Highest EVER points tally at this point in the CL - Top of the Premier League

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
bigmick wrote:The strangest thing to me is we have a title challenge thread which is deleted, but then we have 'nah-nah, n-nah-nah" threads after 16 games of the Premiership. Very odd.

It's not like any of what's happened so far is massively surprising to the "moaners" I shouldn't think. We've started selecting more consistently in the league and we're getting much more consistent results, and we've qualified out of the Champions League group stages as we and all the other English teams always do. It's lovely, I'm over the moon about it all but I don't see it as hard enough evidence quite yet to be championing ourselves in such a way. We've made a decent start, no more, no less.

We are always though one brainstorm away from a bliiiiiiiiip. It would only take a Fratton Park to derail us, and as the pressure is now cranking up it could all end very quickly. I've no doubts that from here Chelsea will win practically every match, and Man Utd also. One of our little periods where we pick a strange team, lose, then take two or three games to get going again and we'd be gone for all money.

I couldn't personally care mless how we are playing in the broader scheme of things, but that'd be my main worry. I wouldn't be too concerned who we draw in the Champions League, the main thing to worry about is whether we will avoid one of the other three English teams in the last eight. As we proved last season, if you have to play three English teams on the bounce it's a huge ask. It's probably no coincidence that Man Utd only had to play one and won it. The group stage points total though is completely irrelevent. If people want to celebrate that then peachy, but it means nothing. Just like if we won the Premiership with the record LOW points total for winners, or if we finished up with less points than our "record points total :D", who gives a feck as long as we win it?

My one fear with the Champions League is that as we progress, the temptation to get a bit stylie will become ever greater. THAT concerns me much more than how we're playing, who we'll draw in the last 16 etc.

Mick, you are turning into a right moaning tw@t of late, if you want to do the moderators job just ask and you will be reinstated, if you dont want to (as is the case) then stop bleeting on about it.

This thread is a sarcastic poke at the mood of people on here, there is no suggestion of winnign anything, this is hte bit I personally am uneasy about in any thread about winning leagues.

Disclaimer - I am not too bothered what people think of me, I am a kn.ob head and an arrogant tw@t and a rubbish moderator and a fat get

Guilty as charged and a fair call mucker  :( . You're right about me not wanting to do the modding, and wrong about you being rubbish at at it. In fact, your whole "disclaimer" is wrong, apart from maybe the fat bit   :eyebrow

No but I was peeved off about the deleted thread as I'd just done a fecking long post and it disappeared. But you're right my going on about it is/was probably even more boring than the original post would have been. Fair cop and I'll shut me gob about it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:16 pm

tonyeh wrote:
bigmick wrote:The strangest thing to me is we have a title challenge thread which is deleted, but then we have 'nah-nah, n-nah-nah" threads after 16 games of the Premiership. Very odd.

It's not like any of what's happened so far is massively surprising to the "moaners" I shouldn't think. We've started selecting more consistently in the league and we're getting much more consistent results, and we've qualified out of the Champions League group stages as we and all the other English teams always do. It's lovely, I'm over the moon about it all but I don't see it as hard enough evidence quite yet to be championing ourselves in such a way. We've made a decent start, no more, no less.

We are always though one brainstorm away from a bliiiiiiiiip. It would only take a Fratton Park to derail us, and as the pressure is now cranking up it could all end very quickly. I've no doubts that from here Chelsea will win practically every match, and Man Utd also. One of our little periods where we pick a strange team, lose, then take two or three games to get going again and we'd be gone for all money.

I couldn't personally care mless how we are playing in the broader scheme of things, but that'd be my main worry. I wouldn't be too concerned who we draw in the Champions League, the main thing to worry about is whether we will avoid one of the other three English teams in the last eight. As we proved last season, if you have to play three English teams on the bounce it's a huge ask. It's probably no coincidence that Man Utd only had to play one and won it. The group stage points total though is completely irrelevent. If people want to celebrate that then peachy, but it means nothing. Just like if we won the Premiership with the record LOW points total for winners, or if we finished up with less points than our "record points total :D", who gives a feck as long as we win it?

My one fear with the Champions League is that as we progress, the temptation to get a bit stylie will become ever greater. THAT concerns me much more than how we're playing, who we'll draw in the last 16 etc.

I s'pose I am one of the "moaners". I've been fairly critical of Liverpool over the past few months, but I know where most on each "side" are coming from.

I personnally think it doesn't matter a damn if you're on top by one point in December. The only time "top of the league" really matters is when there is 38 games played.

I also think that most people who are worried or "moaning" are simply being realistic. Liverpool, in general, are not playing well on a week to week basis and that makes people feel that they are walking a bit of a tightrope and are constantly staring over their shoulder into the abyss. If Liverpool were playing in a more consistant fashion and doing the biz against the so called lesser teams, then not only would they be multiple points clear, but the "moaning" would be non-existant.

The fact is and it's been pointed out time and time again, is that Liverpool have scraped by in a number of games. Yes other teams have done that, but when Man Utd scored against Sunderland, with their Satanic-pact trademark Late Goal™, I was screaming. But, it felt like it was coming from the first whistle and in the end I just threw my eyes to the heavens and accepted the enevitable. However, when Liverpool score a late one, I'm wiping the sweat from my brow and wondering whether I should go to the doctor with my irregular heartbeat. It's not I have more of an emotional stake in a Liverpool win, but because for much of far too many games, Liverpool simply don't look like scoring.

I know the present league position is great, but are Liverpool really doing that much different in general play from last year? I'm not so sure. The problems of the last few sesaons are still with the team and especially notable is the lack of finishing quality and an inability to break down teams. That makes every game impossible to call, which in one way is good but in another bad for one's health.

Anyway, I think we are all enjoying the season in our different ways, even the "moaners". Roll on Hull, which I think will be a good match and if we're still on top by Christmas day, that'll be an extra present for everybody on here.

I think the main difference in our play is in the last 10 minutes, where as last year we were conceeding ridiculous goals late on to Titus Bramble off of set peices and now this year we are snatching winners sometimes after going down a goal.
JoeTerp

Postby Madmax » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:13 am

well whoopti doo for the o'doyls
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:02 am

JoeTerp wrote:I think the main difference in our play is in the last 10 minutes, where as last year we were conceeding ridiculous goals late on to Titus Bramble off of set peices and now this year we are snatching winners sometimes after going down a goal.

I do like our newfound "resolve", able to turn games around instead of conceding late equalisers. However, we didn't need to last season. So is it better that we can come back when we need to, but also have failed to score in FOUR 0-0 draws, or is it better to have not needed to come from behind and have drawn only three games 0-0 ? I don't believe we lost from in front in the first 16 games.

After 16 games : 07/08 vs 08/09

Wins : 8 vs 11
Draws : 6 vs 4
Losses : 2 vs 1
Goals scored: 27 vs 24
Goals conceded : 10 vs 9
Clean Sheets : 9 vs 10

Came from behind to win : 1 vs 4
Scored equaliser : 1 vs 0
Conceded equaliser : 2 vs 0 (Arsenal and Chelsea at home)
Won and never behind : 7 vs 7

0 goals : 4 vs 4
1 goal : 4 vs 4
2 goals : 5 vs 4
3 goals : 1 vs 4
4+ goals : 2 vs 0

By this stage last season we'd played Arsenal and Chelsea (home) and Man Utd (away) We'd lost twice, but had been dropping too many points to draws at home (four) The spread of goals has been much better, but we can't keep coming from behind and drawing 0-0 as frequently as we have. We talk of the mancs doing it as a "sign of champions", but the fact is we've been having to do it and even our wins that weren't from behind were mostly late shows or close calls. West Brom and the bitters are the only two games I can recall we've won and there's not been a need for late scoring or ruled out goals just before half-time etc

But we are seven points better off after 16 games, albeit on a comparison with the respective fixtures last season we're only two points better off - recently re-gained by virtue of beating Blackburn away this season compared to 0-0 there last season.

But either way our final league position is determined at the end of the season not the end of November/beginning of December. Our inability to put away ordinary teams is a worry, our ability to come from behind against decent teams is a plus. If we're still there or thereabouts by the time we play our 'big four' rivals again then we've a serious shout, the difficulty is staying up there and that's going to require maintaining this kind of (relentless) pace.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:12 am

bigmick wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Mick, you are turning into a right moaning tw@t of late, if you want to do the moderators job just ask and you will be reinstated, if you dont want to (as is the case) then stop bleeting on about it.

This thread is a sarcastic poke at the mood of people on here, there is no suggestion of winnign anything, this is hte bit I personally am uneasy about in any thread about winning leagues.

Disclaimer - I am not too bothered what people think of me, I am a kn.ob head and an arrogant tw@t and a rubbish moderator and a fat get

Guilty as charged and a fair call mucker  :( . You're right about me not wanting to do the modding, and wrong about you being rubbish at at it. In fact, your whole "disclaimer" is wrong, apart from maybe the fat bit   :eyebrow

No but I was peeved off about the deleted thread as I'd just done a fecking long post and it disappeared. But you're right my going on about it is/was probably even more boring than the original post would have been. Fair cop and I'll shut me gob about it.

MAke sure that you do. :angry:
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:09 am

Bam wrote:

:D

Thats not a disclaimer, its a character reference.

:D  that was funny bam  :D

shouldnt laugh but funny all the same
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion