Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 pm

The reason I said you're clueless is because you sit there and slag off Lambert, which I understand, he's not the best, but then praise a pile of dog turd like Bony. Bony is rubbish and in no way the answer in any way shape or form. He's a poor mans Emile Heskey. Remy would have been a decent signing, especially for the money, but he's no world beater. How you can advocate signing Bony though is just a joke. We should be looking at world class forward to replace Suarez, Sturridge will also get found out this year now he doesn't have Suarez to bounce off.

Some of the best form displayed by Sturridge last season was without Suarez in the side...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Must have missed that... Just because he scored three goals at the start of the season when Suarez was suspended does not mean he was better when Luis didn't play.

The ball does not stick upfront when Sturridge plays alone, it doesn't get held up, there is no work rate from your forward line and the standard of link up play is very poor, his movement is also always 100% selfish. It worked last season due to Suarez's brilliance, if anyone thinks that Sturridge is the answer upfront then they're badly mistaken. He will always score goals, but he'll always have the type of attitude that stinks of "I've scored my goal now so I couldn't give a f*ck if the team lost".

Given the fact our midfield isn't the best defensively then I fear we're in for a hard season as a lot of forward passes that stuck last season, will not stick as well this year.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:09 pm wrote:Must have missed that... Just because he scored three goals at the start of the season when Suarez was suspended does not mean he was better when Luis didn't play.

The ball does not stick upfront when Sturridge plays alone, it doesn't get held up, there is no work rate from your forward line and the standard of link up play is very poor, his movement is also always 100% selfish. It worked last season due to Suarez's brilliance, if anyone thinks that Sturridge is the answer upfront then they're badly mistaken. He will always score goals, but he'll always have the type of attitude that stinks of "I've scored my goal now so I couldn't give a f*ck if the team lost".

Given the fact our midfield isn't the best defensively then I fear we're in for a hard season as a lot of forward passes that stuck last season, will not stick as well this year.

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55SloahAj0
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Some of you are complaining about not signing players that we already signed! We signed a CB, a DM and a winger. We raised our squad depth as well (important, considering we have some odd 60 games to play). We haven't signed a striker yet but we're definitely looking for one, BR confirmed that a few times. I agree that we could have done slightly better but some of you are overreacting.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Rodgers confirmed in his post match interview on LFC TV that we still have more business to do so we aren't finished yet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:17 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm wrote:Rodgers confirmed in his post match interview on LFC TV that we still have more business to do so we aren't finished yet.

I feel like the deal with Moreno is complete for one
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:50 am

killerp

Postby Red Focus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:34 am

Yes, Brendan and FSG all think alike when it comes to transfer ie wary of splashing out too much on a single player, looking for youngsters with potential that can be molded to suit Brendan's philosophy, only try to sign the star names if they are available on the cheap like when they're available for less than 15 million (impossible) etc.

We are in dire need of signing another good striker to compliment or to fill in Danny's boots when he is out with his persistent hamstring injuries. I want Brendan to sign Bony to fit in that role and received loads of disagreements. Let me make this clear, I am no big fan of Bony meself. I would love to see Brendan signing Cavani, Falcao, Benzema, Sanchez(who went to Arsenal) etc. But the problem is, those guys either are not interested because we're now a 3rd tier club in the CL and we're no longer the football superpower like we used to decades ago AND even if those guys want to come, they would come at a high price and knowing Brendan and FSG, they are not willing to pay 'over the odds' like more than 40M for those kind of world class quality player. So signing the Cavanis, Falcaos is out of the question for us.

I mentioned Bony not because I will be excited to see him here, but he is the best bet that suits into Brendan and FSG's transfer policy ie young and not too expensive and though Bony is no Benzema or Cavani, I believe he is capable of scoring 20 goals a season for us plus he wants to come to Liverpool.

So with money to spend after the LS sale and our transfer policy is not to sign quality, expensive players, then all I can hope for is for the young players they've signed to turn out good in a few seasons like Markovic, Manquillo, Origi(at Lillie) etc. So the wait for the PL title will go on.....
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby devaney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 am

Red Focus - Markovich, Lovren, Llalana and probably Moreno don't really fit into your idea of low cost players. Aspas,Asaidi,Suso and less so Borini because he cost £12m fit the style of player you refer to. Surely we have moved on and become more demanding.

The problem of spending £40m and possibly more on an established striker is continuity. Just how much does the shirt mean to them and how long will they stay around? How greedy are they and what affect do they have on other players who earn considerably less and do a lot more? Generally they are a short term fix and not necessarily the answer.

FSG in their early days got seriously burned when they bought Carroll and Downing for a total of £55m which became £20m shortly afterwards and that's ignoring the shed load of money the two of them received in wages. We simply cannot carry on like that so if they are more cautious and imaginative then so be it.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

devaney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 am wrote:Red Focus - Markovich, Lovren, Llalana and probably Moreno don't really fit into your idea of low cost players. Aspas,Asaidi,Suso and less so Borini because he cost £12m fit the style of player you refer to. Surely we have moved on and become more demanding.

The problem of spending £40m and possibly more on an established striker is continuity. Just how much does the shirt mean to them and how long will they stay around? How greedy are they and what affect do they have on other players who earn considerably less and do a lot more? Generally they are a short term fix and not necessarily the answer.

FSG in their early days got seriously burned when they bought Carroll and Downing for a total of £55m which became £20m shortly afterwards and that's ignoring the shed load of money the two of them received in wages. We simply cannot carry on like that so if they are more cautious and imaginative then so be it.

If they are worried about getting burnt in the transfer market then they are in the wrong business mate, every club makes mistakes in the market, especially clubs trying to compete at the top end of the game.
Yes they lost on Carroll and Downing but hit the jackpot with Luis (and even Hendo at £16m plus add on's is starting to look like a snip).
Saying that I don't believe we need a star name center forward, I think we just need cover for Sturridge, Remy would have been perfect and if Bony wasn't so expensive he would have been a good option too (though I do have one or two concerns about his work rate).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:21 am

samuel our transfer policy is not a shambles eto.
enough said  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

How can people moan about Eto, we have not signed him!
Im reasonably happy with our business so far.
We can all pick holes in whats happening but we are just been speculative until we see how well we perform this season.
I remember people not being to bowled over when Suarez was signed and look how that panned out...
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 am wrote:samuel our transfer policy is not a shambles eto.

Well after all this I can understand Rodgers is now desperate after so many rejections & disappointments..

Sanchez: "Im off to London"
Falcao: "i'm off to Madrid"
Lavezzi: "I'm Staying"
Reus: "Nein"
Benzema:"Not a chance"
Baloteli:"My house is on fire..."

....i'm afraid only the reject bin and the geriatric ward seem our only option now  :down:
killerp

Postby C-R » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 pm

killerp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:54 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 am wrote:samuel our transfer policy is not a shambles eto.

Well after all this I can understand Rodgers is now desperate after so many rejections & disappointments..

Sanchez: "Im off to London"
Falcao: "i'm off to Madrid"
Lavezzi: "I'm Staying"
Reus: "Nein"
Benzema:"Not a chance"
Baloteli:"My house is on fire..."

....i'm afraid only the reject bin and the geriatric ward seem our only option now  :down:

I have read this morning on another site that our attempts to sign Eto'o is perhaps a way to get Bony to lower his wage demands, wouldn't be suprised to see Bony end up here come the end of the window
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm

we have more than enough time to sign a better option than eto, one that has a future with the club. eto has long forgotten about football and is just after the next club who is willing to pay his silly wage while he pretends to be a top player.
one thing for sure is being linked with stopgaps like him means we are out of options.  :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion