Trophies vs league points - What would you prefer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:43 pm

if only ALL the players had the same desire as carra, gerrard and now even alonso.
we would be AWESOME!  :buttrock
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:46 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
john craig wrote:We should be sharper than our rivals at the start of the season after 6 CL qualifiers and I can see us having a decent start to the season.  Hopefully with our squad depth now improved we are equiped to stay near the top of the table throughout the season.

Our problem the last couple of years has been poor form especially in the first half of the season which has meant we have been hovering between 4th and 8th for a lot of the season and playing catch-up.  This year will be different I reckon

i agree john, its absolutley imperative that we get off to a flyer for self confidence if nothing else. i dont think this side has the belief `yet` that we can actually win the league never mind coming from miles behind like we used to do years ago so if we are going to have any chance we` ve got to go toe to toe with the pacemakers and hope we can pick up self belief along the way.

Yep thats the way I see it, and what also worries me is that with the european super cup, the games against Sofia (probably) and the world club cup, we are going to fall behind in games played, so this makes it even more vital that we get a few wins under the belt early on, otherwise as you say we have a mountain to climb psychologically that this squad is probably not ready for.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:49 pm

john craig wrote:If we came 3rd next year and were pretty close to the champions, then it'd be a sign we were going in the right direction.

I hear you John, but the thing is that is not always the case, because we finished second behind Arsenal a few years ago ie; it went 4th, 3rd, 2nd and I (probably like others too) then expected/hoped to finish the sequence......But we didnt!!!

However, what is in our favour if we finish (as you say) third and closer to the leaders, is that we will not plateau like we did under GH, as this is just the beginning of the revamp that Rafa is doing!!  So you are probably right, it will be a sign of us heading in the right direction.

S.hit, just bring on the season FFS!!!!!!!    :D
76-1115222408

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:56 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
john craig wrote:If we came 3rd next year and were pretty close to the champions, then it'd be a sign we were going in the right direction.

I hear you John, but the thing is that is not always the case, because we finished second behind Arsenal a few years ago ie; it went 4th, 3rd, 2nd and I (probably like others too) then expected/hoped to finish the sequence......But we didnt!!!

However, what is in our favour if we finish (as you say) third and closer to the leaders, is that we will not plateau like we did under GH, as this is just the beginning of the revamp that Rafa is doing!!  So you are probably right, it will be a sign of us heading in the right direction.

I knew someone was gonna bring up the 4th, 3rd, 2nd sequence under Houllier :D

Can't see us plateauing under Rafa as you say though.  And I still believe to this day that if Houllier had coughed up the cash for Duff after we came 2nd instead of buying the infamous trio (Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou), then things could have been so different.

Ah well, everything happens for a reason, and we are in good hands with Rafa at the helm, I can't wait for the season to start
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:57 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:

i know what you mean mate!
i am absolutely desperate to watch liverpool play again and to see how we play this year! so much to look forward too-
-champions league football again!
-carling cup/f.a cup
-super cup!
-club championship
-premierleague
-derby matches (everton/manure)
-new signings playng (crouchy/zenden/momo/reina)
-new signings coming (barragan/gonzales)

(thinking about it we COULD win 6 trophy's this season!)

forget the treble! c'mon the sixtetable! (is that even right?)
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:58 pm

that weren't the question though mate.
i'm sure everyone thinks that as well but the question was what would you PREFER, trophies or improved league position?

sorry to sound petty

You miss the point where I don't care, I've already said that I would prefer league improvement but I think both can be accomplished at the same time.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dosserboy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:00 pm

League points! second place to be exact, which IMO is realistic. Don't think we can win it for a few more years whilst Abramovich is at the helm at Chelski. Winning the champions League last season will keep me going for a few seasons, but we have to do better in the league.
dosserboy

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:09 pm

dosserboy wrote:League points! second place to be exact, which IMO is realistic. Don't think we can win it for a few more years whilst Abramovich is at the helm at Chelski. Winning the champions League last season will keep me going for a few seasons, but we have to do better in the league.

what makes you think we have what it takes to compete with arsenal for 2nd place?? and i thought competing for 3rd was optimistic! sorry to be negative but arsenal have one thing that we don't an goalscoring machine in henry, however having said that, arsenal don't have what we have in depth quality in centre midfield.

gilberto and fabregas Vs gerrard and alonso.....Hmm i wonder who would win that battle!  :eyebrow
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dosserboy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:26 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:
dosserboy wrote:League points! second place to be exact, which IMO is realistic. Don't think we can win it for a few more years whilst Abramovich is at the helm at Chelski. Winning the champions League last season will keep me going for a few seasons, but we have to do better in the league.

what makes you think we have what it takes to compete with arsenal for 2nd place?? and i thought competing for 3rd was optimistic! sorry to be negative but arsenal have one thing that we don't an goalscoring machine in henry, however having said that, arsenal don't have what we have in depth quality in centre midfield.

gilberto and fabregas Vs gerrard and alonso.....Hmm i wonder who would win that battle!  :eyebrow

Liverpool have a better all round team now IMO and Arsenal and Henry in particular will miss Viera bigtime. You are right our midfield IS stronger than Arsenal's and Man U's for that matter. I think that over the course of the season this will tell. You are right, Henry is a goal machine but can he have an injury free season again?
dosserboy

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:53 pm

if henry does get injured long term i really do believe arsenal will struggle. reyes has not quite come to terms with english football, bergkamp is getting on a bit now as well so that would leave most of the goals to some from midfield,i.e-pires and ljunberg(spelling?) and that ent good enough.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:32 pm

john craig wrote:I agree that in basic terms, trophies are much better than 3rd/4th.

Trophies arebetter than 2nd,3rd and 4th...in fact ask any Arsenal player /fan would they have swapped 2nd and the F.A.Cup for Big Ears and I'm sure there would be a resounding, yes please!, crying out from Highbury.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:35 pm

supersub wrote:
john craig wrote:I agree that in basic terms, trophies are much better than 3rd/4th.

Trophies arebetter than 2nd,3rd and 4th...in fact ask any Arsenal player /fan would they have swapped 2nd and the F.A.Cup for Big Ears and I'm sure there would be a resounding, yes please!, crying out from Highbury.

It depends where they would have finished in the League
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:36 pm

They finished 2nd and won the fa cup!!!!
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:37 pm

No I mean if they won the CL where would they finish in the League
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:43 pm

supersub wrote:

yeah, in general terms trophys are better than 2nd, 3rd etc but i do think we need to break the top three cabal of recent years to give ourselves a bit of belief and a platform to go on and win the title.
the title is the holy grail to this club.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion