Wheres the hell is rafels new signings? - He must move swiftly

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 72-1090627431 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:59 am

Where the hell is Rafael Benitez's new signings then? ???? ?????
Does he think we can challenge for the league with Houlliers' "Bum boy" gang? ???? ??????

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? it does not take a rocket scientist to see that murphy cannot play at the top level, Hamann is negative, Diouff is poo, Smicer is poo-er, etc etc etc etc etc.

Where the HELL is the "BIG' signings to reinstall confidence in the fans?

Aresenal are in the distance, Chelsea have spent 70+ Million already to strenghten the squad, Man Utd have made some signings, where the hell is LFc's possible title challenge gonna come from? surely not Biscan in Midfield and Hamann?

Something has to be done and quick! chelsea (or Chel-seeya!) dont go and spend 70 million for no reason, and we havent signed anybody of any note so far (barring Cisse). remember, we were 30 points from glory last year.
If we dont sign anyone by the tottenham game in about 2 weeks time, expect the worst next year!
Come on Rafa get your act together and quick, we cannot possibly compete with the current squad, SOme new faces are a MUST!
If you have contacts on the continent use them!
This guy could be another Houllier.
Time is running out!
72-1090627431

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:14 am

Well, according to UEFA.com...

"Only players who are eligible to play for the club concerned on the following dates, and who have been duly registered with the UEFA Administration...are eligible to play in this UEFA club competition:

c) 5 August 2004 (12.00 hours CET): for all matches in the third qualifying round"

In other words, we either get some more players in by Thursday lunchtime, or else we're going to be ill-equipped for the Champions League. If money is a problem for us at the moment (at least on the transfer side), getting knocked out before or in the group stages of the CL is not the best course of action.
ivor_the_injun

Postby charwell » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:40 am

Hustler y don't u move swiftly, too another site perhaps?
charwell

Postby adayinthelife » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:02 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Well, according to UEFA.com...

"Only players who are eligible to play for the club concerned on the following dates, and who have been duly registered with the UEFA Administration...are eligible to play in this UEFA club competition:

c) 5 August 2004 (12.00 hours CET): for all matches in the third qualifying round"

In other words, we either get some more players in by Thursday lunchtime, or else we're going to be ill-equipped for the Champions League. If money is a problem for us at the moment (at least on the transfer side), getting knocked out before or in the group stages of the CL is not the best course of action.

We have until the 5th for any new players for the graz match.

Do you really think we can't beat them with the squad we have ???

We then have another few weeks to sign players that would be elligable for the group stages,so plenty of time to get a few class players. :cool:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:14 am

If any of our midfield players pick up knocks in the coming weeks, I can see us having problems. We just don't have enough quality for that area within the squad for us to take a chance. Even against minnows like this Grazer AK lot.

Bear in mind that they gave Arsenal a game a couple of weeks ago - losing 2-1 against a side which was far from the worst they could've put out. Reyes, Bergkamp, van Persie and Jeffers all figured.
ivor_the_injun

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:03 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:If any of our midfield players pick up knocks in the coming weeks, I can see us having problems. We just don't have enough quality for that area within the squad for us to take a chance. Even against minnows like this Grazer AK lot.

agree Ivor, we have some quality players in midfield like Gerrard and Kewell but it lacks depth, and i hope we do sign at least 1 more midfielder b4 the start of the new seaon (preferably a right wing).
Last edited by LFC #1 on Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:46 am

Say Gerrard and Kewell pull up in training - would you really be confident about us putting out a midfield of something like:

Diao    Biscan   Hamann   Murphy?

With Diouf out in the cold and a couple of injuries to our top midfielders, we'd potentially have 4 players across the middle that half the users of this site were praying would be sold over the summer.

Who'd cover for Kewell? Much as I like Murphy as a utility player in midfield, he's prone to going AWOL in matches and gifting possession to the opposition. Would Rafa bung Riise there and throw Carra in at left back?

For that matter, would anybody in their right mind back Biscan to do a job if Stevie missed a couple of games?

So yeah, I'd like at least one more signing for the midfield before the CL deadline. We've not exactly been the luckiest with injuries over the last couple of years, so I'd be stunned if Benitez looked at the squad and assumed his best 11 were going to be available every week.
ivor_the_injun

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:21 am

Hustler, you may consider that Liverpool paid some 14 million pounds to get someone Houllier wanted to buy, not necessarily Benithez did want to buy him, who although may be described as "very good" by many on this thread still seem overpriced to me and should not have gone ahead unless Benithez really wanted him. I just can't help but wonder how Chelski can get Kezman (who can't stop scoring for PSV) for only 5 million and we did not somehow figure at all in this. This 14 million transfer sum would knock a serious dent in any transfer budget with the exception of Chelski.

Then, there is the small matter of the Thai or whoever are supposed to have invested in the club not materialising.

Liverpool is not exactly at the top of the financial tree and it is true that the gap between the haves and even the "not quite haves" is very large as clubs like manure especially, arsenal and chelski play CL every year which boosts revenue by up to 30 million (if successful).  manure reportedly made some 20 million from the CL last season wheras the winners of the UEFA Cup only make some 5 million.

We have a group of good players, not fantastic but good. What is missing is the proper work ethics (some players have this in abundance - Gerrard is an example), tactical awareness/knowledge and perhaps technical abilities as well. Rafa should be able to make some improvement over Houllier even without major personnel changes.

It is true that we will never be able to win the CL with Houllier's bum boys as you said but at least get to the knock-out phase after the group phase would be a reasonable achievement in his first year without major personnel changes. More important to become a real force at home and gradually become a European power once again.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:49 am

Hustlers Revenge wrote:Where the hell is Rafael Benitez's new signings then? ???? ?????
Does he think we can challenge for the league with Houlliers' "Bum boy" gang? ???? ??????

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? it does not take a rocket scientist to see that murphy cannot play at the top level, Hamann is negative, Diouff is poo, Smicer is poo-er, etc etc etc etc etc.

Where the HELL is the "BIG' signings to reinstall confidence in the fans?

Aresenal are in the distance, Chelsea have spent 70+ Million already to strenghten the squad, Man Utd have made some signings, where the hell is LFc's possible title challenge gonna come from? surely not Biscan in Midfield and Hamann?

Something has to be done and quick! chelsea (or Chel-seeya!) dont go and spend 70 million for no reason, and we havent signed anybody of any note so far (barring Cisse). remember, we were 30 points from glory last year.
If we dont sign anyone by the tottenham game in about 2 weeks time, expect the worst next year!
Come on Rafa get your act together and quick, we cannot possibly compete with the current squad, SOme new faces are a MUST!
If you have contacts on the continent use them!
This guy could be another Houllier.
Time is running out!

Well Hustler, looks like we can't afford any more big signings this season and Rafa will be forced to play bumps like Hamann and Murphy. And who knows, Rafa could turned out to be a poor imitation of Houller and we hired the wrong manager this summer. We might not even win the league or CL so it looks like it's going to be a dissapointing season for you.

May I suggest you head towards london, pick up a blue shirt on the way and get a season ticket at the Bridge. Wise up, you have better things to do than to bitch like an old fart in this little forum.

For the rest of us, we look towards the start of the season. We believe in Benitez and the team he picked. Win, lose or draw, we know we are getting there...

Me, I am in for the long term  :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:08 am

Agreed, Santa, we should be in it for the long term.

I believe Rafa knows what he wanta and having been a winner with limited budget, he can instill a fresh prospective to improve the present squad. Like I said earlier, let's concentrate on progressing very far in the CL and get a lot of the CL revenue and make real progress in the EPL. Don't be tempted to blow money to buy overrated players only to find that they can't fit into our style of play and then end with an expensive misfit who refuses to move and take a pay cut even if this actually improve their career prospects.

Hmm...how many of these of Houllier duds do we still have rotting in the reserves yet taking big undeserved chunks of Liverpool's money in their wages?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:24 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Say Gerrard and Kewell pull up in training - would you really be confident about us putting out a midfield of something like:

Diao    Biscan   Hamann   Murphy?

With Diouf out in the cold and a couple of injuries to our top midfielders, we'd potentially have 4 players across the middle that half the users of this site were praying would be sold over the summer.

Who'd cover for Kewell? Much as I like Murphy as a utility player in midfield, he's prone to going AWOL in matches and gifting possession to the opposition. Would Rafa bung Riise there and throw Carra in at left back?

For that matter, would anybody in their right mind back Biscan to do a job if Stevie missed a couple of games?

So yeah, I'd like at least one more signing for the midfield before the CL deadline. We've not exactly been the luckiest with injuries over the last couple of years, so I'd be stunned if Benitez looked at the squad and assumed his best 11 were going to be available every week.

exactly my thoughts mate, The lack of a depth is a prblem and we have to pray in hope that Gerrard and Kewell don't get injured.

Ideally we would sign a CM and RM, but perhaps we don't have the funds to do this, maybe we are waiting to qualify for the champions league to get the revenue from that.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:27 am

azriahmad wrote:More important to become a real force at home and gradually become a European power once again.

exactly right Azriah, to be a force in Europe again we have to be a force in our own league, we need the champions league for the revenue it creates, but I believe we should be more focused on being champions of England again, rather than champions of Europe.

For us, Europe is an added bonus at the moment, our mainpriority should be winning the premiership.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:34 am

A major championship year i.e. World Cup, Euro etc. tend to produce some surprise performances from players who are not well known before the tournament and this tend to make them overnight stars with a very high surge in their prices. Lucky we did not fall into that mad rush and sign a couple of one tournament wonders on hefty wages and thereafter couldn't even put decent performances - Diouf, Diao are good examples.

I believe in Rafa as he is a proven winner and I believe he can do better than Houllier even with more or less the same bunch of players.

Go Rafa!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:04 am

how many times man.....
if we want that kno*head to go then stop replying to his posts. act like he's not there.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:08 am

I don't think the money we all assume we have, is actually there.  Don't forget that the stadium will cost around 90 million euros, thats quite abit of money.  I think we may see one more signing due to Smicer's injury but for this season I doubt we have a whole lot of money after Cisse
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion