Trophies vs league points - What would you prefer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Obviously in an ideal world, we would get off to a flyer this season, maintain it, people would keep saying we'd slip up, but we wouldn't and we'd go from strength to strength and lift the league title for the first time in over a decade.  Not only that, but a mixture of youth and squad players would take us all the way in both domestic cup competitions before the first team lifted the champions league amazingly for the second year in a row having eliminated Man U, Everton and Chelsea along the way.  Crouch would win the European golden boot and Carra would get Fifa world player of the year

Now I'm a realist and this ain't gonna happen.  My slight concern is that the fans will expect too much from Rafa next season.  If we get 20 points more in the league next year it will be a massive improvement and good work by Rafa, however there is the possibility that despite doing that we don't win any trophies and some people would see that as a let-down.  We are building for the long term here and will possibly have 8 new players by the start of the new season who may need time to bed in.  It won't all be plain sailing like it has been against Kaunas and TNS.

I think the league will be tighter this year, all the top teams will take points off each other and one team won't run away with it like chelsea this year.  A good season for us showing steady improvement would be getting within 10-15 points of the eventual champions (we're not going to bridge a 30 point gap in one season).  The cup competitions are impossible to predict.  We should make it past the group stage of the champions league, but after that it's down to luck of the draw, form and injuries - anything can happen as proven in the last 2 seasons.

I'd take solid improvement in the league performance over trophies next year (don't get me wrong though I'll be over the moon if we win a trophy as well!!).  What would be your preference next season (realistically!)?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:14 pm

I'll take league improvement. Rafa's main goal is to win the Premiership, in order for ur to do that we need to improve.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:15 pm

i`d just like to be in with a shout when we get to the final month or so, its probably unrealistic to think we can win it but to be part of the shake up would be a great step forward.
even when we finished second under houllier the league was well out of reach and we leapfrogged united when the prizes had already been handed out.
the last time we had a genuine chance of winning the league near the seasons end was under evans when we fell apart at villa when a lot of pundits thought we might pip united and win it. (the infamous fourth in a two horse race season)

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Indian » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:18 pm

Good post, whilst its essential that we close the gap and finish in the top 4th (hopefully higher than 4th if we can), Benitez's reign will only be judged by trophies.  It would be great if we could close the gap by 15-20 points this coming season but winning one of the cups must also be a priority as success can sometimes breed success.
Red Indian

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:22 pm

Intertsing post!!
I'd have to say i think the league is more important this year as well!!Dont think we'll win it but second to Chelsea would be great!!
What id love to see is passion from all the players at every game,and a stronger effort especially away from home!! We lost and drew with too many inferior teams last seaon and it hurts when we all know we should'nt really be dropping these points!
We can still dream of the treble though,its football after all anythings possible! :D
66-1120597113

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:27 pm

in an ideal world i'd like both a high league position and trophies.
but if i had to choose, it would be trophies......DEFINATELY!
because you can't show of 3rd/4th place whereas you can with trophies.
also, a managers job at liverpool is based on  how many trophies you win...mainly anyway.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:29 pm

I think we can improve and win a couple of trophies at the same time imo.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:31 pm

We should be sharper than our rivals at the start of the season after 6 CL qualifiers and I can see us having a decent start to the season.  Hopefully with our squad depth now improved we are equiped to stay near the top of the table throughout the season.

Our problem the last couple of years has been poor form especially in the first half of the season which has meant we have been hovering between 4th and 8th for a lot of the season and playing catch-up.  This year will be different I reckon
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:32 pm

A.B. wrote:I think we can improve and win a couple of trophies at the same time imo.

that weren't the question though mate.
i'm sure everyone thinks that as well but the question was what would you PREFER, trophies or improved league position?

sorry to sound petty!  :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:32 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:in an ideal world i'd like both a high league position and trophies.
also, a managers job at liverpool is based on  how many trophies you win...mainly anyway.

That would be great!! But 3 or 4th gets us into champs league!! We need 2 be there every yr without exception or the season would be a failure!
66-1120597113

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:34 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
passmeistro_#14 wrote:in an ideal world i'd like both a high league position and trophies.

That would be great!! But 3 or 4th gets us into champs league!! We need 2 be there every yr without exception or the season would be a failure!

yea i suppose you have a point there!
if you win the champions league does that mean a guaranteed entry in the competition next year? or have they changed the rule again?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:37 pm

U wudnt know with Uefa mate!! Thats why i wudnt like to take a chance and sweat on it again!!
66-1120597113

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:39 pm

I agree that in basic terms, trophies are much better than 3rd/4th.

Compare our trophy last year to everton coming 4th and obviously I'd rather be in our shoes, but the difference is that 4th was a flash in the pan season for them and the only way for them is down.  If we came 3rd next year and were pretty close to the champions, then it'd be a sign we were going in the right direction.

Steady improvement is good for the club, but I suppose if I was being really selfish I'd want trophies right away because winning stuff is the best excuse for going on a bender for a couple of days!!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:40 pm

Surely they've changed the rule now!!
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:41 pm

john craig wrote:We should be sharper than our rivals at the start of the season after 6 CL qualifiers and I can see us having a decent start to the season.  Hopefully with our squad depth now improved we are equiped to stay near the top of the table throughout the season.

Our problem the last couple of years has been poor form especially in the first half of the season which has meant we have been hovering between 4th and 8th for a lot of the season and playing catch-up.  This year will be different I reckon

i agree john, its absolutley imperative that we get off to a flyer for self confidence if nothing else. i dont think this side has the belief `yet` that we can actually win the league never mind coming from miles behind like we used to do years ago so if we are going to have any chance we` ve got to go toe to toe with the pacemakers and hope we can pick up self belief along the way.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion