leicester was impressive then you ought to be in awe of what Moyes did last season with Everton or Curbishley with Charlton. Don't assume that modest success with average clubs automatically means big success with big clubs, you may be right but it doesn't necessarily follow
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 pm

Owzat wrote:I think you're all assuming that managing an average Premiership club to mid-table and a top Scottish club to the title means he is good enough to manage a top Premiership club. I hear it all the time "if manager x had as much money as manu then we'd be top of the league" It is one of those statements that is unlikely to be tested. In the case of O'Neill it may well be but a few managers have failed given the crunch test and I still compare O'Neill with Souness and justifiably so. Both successful with Scottish championships and successes relative to the club and finances with average Premiership clubs. If you think what O'Neill did in the league with Leicester was impressive then you ought to be in awe of what Moyes did last season with Everton or Curbishley with Charlton. Don't assume that modest success with average clubs automatically means big success with big clubs, you may be right but it doesn't necessarily follow

o neill has achieved more as a player and manager than moyes and curbishley put together.Who do you think we should get owzat?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:11 pm

O'Neill has achieved moderate success in England, Curbishley and Moyes haven't had a Celtic in the scots league to boost their success. Most of O'Neill's success in England came in the 3rd choice domestic competition, it is the league we want to win, even Kermit has managed a couple of league cups. Playing career is somewhat irrelevant.

Anyone but Houllier. I just feel so many people have faith in O'Neill he is bound to be a disappointment. Souness seemed a sound choice when he came to Anfield as boss. I really don't know who's available and by the looks of it not many people here do. O'Neill isn't available at the moment and there is no guarantee he would take the Liverpool job. If he does take the Liverpool job the chances of him landing the manc job will become minimal, would he be prepared to sacrifice that "opportunity"?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:21 pm

Oh, the crux with O'Neill has to be how he will handle big name players. He has up to now dealt largely with average players and got the most out of them (so we're lead to believe, who knows how Leicester would have fared had someone else been manager of the same team). One would hope there wouldn't be any average players around if he went to a big club.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:23 pm

Out of the names listed in this poll, I think that John Toshack may be interested and would be a good replacement.
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:28 pm

Trouble is mate, people are now conditioned to bleat out O'Neill's name at the slightest suggestion of a new manager. He has probably broken the world record for most associations with jobs :D I'd certainly question the sanity of going for managers like Hoddle (headcase), Adams (limited experience), O'Leary (cursed) and Keegan (tactically suicidal). I'd personally give it to Thompson as caretaker boss and bide our time. Who knows, given a time in charge Thompson might make a case for himself. He can't do much worse then W6 D4 L6 can he?
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:53 pm

In My opinion Martin Oneill would be a good manager for liverpool but i can't work out why anyone would disregard Strachan.  He took an average team to Anfield last week and bate it up Houlier.  I so wish it was the other way round but sadly no.  For me its a straight fight between Gordon and Martin.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:42 pm

the return of beavis wrote:whats wrong with del bosque Has?, he has quite a good record of winning championships and european cups

Even Cheesy would have a good record with the team Real Madrid have..

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Clifty » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:58 pm

GORDON STRACHAN! Stop me if i'm wrong but didn't he play for a certain bunch of t#s#ers not far away from us, who have gloated over us for the past 10 years! I know he fell out with Ferguson, and he has done a great job at Southampton, but he played for Scum! Might be a bit sensitive here! He couldn't handle a big club like Liverpool, he has steered Southampton into a middle of the table team. We want to win the league! Maybe in a few years time, but Strachan is not ready for the job yet
Clifty

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:30 am

I think owzat is narrow-minded to say the least in his assessment of MON and the fact that Celtic are not a big club. There fan base is probably on the same lines as Liverpools. Just look at the numbers in Seville.

Just because there are only two teams in Scotland doesn't mean they are not big. In Holland, there are only 3, Germany 3, Italy 5, Spain 4 and the premiership? Well, currently 3, but for the past six seasons, 2.

O'neill has been pitting his wits against the best coaches in Europe, with some success, considering the amount of money at his disposal. Tactically, he has had Bayern, Juve, Blackburn, United and Liverpool reeling. And yes the Man U friendly does count cos' Fergie hates going north of the border and losing to his boyhood enemies.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:00 pm

I agree, there is no comparison between oneill, and souness and moyes.Mon was a highly sought after manager before he even arrived in scotland.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:48 am

Martin O'Neill has done well at Celtic and perhaps even he is looking for a bigger challenge. When his achievements in Europe at Celtic and his proven man management skills i.e., getting average players to play out of their skins we can't do much worse than Houllier. Big Sam may have done well at Bolton but perhaps for the Liverpool job, it may be a bit too big for him right now.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:43 am

BRING BACK KENNY ,OR AT LEAST SOMEONE WHO HAS A PASSION FOR LFC
MAYBE THOMMO HE SHOWS HIS PASSION WEEK IN WEEK OUT
          RUSHIE WOW HE GAVE ALL FOR THE POOL
           ALDRIDGE
           SAMMY LEE
           KEEGAN
     I SERIOUSLY THINK AT THIS STAGE WE NEED SOMEONE WHO HAS PASSION FOR THE CLUB TO GET THEM BACK ON TRACK  EVEN IF ITS TEMP FOR ONE YEAR THEY MIGHT CLEAR OUT THE s##t OR MAKE GOOD PLAYERS OUT OF THE s##t .
IF WE MON FAIR ENOUGH HE'LL BRING PASSION TO ANY CLUB
BUT BESIDES HIM I WOULD THINK ABOUT GOING BACK TO THE BOOT ROOM
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big beers close » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:35 pm

Anyone but sven he would keep playing emile.

:blues:
big beers close

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion