Who would you like as new lfc manager - Houllier must go soon!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Who would you like as new lfc manager - Houllier must go soon!

GORDON STRACHAN
4%
MARTIN O'NEILL
70%
KEVIN KEEGAN
11%
JOHN TOSHACK
4%
GLENN HODDLE
No votes
DAVID O'LEARY
2%
VICENTE DEL BOSQUE
7%
GUUS HIDDINK
2%
PHIL THOMPSON
No votes
MICKY ADAMS
No votes

Total votes : 46

Postby Clifty » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:31 pm

Would it be too much too say Dalglish? Guess I'm just being sentimental! To have our greatest player return is too much daydreaming! Be interesting though wouldn't it? But, as thats not going to happen (and not sure it would be the right move?) has to be Martin O' Neill. We have to be quick because if Feguson carrys on with his 'I'm bigger than the club routine' then might not get his new contract. And Tottenham are hovering about. Come on Mr.Moores get on the phone. What is the dialling code for Glasgow?
Clifty

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:33 pm

Dalglish has a fine record in top flight management but has also been disappointing at Newcastle. He's been out to long but I think we shouldn't rule out former players. There is a passion for Liverpool FC in former players and more so than in a two bit "fan" like Houllier who was once in the stands himself and probably didn't have a clue then what was going on.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:50 pm

Please not Kevin Keegan, he has no management skills, apprt from apparnt motivational skills(can't motivate the Man City players right now), and will just buy new player after new player with the resources we have. PLEASE NOT KEEGAN. I would rather have Cheesy in charge than him.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:53 pm

leothelion wrote:HOW BOUT SAMMY LEE LETS GO BACK THE BOOT ROOM THAT WORKED IN THE PAST WHEN EVERY TEAM WAS AFRAID TO COME TO ANFIELD .SAMMY HAS BEEN TRU GOOD AND BAD TIMES AND IS RUMURED TO BE INTERESTED IN MANAGEMENT

I think if Houllier leaves that s##t head Phil Thompson should go with him.

Maybe we should give Sammy Lee the job till the end of the season, and see how he does, and at the same time line up a possible replacement.

Managers are reluctant to leave mid season so if we want a new one we will probarly have to wait until the summer.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecakery » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:59 pm

what about Duncan Elliot ?
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:05 pm

Del Bosque........ :D

1. He can't speak English....some even saw he cannot speak Spanish.

2. Has only three years of managerial experience, managing the best players in the world, not half wits from the Frnch league.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Clifty » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:05 pm

As you have probably worked out by now I am totally an O'Neill man, but how about Gary McAllister as his assistant? Ex-player, bags loads of passion when wearing the red shirt, years of experience. Granted, his term at Coventry hasn't been great, but as a number 2, inspirational!
Clifty

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:08 pm

the return of beavis wrote:
Owzat wrote:I said Leicester and Blackburn have had mixed fortunes not O'Neill at Leicester.

While Toshack may not have had the best of times in one of the toughest leagues in Europe, O'Neill hasn't managed a top club in one.

Celtic are a decent outfit but as I pointed out, Souness managed Rangers to great success in Scotland and look at what happened during his time at Anfield.

What I'm trying to say is, you can't draw conclusions that O'Neill will do well at a top club just because he did well with Leicester and Celtic. The comparisons between Souness and O'Neill are valid. Maybe my preference for Toshack is just a hope back to the old former players being managers days.........

I have to admit John Barnes Granny, Owzat has made a good point about the scottish based managers coming to england thing(e.g Graeme Souness,Walter Smith) it is a completely different ballgame.

Er, aren't you forgetting someone?

What about Mr. Ferguson across the motorway in Manchester! :D

O' Neill played and managed for years in England before going to Scotland.

Walter Smith and Graeme Souness never coached in England (or anywhere else) before coming down south.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:11 pm

Gary McAllister as Martin O Neill's no.2 is a top idea, although O' Neill would want to bring his own men.

I said when McAllister left Liverpool I could see him return one day as manager, and while things haven't gone that well for him at Coventry, I'm sure he'll come good yet. He was done well with no money at Highfield Road.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:12 pm

Clifty wrote:As you have probably worked out by now I am totally an O'Neill man, but how about Gary McAllister as his assistant? Ex-player, bags loads of passion when wearing the red shirt, years of experience. Granted, his term at Coventry hasn't been great, but as a number 2, inspirational!

Good call, but once someone has had the taste for management they will be reluctant to be an asstiant, but maybe he could be considered in the future for the manager job.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:12 pm

Your joking about Del Bosque aren't you?

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:38 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Er, aren't you forgetting someone?

What about Mr. Ferguson across the motorway in Manchester! :D

O' Neill played and managed for years in England before going to Scotland.

Walter Smith and Graeme Souness never coached in England (or anywhere else) before coming down south.

Ferguson is an exception. Are you Gerard in disguise making comparisons with the scotstwat?

I have listed O'Neills achievements in England but to summarise : -

4 top 10 finishes, highest 8th. I believe Kinnear and Redknapp have achieved more with less
2 League Cup wins, the tournament no good teams really take seriously

Walter Smith - you're having a laugh aren't you? What did he ever do at everton? Managed respectability with the skittish national side but not much south of the border

Souness, and I'll throw in Moyes - both achieving respectability but they have neither been given the true test nor proven much with what they've managed.

Trouble with too many scot's managers is they bring in too many scottish players to their teams. Ferguson had that problem at manu and as soon as he went back to the drawing board he achieved success. Remember Leighton and McClair to name two. Add D.Ferguson, Naysmith and all the other journeymen scots in the Premiership and they aren't the quality we used to have in our side (Hansen, Dalglish, Nicol, Wark......)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:27 am

whats wrong with del bosque Has?, he has quite a good record of winning championships and european cups
116-1065305004

Postby greenred » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:30 am

o neill isnt scottish but he has been a succesful manager in that country recently.Infact he has been succesful everywhere ,as a player and a manager.He has proven that hes ready for liverpool.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:31 am

O'Neill is my first choice, he has the passion and the winning mentality and will only accept 1st place, he is no nonsense any player that doesnt want to win goes..
116-1065305004

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion