Gerard houllier - Newcastle manager?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby madred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:08 pm

Sky sports news have just reported that GH is the favourite to land the Newcastle job? I wonder how their fans will take to this?  ???
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:16 pm

Yeah ladbrookes have stopped taking bets on this, I hope he gets the job so we can see how he does at St. James' :;):

I dunno if he will get the job though, cos Freddie Shepard says he wants a Geordie in charge, maybe Bruce will take the job?
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:23 pm

Then Houllier might get the Birmingham job and link up with Emile again? :D
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:27 pm

Whatever happens Good luck to him. We need no longer to criticise his reign and we can reagrd him as a fan. Ive read several interviews with him since his departure and it seems he is having diffuculty letting go, not only of the club but the city, its inhabitants and everything else that goes with being manager of LFC.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:30 pm

I too wish him all the best as i still hold him in such high regard. :)
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quimby » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:43 pm

I think it's too much of a poisoned chalice to wish upon Houllier. I don't want to go off on too much of a tangent, but I'm amazed at how Newcastle treated Robson. He took them from the brink of relegation back into the CL. Then, the chairman agrees to sell their best defender in a back line that is already shakey. The chairman then decides to blow the money on a striker - the one position they seem all right on! It's just ludicrous that Newcastle want to compete with us while the chairman has so little idea of what his team needs. I was annoyed at our loss to Bolton yesterday, but I'm glad I'm not a Newcastle fan!!!
Quimby

Postby madred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:51 pm

While i feel sorry for Bobby Robson you have to say that he wasnt really taking the club as forward as they would like and it would have been a more decent thing if they had parted company with him at the end of last season like we did GH.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:10 pm

i live in the north east and was listening to the legends football phone in tonight. most fans were horrified by suggestions of houllier taking over as their new manager.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby madred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:13 pm

I thought that might be the case as i received loads of stick last season from a geordie saying that he is reason your attendences are down due to his style of football. I then suspected this was the attitude of most of them!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quimby » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:16 pm

madred wrote:While i feel sorry for Bobby Robson you have to say that he wasnt really taking the club as forward as they would like and it would have been a more decent thing if they had parted company with him at the end of last season like we did GH.

True, but I just can't believe how daft Freddy Shepherd was in his desperation to get Rooney. For that £25M they could've bought some excellent defenders, but they're completely clueless. Transfer deadline tomorrow and they're season's down the drain. One less team to compete with us I suppose.
Quimby

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:18 pm

well newcastle have always been known for their attacking style of football ever since keegans days. houllier would soon change that. also, houllier was even worse than robson when it came to wasting money.

all i'll say is houllier must be desperate to get back into football if he takes that job. it's a club in turmoil.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:20 pm

During the Keegan era, they didn't care about defending and played all out attack.  Now under Houllier it would be the complete opposite.

If Houllier takes over at Newcastle I wonder if Thommo will go with him ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby madred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:21 pm

So was our club Stmike when he took over! GH might bring something to Newcastle what they have been craving for so long. A trophy.
Last edited by madred on Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:31 pm

Ive gotta admit its alot easier to wish him good luck at the mo coz I really cant see him taking over at St James but if he did well that would put the cat amongst the pigeons. This forum would be like middle earth, draw your battle lines!!!!!!!
What a quandry, I really do have alot of time for the guy and respect his reign, yeah it went sour and essentially he failed but he could do a really good job there if he can get them to defend like he did with us anyway. I cant see Thomo going there tho, they gave him some terrible abuse.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:44 pm

radoi five live are saying GH has been lined up for over a week to take over from bobby
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion