Trophies vs league points - What would you prefer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:47 pm

If we get 2nd in the league which we can thtall be a big improvement in the league but also we shud be winnin the other trophies or at least gettin a gd run in them.
The possibilities:
premiership
f.a cup
league cup
Champions league
Super cup
World club cup

Dnt think av forgotten any....How gd if we won them all :D  :D  :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:49 pm

I would be happy with runners up in the super cup   :D  :D
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:31 am

yea, and i would be happy if got far in the world club championship.....semi-finals would do me! :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 am

I'd ar*e-hole out for the league and CL. If we can close the gap and win the CL again, I'd be delighted. S*d the CC and FA cup. Yes theres a certain romance about the FA cup, but if we are being honest it's now about as important as a quality toilet roll. - Preferable, but not essential.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:07 am

it's now about as important as a quality toilet roll. - Preferable, but not essential.

FFS......you crack me up...........FPMSL  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:D
76-1115222408

Postby The King of LFC Newkit » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:42 am

hey dudes!  :p
The King of LFC Newkit

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:02 am

The King of LFC Newkit wrote:
john craig wrote:Obviously in an ideal world, we would get off to a flyer this season, maintain it, people would keep saying we'd slip up, but we wouldn't and we'd go from strength to strength and lift the league title for the first time in over a decade.  Not only that, but a mixture of youth and squad players would take us all the way in both domestic cup competitions before the first team lifted the champions league amazingly for the second year in a row having eliminated Man U, Everton and Chelsea along the way.  Crouch would win the European golden boot and Carra would get Fifa world player of the year

Now I'm a realist and this ain't gonna happen.  My slight concern is that the fans will expect too much from Rafa next season.  If we get 20 points more in the league next year it will be a massive improvement and good work by Rafa, however there is the possibility that despite doing that we don't win any trophies and some people would see that as a let-down.  We are building for the long term here and will possibly have 8 new players by the start of the new season who may need time to bed in.  It won't all be plain sailing like it has been against Kaunas and TNS.

I think the league will be tighter this year, all the top teams will take points off each other and one team won't run away with it like chelsea this year.  A good season for us showing steady improvement would be getting within 10-15 points of the eventual champions (we're not going to bridge a 30 point gap in one season).  The cup competitions are impossible to predict.  We should make it past the group stage of the champions league, but after that it's down to luck of the draw, form and injuries - anything can happen as proven in the last 2 seasons.

I'd take solid improvement in the league performance over trophies next year (don't get me wrong though I'll be over the moon if we win a trophy as well!!).  What would be your preference next season (realistically!)?

I dont think we can win the league for about 5 YEARS!

Thats not just what i think, that is a FACT!

I think we have to rely on more than just Rafa's "tactics" to win us the premiership, possibly the most quickest and physically demanding league.

It doesn't inspire confidence when he signs relatively "unknowns" from the spanish second division, who have never heard of Arsenal Man Utd or Chelsea.

Chelsea dont go spending 22m on wright phillips, 32m for a possible essien move, man Utd 27m for Ferdinand, 18m for van Nistlerooy, and 27m for Rooney, for a "good Laugh" ! and we p*ss around about sepnding a measly 2m for Figo.  but throw 7m of LFC fan's money on CROUCH! form a team who get relagated.

I'll bet anyone in this forum he scores less than 15 goals in the league this season! possible less than 10.

rafa makes mistakes, namely Pellegrino, Nunez etc.

I hope he knows what he's doing.

remember , had we not won the CL trophym last season would have been nightmare. But it's only rafa's first season.

If we do the same again this season winning the CL ill take my hat off to him, but that is a longshot. NO_ONE has EVER retained the Champions League title.
Champions league is so much easier to win than the league, as Its a cup competition and anyone can beat anyone on the night. But in terms of quality, look at us Versus Chelsea at Anfield, we were on the back foot for 90% of the game! Harldy a class showing from FC we were hanging on for dear life! SHanks would be upset if he was watching!
I can see a struggle for 4th again with the Blue sh*t, honeslty I can.

Our team for next season, similar to last;

Reina

Finna    carra    Hypia       Risse/ traore

Garcia   Alonso  Gerrard    Risse/Zenden

Cisse  Morrientes

Subs, sissoko,hamann, pongolle,letallec, gonzalez,

So virtually the same team as last season, and no world class signings.

Shame on you Rafa! you tactic boy. we need to invest some hard cash on the worlds best if we want to see the league again.

I think we'd get bottom-breached with that subs bench. Here's me thinking it wise to have a Goalkeeper and centre half on the bench!
Also, where did you buy your Crystal ball? I could have sworn that the future hasn't happened yet, ergo making your "FACT" statement about as useful as a Dulux roller at a fine-art gallery.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:47 pm

The King of LFC Newkit wrote:
john craig wrote:Obviously in an ideal world, we would get off to a flyer this season, maintain it, people would keep saying we'd slip up, but we wouldn't and we'd go from strength to strength and lift the league title for the first time in over a decade.  Not only that, but a mixture of youth and squad players would take us all the way in both domestic cup competitions before the first team lifted the champions league amazingly for the second year in a row having eliminated Man U, Everton and Chelsea along the way.  Crouch would win the European golden boot and Carra would get Fifa world player of the year

Now I'm a realist and this ain't gonna happen.  My slight concern is that the fans will expect too much from Rafa next season.  If we get 20 points more in the league next year it will be a massive improvement and good work by Rafa, however there is the possibility that despite doing that we don't win any trophies and some people would see that as a let-down.  We are building for the long term here and will possibly have 8 new players by the start of the new season who may need time to bed in.  It won't all be plain sailing like it has been against Kaunas and TNS.

I think the league will be tighter this year, all the top teams will take points off each other and one team won't run away with it like chelsea this year.  A good season for us showing steady improvement would be getting within 10-15 points of the eventual champions (we're not going to bridge a 30 point gap in one season).  The cup competitions are impossible to predict.  We should make it past the group stage of the champions league, but after that it's down to luck of the draw, form and injuries - anything can happen as proven in the last 2 seasons.

I'd take solid improvement in the league performance over trophies next year (don't get me wrong though I'll be over the moon if we win a trophy as well!!).  What would be your preference next season (realistically!)?

I dont think we can win the league for about 5 YEARS!

Thats not just what i think, that is a FACT!

I think we have to rely on more than just Rafa's "tactics" to win us the premiership, possibly the most quickest and physically demanding league.

It doesn't inspire confidence when he signs relatively "unknowns" from the spanish second division, who have never heard of Arsenal Man Utd or Chelsea.

Chelsea dont go spending 22m on wright phillips, 32m for a possible essien move, man Utd 27m for Ferdinand, 18m for van Nistlerooy, and 27m for Rooney, for a "good Laugh" ! and we p*ss around about sepnding a measly 2m for Figo.  but throw 7m of LFC fan's money on CROUCH! form a team who get relagated.

I'll bet anyone in this forum he scores less than 15 goals in the league this season! possible less than 10.

rafa makes mistakes, namely Pellegrino, Nunez etc.

I hope he knows what he's doing.

remember , had we not won the CL trophym last season would have been nightmare. But it's only rafa's first season.

If we do the same again this season winning the CL ill take my hat off to him, but that is a longshot. NO_ONE has EVER retained the Champions League title.
Champions league is so much easier to win than the league, as Its a cup competition and anyone can beat anyone on the night. But in terms of quality, look at us Versus Chelsea at Anfield, we were on the back foot for 90% of the game! Harldy a class showing from FC we were hanging on for dear life! SHanks would be upset if he was watching!
I can see a struggle for 4th again with the Blue sh*t, honeslty I can.

Our team for next season, similar to last;

Reina

Finna    carra    Hypia       Risse/ traore

Garcia   Alonso  Gerrard    Risse/Zenden

Cisse  Morrientes

Subs, sissoko,hamann, pongolle,letallec, gonzalez,

So virtually the same team as last season, and no world class signings.

Shame on you Rafa! you tactic boy. we need to invest some hard cash on the worlds best if we want to see the league again.
[/quote]
You're lack of faith in Rafa considering what he did for us last season is nothing short of shocking.

You criticise his transfer market dealings mentioning Crouch (who may prove to be a good buy), Nunez and Pellegrino (who Rafa has acknowledged weren't good enough and shipped out).  Have you forgotten some of the buys our rivals have made over the years? 

Mourinho spent 20-odd mil on Drogba, and also signed average players like Tiago, Kezman and Jarosik.  His good buys like Robben, SWP (probably) and Carvalho were already established big names and it took no skill to find these players in the market, just a large chequebook.

Ferguson signed Miller, Kleberson, Djemba and countless other duds in recent years yet you choose to bring up his big money buys like Horse and Rooney which again took no skill in talent spotting, just lots of cash.

Rafa has not got the budget of Chelsea or Man U which is why we don't make many big money signings.  His buys to date have generally been very astute (Alonso and Garcia - neither were household names in England) and he isn't afraid to admit when he is wrong such as with the Nunez signing.

You're a pessimism is pathetic and you clearly have massive gaps in your football knowledge.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion