Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:58 am wrote:
devaney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 am wrote:Red Focus - Markovich, Lovren, Llalana and probably Moreno don't really fit into your idea of low cost players. Aspas,Asaidi,Suso and less so Borini because he cost £12m fit the style of player you refer to. Surely we have moved on and become more demanding.

The problem of spending £40m and possibly more on an established striker is continuity. Just how much does the shirt mean to them and how long will they stay around? How greedy are they and what affect do they have on other players who earn considerably less and do a lot more? Generally they are a short term fix and not necessarily the answer.

FSG in their early days got seriously burned when they bought Carroll and Downing for a total of £55m which became £20m shortly afterwards and that's ignoring the shed load of money the two of them received in wages. We simply cannot carry on like that so if they are more cautious and imaginative then so be it.

If they are worried about getting burnt in the transfer market then they are in the wrong business mate, every club makes mistakes in the market, especially clubs trying to compete at the top end of the game.
Yes they lost on Carroll and Downing but hit the jackpot with Luis (and even Hendo at £16m plus add on's is starting to look like a snip).
Saying that I don't believe we need a star name center forward, I think we just need cover for Sturridge, Remy would have been perfect and if Bony wasn't so expensive he would have been a good option too (though I do have one or two concerns about his work rate).

I didn't suggest that FSG were worried about getting burned. They've been on a learning curve along with Ayres, and a very steep one at that, so it doesn't come as any great surprise that they decided to dramatically strengthen the overall squad rather than simply go out and buy a striker for crazy money. That is the key difference. That is exactly the level of caution and imagination required if we are to succeed in four competitions this season. I'm sure they will also buy another striker before the window closes. Borini should not be forgotten. Did some decent work at Sunderland and his confidence has improved. Could certainly act as back up with Lambert. His CV is impressive and Poyet is no clown so he wouldn't be offering £14m for a no hoper.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 pm

People shouldn't underestimate how badly we need another striker imo.

If Sturridge picked a long-term or even medium-term injury we'd have no focal point for our attack.  Borini is quite frankly sh.it and Lambert is not good enough to be a starting player for an extended run of games (but is a useful option off the bench against teams defending deep eg Chelsea at Anfield last season).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 pm

we definitely do JC - but I think Brendon knows it too. Sanchez / Remy  + (apparent) enquiries for Lavezzi, Lacazette, Icardi, Eto'o, Falcao, cavani... I know some of those will be just media hype, or agents trying to secure better deals, but I think it's fairly obvious we want another striker... it's just trying to find who!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:14 am

I hope all the haggling over Moreno was worth the effort, the deal looks to be closing in now at 12 million pounds
killerp

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 am

devaney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 pm wrote:
I didn't suggest that FSG were worried about getting burned. They've been on a learning curve along with Ayres, and a very steep one at that, so it doesn't come as any great surprise that they decided to dramatically strengthen the overall squad rather than simply go out and buy a striker for crazy money. That is the key difference. That is exactly the level of caution and imagination required if we are to succeed in four competitions this season. I'm sure they will also buy another striker before the window closes. Borini should not be forgotten. Did some decent work at Sunderland and his confidence has improved. Could certainly act as back up with Lambert. His CV is impressive and Poyet is no clown so he wouldn't be offering £14m for a no hoper.

Imagination you call it? I think you have a really good one if you think the business we've done is acceptable. The only two signings I can understand the fees paid for and think are GOOD signings are Lovren and Markovic (potentially) even Markovic I'm not entirely sure on as I haven't really seen the lad and there is doubts over his composure and final decision.

We've signed players again, for £10,000,000 in the hope we can make them into £30,000,000 players and sell them on, rather than going out and signing the quality required to replace Luis and improve us as a side.

We've spent £45,000,000 on Lallana, Can and Origi... considering Remy was available for £8,500,000 and Fabregas went for £30,000,000 thats p!ss poor business in my book.

Then you mention Borini? Come off it Devaney... the lad is woefully inept. He can't even control a ball properly. When he first arrived the senior professionals at the club couldn't believe how bad he was and to be quite honest I can see why. Having a marvelous attitude towards fitness and work ethic is not enough to play for LFC, you have to be a good footballer as well, thats something Borini fails at. If he played for a league 1 side I doubt he'd score 20 goals in a season and I doubt he'd improve them either. He's nowhere near good enough and is playing over a league above his level at Sunderland so suggesting he could sit on the bench for us is complete and utter insanity.

Another Rodgers flop to add to the list.

Most of his signings since taking charge have been a joke with the obvious exceptions of Lovren, Coutinho and Sturridge.

Lallana and Allen are good players but we massively overpaid by a good £20,000,000 for both and the only other two who MIGHT really add to our cause are Can and Markovic. In 5 transfer windows and the huge amount spent, I find that absoloutely disgraceful if i'm being honest.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

Redman in wales » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:28 pm wrote:we definitely do JC - but I think Brendon knows it too. Sanchez / Remy  + (apparent) enquiries for Lavezzi, Lacazette, Icardi, Eto'o, Falcao, cavani... I know some of those will be just media hype, or agents trying to secure better deals, but I think it's fairly obvious we want another striker... it's just trying to find who!

Surely a backup striker is needed but guys have been wanting the club to sign a star striker (potential £40M~£50M signing). That would be great, but who do we drop in our surest setup? Surely BR is not considering a 2-strikers partnership since we've already Henderson, Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho, Sterling, Ibe, Suso, Lambert and Sturridge fighting for 5 slots up front with Coutinho, Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge a sure starter. Remy would be perfect but not to be. I reckon Rodgers might want Coutinho to play a false no.9 similar to Messi's role and only Sturridge out and out striker. But a reliable back-up to Sturridge is critical...but who? Eto?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am

Stu the Red » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:01 am wrote:Lallana and Allen are good players but we massively overpaid by a good £20,000,000 for both and the only other two who MIGHT really add to our cause are Can and Markovic. In 5 transfer windows and the huge amount spent, I find that absoloutely disgraceful if i'm being honest.

Not judging Lallana until I see what he can offer to our current squad in the months ahead and he may just be worth the fee...but Allen is no more than a £8M-£10M player. At current state of the squad, I don't think BR will spend the same £15M on Allen. Same with Borini and whoever suggested Aspas need to be stoned :glare:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:18 am

Santa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:01 am wrote:Lallana and Allen are good players but we massively overpaid by a good £20,000,000 for both and the only other two who MIGHT really add to our cause are Can and Markovic. In 5 transfer windows and the huge amount spent, I find that absoloutely disgraceful if i'm being honest.

Not judging Lallana until I see what he can offer to our current squad in the months ahead and he may just be worth the fee...but Allen is no more than a £8M-£10M player. At current state of the squad, I don't think BR will spend the same £15M on Allen. Same with Borini and whoever suggested Aspas need to be stoned :glare:

Lallana is no question a good talented player with untapped potential. However, he doesn't represent value in the current market. How anyone can justify him being nearly as costly as Fabregas is baffling. Lallana at £12,000,000-£15,000,000 yes, at £25,000,000? He's just not that good.

If he does improve us dramatically the fee will be forgotten but I can assure you he won't. He'll play at times instead of Henderson, Coutinho and in wide area's and be a good player for us. But never a world beater.

As for Sturridge, I'm sorry, he wasn't our best player last year. He needs to be replaced, espeically now Suarez is gone. Sturridge is a decent number two striker/sub, he's not a top class forward, never has been, never will be, despite his goal scoring record.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Behave there, there's not many strikers in the world i'd swap for Sturridge on last seasons form.
Kopite-Jud

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:18 am wrote:
Santa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am wrote:

Lallana is no question a good talented player with untapped potential. However, he doesn't represent value in the current market. How anyone can justify him being nearly as costly as Fabregas is baffling. Lallana at £12,000,000-£15,000,000 yes, at £25,000,000? He's just not that good.

If he does improve us dramatically the fee will be forgotten but I can assure you he won't. He'll play at times instead of Henderson, Coutinho and in wide area's and be a good player for us. But never a world beater.

As for Sturridge, I'm sorry, he wasn't our best player last year. He needs to be replaced, espeically now Suarez is gone. Sturridge is a decent number two striker/sub, he's not a top class forward, never has been, never will be, despite his goal scoring record.

Who would you get then Stu?

As I mentioned earlier, Brendon definitely agrees with you, but it's not his fault no-one wants to come

From today:
Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 
#LFC still looking for a striker. Have enquired about Benzema, Falcao and Cavani. But have been told 'no chance'
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Stu ffs pack in all the negative shight. It's downright fkg boring. You abused Benny the Goon's negativity but to be honest you're beginning to sound just as bad. Your assurances are becoming a tad worthless mate. The garbage you have written about Sturridge is pathetic. As for Sterling well to be honest he's made you look just a bit silly. Recently yo said you knew very little about Markovic and then went on to list his potential shortcomings! Beginning to think your just a bit of a WUM. Shame because I like your sensible stuff.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:38 pm

devaney » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:35 pm wrote:Stu ffs pack in all the negative shight. It's downright fkg boring. You abused Benny the Goon's negativity but to be honest your beginning to sound just as bad. Your assurances are becoming a tad worthless mate. The garbage you have written about Sturridge is pathetic. As for Sterling well to be honest he's made you look just a bit silly. Beginning to think your jus a bit of a WUM. Shame because I like your sensible stuff.

Sorry Stu, but agree with Dev on this...  Your posts can be very informative and your obviously very knowledgable but your negativity is not good, nothing personal at all btw
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 pm

devaney » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:35 pm wrote:Stu ffs pack in all the negative shight. It's downright fkg boring. You abused Benny the Goon's negativity but to be honest you're beginning to sound just as bad. Your assurances are becoming a tad worthless mate. The garbage you have written about Sturridge is pathetic. As for Sterling well to be honest he's made you look just a bit silly. Recently yo said you knew very little about Markovic and then went on to list his potential shortcomings! Beginning to think your just a bit of a WUM. Shame because I like your sensible stuff.

can't agree more
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:19 pm

cardiff-red » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38 pm wrote:
devaney » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:35 pm wrote:Stu ffs pack in all the negative shight. It's downright fkg boring. You abused Benny the Goon's negativity but to be honest your beginning to sound just as bad. Your assurances are becoming a tad worthless mate. The garbage you have written about Sturridge is pathetic. As for Sterling well to be honest he's made you look just a bit silly. Beginning to think your jus a bit of a WUM. Shame because I like your sensible stuff.

Sorry Stu, but agree with Dev on this...  Your posts can be very informative and your obviously very knowledgable but your negativity is not good, nothing personal at all btw

Don't feed the troll
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:24 pm

If we have enquired about the availability of Benzema, Cavani and Falcao after already forking out £100m in this window then we really mean business.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion