Who would you like as new lfc manager - Houllier must go soon!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Who would you like as new lfc manager - Houllier must go soon!

GORDON STRACHAN
4%
MARTIN O'NEILL
70%
KEVIN KEEGAN
11%
JOHN TOSHACK
4%
GLENN HODDLE
No votes
DAVID O'LEARY
2%
VICENTE DEL BOSQUE
7%
GUUS HIDDINK
2%
PHIL THOMPSON
No votes
MICKY ADAMS
No votes

Total votes : 46

Postby long sleeved joe » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:17 pm

One man who hasnt been mentioned much amongst potential managers is David O'Leary. One thing i like about Houllier is that i think he's dedicated enough that he would stay for the rest of his life if he could (whether thats good or not i dont know). I think O'Leary was the same at Leeds.  He's been in management for a while now and although he's having a bad time at Villa he's been given a rubbish team and no cash. Where i think he's better than Houllier is in man management eg Angel who is now looking like the kind of striker that £10M should get you. Think what would happen if he could do that with the likes of Diouf. I think Liverpool could get O'Leary easily and if he came he would be 100% committed. My concern about O'Neil is that once here he may look elsewhere, we want someone who would stay as long as 10 or 15 years
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby Kopster AU » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:41 pm

I will firstly say that I am new to this forum so please do not judge me. Houllier has to go plain and simple, then who ever does become Manager needs to begin to rebuild. The best transfer decision GH made was getting Harry Kewell, he needed to push harder to get Duff and Bomsoung , and now Man U are talking to Dijbril Cisse, we need to push harder and sign players of this calibre. Pongolle is great along with Le Tallec but lets get a couple of proven players as well.

I for one hope that Martin O'Neil does come to Anfield. He is a good no nonsense Manager which at this stage is exactly what Liverpool need, time has come to put up or shut up

Aussie Pool Fanatic
Kopster AU

Postby istvan kozma » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:31 pm

if  john  toshack  gets  the  job  shoot  me
istvan kozma

Postby Scott9 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:22 am

I would chose O'Neil out of the managers listed. I think he can get the best out of players with limited ability which LFC have quite a few of at the moment. But i also think he would make some decent signings given sufficient funds.
Years ago i would have said Keegan because  he was a ex player, but because he has managed so many teams in the past you wonder if he has the bottle to last when things are tough. He has been manager of Newcastle, Fulham and Man City in only the last few years not to mention England but he bottled that when he got critised.
Houllier come across as a nice man but he is not the man for Liverpool anymore.
Scott9

Postby simic_ie » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:30 am

I think MON or Strachan for the job. Liverpool should cut their losses and sack Houllier or at least move him elsewhere (upstairs or a scout or something), put Thompson in charge til the end of the season and then get in MON preferably. I dn't think MON will want to go to a Man U or an Arsenal cos then he has to live up to someone else's reputation. He will want to go to a club with something to prove an with money available to him... in my opinion only Liverpool and Newcastle in the Premiership can provide this. ths who say he hasn't proven anything are both right and wrong. Yes he hasn't won any major European titles but then he hasn't had the resources to do so. If he came I think he could even get Heskey playing well. He had John Hartson playing well in the Champions league and he has a lot less ability than Heskey. He could bring Henrik Larsson with him, and that would be an excellent move cos Larsson has at leat a couple more years left. With, maybe, another centre half I think MON could bring the title to Liverpool with the present squad because there is easily enough talent there to do it. Unfortunatley, Owen might not be around next season so Champions Legue qualification is vital for this club to regain its status among europes elite. As for Strachan being unproven and an ex Manc .... true but every manager has to get a chance at a big club sometime and it could be worth the gamble by the board. As for the Manc thing, if it means Liverppol winning things again I'll gladly swallow my pride.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:03 pm

I think we are at the point where the MON thing has become a knee jerk reaction for the lack of success under GH. As a manager I admire him, but I sometimes find him doubtful, tactics wise. But more importantly, he is not available and it is time to move on to those who are capable and available!
I'll go for Toshack and O'Leary, with the latter taking full charge after a season or two.
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby greenred » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:30 pm

O leary is up his own a#se and Toshack is well past it.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:15 pm

If possible I think Roberto Mancini would be good even if he is a foreign coach
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby redandblue » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:13 pm

I cannot believe someone suggested David O'Leary. He is a clown and has won not a thing. Oh, and his judgement is rather suspect. Remember him publishing that book, just at the right time.......I'd stick with GH rather than O'Leary any day.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:06 pm

Oleary is an idiot.But like all true idiots he thinks he is clever.Glenn hoddle is another one.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:16 pm

If GH goes i can't see past MON. You can't say he isn't available and i'm sure he is sat there waiting for an offer to come in from a big club in the premiership. I expect Newcastle may be in for him also with Bobby looking/sounding a bit shaky about his future recently. If not MON then i could could see the club going in for Erickson (assuming Ranieri does enuff to keep his job) What do ya reckon? Erickson for Liverpool?

Of course we could go on and win all our remaining games, the FA cup and the UEFA cup in which case i'd be happy for GH to hang around a bit longer (oops - pig just pooed on me!)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:12 pm

question is can Martin Oneill see past Liverpool.  Anybody wanna place a bet?
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu May 06, 2004 5:07 am

What about any Germany?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby swiss_kopite » Thu May 06, 2004 7:51 am

suppose you mean 'any german'!?!

hitzfeld would be great! he'll leave bayern at latest 2005, but imo already at the end of this season!
swiss_kopite

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu May 06, 2004 8:01 am

What about Matthias?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion